It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Cancer Patients Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2007, 05:28 PM   #1
(female)

pdipaola HB User
Question Husband diagnosed with rectal cancer

My husband was diagnosed with rectal cancer. His mass is quite large and causing much pain. He has gone through many tests to see if it has spread in vital organs or metastisized which so far it has not. The last test we are waiting on is his prostate. He has already been told he will need a colostamy which we are adjusting to but my thought always remains the same, he is still surviving. I have been past the crying, hurt and anger. Now, I just want him to be comfortable and ease his pain. He is suppossed to go through radiation and chemo before his surgery which has not started yet. How can I ease his pain for now. Is it possible or am I just wishing upon a star?

Patti

Old 10-15-2007, 04:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User
Re: Husband diagnosed with rectal cancer

Hi Patti, I am so sorry you have to be here but we will help and support you as much as we can. It is so awful to see a loved one in pain and feel there is nothing you can do about it. Are the doctors able to prescribe something to help? Hopefully, the radiotherapy will help to ease the pain by reducing the tumour. When is it to start? There are people on this board who can advise and encourage regarding the colostomy. Meawhile, having you by his side to give support and love will help your husband a great deal. Do keep posting with any other questions.

Love,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2007, 12:37 PM   #3
(male)

PCTECH01 HB User

Hi Pdipaola:
You have to be your hubby's chearleader in the weeks and months ahead. From what you are saying it appears the cancer has not spread to other part of the body and that is good. My BIL had a similar diagnosis and treatment, and by the time the chemo & radiation treatments had been finalized, the tumor mass had been killed and shrunk to nothing, but then still the surgeon has to do his thing, but you do adjust to the bag. The good news about rectal cancer is that it is slow growing. Now, if you want to count your blessings, do a web search for "glioblastoma" cancer cells, i.e. brain tumor. This is a cancer that you do not want to face and count your lucky stars that you are not dealing with it. I have spent many a night at 2 websites that deal with this disease, and the outcome for many suffers is not good. This fast growing cancer often results in death and the survival rate beyond 5 years is extemely small. My MIL died from this disease and she prayed contantly for her son's survival, and her prayers were answered. Just today the newspapers are reporting the survival rate for colin cancer has increased signifcantly these past years! So keep looking for good news, come hear often for advise-- this website has the best contributors to be found on the net and keep working for that happier day that will come! Peace-- you and your husband are in my prayers. PcTech

Last edited by PCTECH01; 10-15-2007 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Addressed incorrectly

Old 10-16-2007, 08:35 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Heidi'sMom HB User

Pdipoala, I have/had rectal cancer. I also have a colostomy. It is a very good thing that they caught it before it had spread to other organs (like the liver). Unfortunately, I wasn't so lucky. I did not have radiation or chemotherapy before my surgery due to another life-threatening illness (necrotizing fasciitis) that sent me to the hospital. I was not expected to live for 48 hours (thank God for praying folks as it is 13 months later and I am still here!) You can read that story if you want to in an earlier post. It was a scary time for my family, indeed! When I first started chemo (in December 2006) I was in a very weakened condition (the doctors didn't even think I would be able to handle chemo). I was on the FOLFOX6 regimen + Avastin for 6 months. The 2 tumors on my liver shrunk significantly, but they are still there (stubborn little things), so I currently take chemo in pill form (Xeloda).

What can you do for him?...Just be there. He will have his good days and his bad days in dealing with this diagnosis. Being a good listener helps, too. Whenever I get the blues (it's not too often), my husband just sits there and listens while I cry over the piddliest things.

Hopefully, he will adjust mentally to having a colostomy. Most people do. I've had mine for a year, though, and I have to say (embarrassingly) that it is the one thing I am finding so hard to accept. There is a good website for ostomates. I'm sorry I can't provide the link to you (it's not allowed by HealthBoards) but if you do a search for colostomy message boards you will find it easily enough.

God bless both you and your husband. If you have praying friends/family they can be a huge support, as well. Please feel free to ask me if you have any questions about colostomies. I can't speak to radiation, though.

Closed Thread