It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Cancer Patients Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2007, 03:29 PM   #1
(female)

ronda88 HB User
Husband with new Dx stage 4 colon cancer

My husband was just diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer. He has been healthy all his life and is just 35 years old. We have 3 small children and this news has been devestating. His tumor is sigmoid and has metastatic disease to the peritoneum and has porta hepatis with many lymph nodes and possible liver mets. He had to undergo an ERCP with stent placement to bile duct to relieve jaundice and delayed chemo start for 3 weeks. They do not want to operate now, but just chemo at first. We have received 2 opinions which are the same. Any suggestions on a large cancer center that may offer us some hope? He just completed his first FOLFOX6 regimen this week and is starting to have abdominal pain. His pathology is mucinous adenocarcinoma which is supposed to be very aggressive.

I would appreciate any advise.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2007, 06:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User
Re: Husband with new Dx stage 4 colon cancer

I am so sorry to hear your news...I can imagine how devastating it was to get this diagnosis, especially having three small children. I cannot advise on cancer centers as I do not live in the US but hopefully someone else will have information on that. It is good that you were able to get two opinions that were the same...that gives you more confidence in the treatment plan.

Do look after yourself. Being a caregiver myself (to my husband dx four years ago with Stage 111C rectal cancer and having lymphoma myself) I know how hard it is to see the one you love in pain and fear. I hope you have good family support to help you through the next few months.

Do post again. There are others on this board who are Stage 1V and who will be able to encourage you on your husband's journey to recovery.

Love,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2007, 08:05 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

backslide05 HB User

Hello,
I read your post and I too am a caregiver with a husband undergoing Chemo (Folfox also) for Stage 3 colon cancer. He is 44. our one son is grown, thankfully, but I can only imagine what you are both going through. I think that being young, (35) gives him an advantage with treatment from what I've heard. I've read of many Stage IV survivors who are going forward with treatment and doing pretty well, so don't give up hope. My husband sat next to a guy getting chemo last week who was a stage IV and was doing well, also dealing with multiple tumours.

Look at each day as the gift that it is, keep the faith - and trust and reach out when you need to to people who can and will be helpful to you.
I wish you well.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:13 PM   #4
(female)

bmccrea HB User

Dear Ronda,

I am so sorry to hear of your husband's diagnosis. He is so young to have to go down this road. All of you will be in my prayers.

On another board there is a 34 year old mother of 3, with stage 4 cancer who has started going to the Cancer Centers of America in Philadelphia. There are four around the US. One in Washington state, Oklahoma, Illinois and the newest is in Philadelphia. They provide a small apartment for those who have to stay for radiation, and they provide a shuttle back and forth to the center so you do not have to rent a car or get a cab. I do know that for the first visit, they pay your travel expenses. I do not know about subsequent visits. You can type the name in a search engine to find the site.

I hope this helps.

Love and Blessings,

Barbara

Old 11-10-2007, 12:25 PM   #5
(female)

ronda88 HB User

Thanks for the advise and words of encouragement. I hope your husband continues to do well. God bless!!

Old 11-12-2007, 11:41 AM   #6
(female)

GeeGee99 HB User

Rhona I am so sorry to hear of your husbands diagnosis. I am new to these boards, I have been lurking for a while but finally registered because I felt the need to write you because our situations are so simular. My DH was diagnosed with Stage 3 colon cancer back in March. They originally thought he had mets to the liver but it turned out to be fatty tissue. He had 12 limph nodes removed and it was in 7 of them. He is 42 years young. It is very scarey but I can tell you there is so much hope and treatment has come a long way. We also have 1 young child, 8 years old. It was very scarey, he just finished 12 rounds of chemo. The hardest part was telling our daughter. I never kept it from her, she is completely educated now and understands completely. The chemo was not as bad as I thought it would be, and he managed to work full time during all of it. He never lost any hair and never got sick. Now that he is done with chemo has has to have a cat scan in 4 weeks to make sure he is all clear, lets pray he is.

Good luck and my prayers are with you and your family

Chris

Old 11-12-2007, 11:56 AM   #7
(female)

ronda88 HB User

Thanks for sharing your story. I am glad to hear that things are looking good for you. I will keep you in my prayers. It is great to hear words on encouragement in a time like this. We have finished 1 round of chemo and his pain seems to have gotten worse. I don't know if this is good (maybe the cancer is dying) or bad because it has grown and is getting worse. We pray that it is the cancer cells dying. Our next chemo will start Nov 19th. Please keep me informed of your progress.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:06 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

backslide05 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeGee99 View Post
Rhona I am so sorry to hear of your husbands diagnosis. I am new to these boards, I have been lurking for a while but finally registered because I felt the need to write you because our situations are so simular. My DH was diagnosed with Stage 3 colon cancer back in March. They originally thought he had mets to the liver but it turned out to be fatty tissue. He had 12 limph nodes removed and it was in 7 of them. He is 42 years young. It is very scarey but I can tell you there is so much hope and treatment has come a long way. We also have 1 young child, 8 years old. It was very scarey, he just finished 12 rounds of chemo. The hardest part was telling our daughter. I never kept it from her, she is completely educated now and understands completely. The chemo was not as bad as I thought it would be, and he managed to work full time during all of it. He never lost any hair and never got sick. Now that he is done with chemo has has to have a cat scan in 4 weeks to make sure he is all clear, lets pray he is.

Good luck and my prayers are with you and your family

Chris
GeeGee,
I wanted to respond to your post. Your story and mine are so similar. My DH was diagnosed in April (Friday the 13th) with Stage 3 colon cancer and was 43 at the time. He also had a spot on his liver which turned out to be fatty? so that was a huge relief. He had 12 of 36 nodes positive. He is coming up on his 10th treatment of Folfox. Although he didn't suffer too much he did develop blood clots and was hospitalized for a week and is now suffering very bad neuropathy. His onc is going to reduce the oxiliplatin by 25%. He isn't able to work full time unfortunately but hopefully will be able to when this is all over.
Was your husband on Folfox also? I pray all continues to go well with him and hope you post good news when his scan shows clear. best wishes.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:06 PM   #9
(female)

GeeGee99 HB User

I POSTED A LONG REPLY WHERE DID IT GO ?

Old 11-12-2007, 12:57 PM   #10
(female)

GeeGee99 HB User

Backslide05, Yes my husband is on Folfox he wears a 48 hour pump twice a month. He does complain that his hands and feet a numb but not to bad. I am proud of him he has been really strong and possitive through all of this I and I think that is extremely important. I am so glad its over and pray everyday that he can remain clean to see his daughter grow up ! Good luck to everyone !

Old 11-16-2007, 12:19 PM   #11
(female)

cptmac HB User

I just got onto this board. I was diagnosed with Stage IV cc with mets to the liver in July of 04. I was originally told by the great doctors in my state, that I had 18 months to live with treatment, but could die at any minute.

I went to a major cancer hospital.

Once I did, I signed up for a Stage II clinical trial. I've had no evidence of disease since September of '04.

Good luck.

Last edited by moderator2; 11-16-2007 at 12:21 PM. Reason: posted contact info

Old 11-16-2007, 02:38 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

backslide05 HB User

that's a very encouraging story, and I'm glad you are doing well after your diagnosis. What time of regimen were you on during the clinical trial?
Was it a new chemo that was being studied at that time?
Best wishes for continued good health

Old 11-16-2007, 03:13 PM   #13
(female)

ronda88 HB User

cptmac,

Can I ask where you received treatment and what drugs you received? Also, do you know if the trial you are in is still open? My husband is stage 4. They quoted 2-2 1/2 years for survival. He is 35 yo with 3 young children. I cannot accept this to be true. I want to go wherever they can help him. His cancer is mucinous adenocarcinoma and has spread to many lymph nodes, peritoneal wall and they are not sure about liver-some ?cysts seen on last CT. We just started treatment with FOLFOX and are scheduled for round 2 next Monday.

Ronda

Old 11-16-2007, 03:29 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User

That is encouraging! How quickly doctors seem to be able to give patients their opinion of prognosis. It is enough to make one give up! It just shows how wrong they can be. Keep well.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:23 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

Heidi'sMom HB User

CPTMAC, I would be interested in knowing what hospital and what kind of treatmentm as well. It would be SO helpful if we could send PMs on this board. It is the only message board where you cannot post links to other helpful sites or send PMs. I was diagnosed stage IV with 2 mets to liver and 1 to lung in August 2006. Did FOLFOX6 + Avastin for 6 months. I am currently taking Xeloda (which doesn't have many side effects and it is a pill). Now my doctor is adding Avastin again because the nodule in my lung grew a little since my last scan 5 months ago! I'm sure there are lots of us stage IV's who are searching for any and all clinical trials, etc. I'm feeling good, but like everyone would like to get this beast into remission!

Thanks! Your story was very encouraging.

Closed Thread