It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Cancer Patients Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2007, 02:12 PM   #1
(female)

princesssugar HB User
husband has stage 4 colon cancer

My husband was diagnosed nov 6,2007. he had emergency surgery after his colonoscopy to remove a baseball size tumor and has a colostomy now which he hates! They said the remaining ones are only on the colon-above and below-the section taken out.He is going to start chemo soon.I keep hearing that it spreads usually and I know we have a long road ahead. He is 54 and dropped 60 lbs. right before and after the surgery. Has anyone had any luck with cures such as raising your PH and so on??????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2007, 04:22 PM   #2
(female)

cynthiaf HB User
Re: husband has stage 4 colon cancer

Does your husband have colon or rectal cancer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2007, 07:51 AM   #3
(female)

princesssugar HB User

he has colon cancer. I got him drops to raise his PH and Essaic pills.It has herbs that are supposed to fight cancer.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:58 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Heidi'sMom HB User

Has he been told that he is stage IV? If so, where has it spread to? I believe that if he is stage IV that means the cancer has traveled to a distant organ e.g. liver or lung. You only mentioned the spots above and below the tumor.

I have stage IV cancer and had a colostomy 17 months ago. You mentioned that he hates it. I think it would be safe to say that that is the case with most people who have "new" colostomies. I can't say that I "like" having one -- I CAN say that I "hated" it for a very long time -- much longer than I should have. I think it is because it (the colostomy, not the feces) is something he can "see", if you understand what I'm saying. He will adjust to it over time. If I have...anyone can...trust me. I'm still hoping for a reversal someday but that's not in the cards right now, so the colostomy has just become part of my "new normal". He will adjust...the timing is just different for everybody. There is a board for people with ostomies, but we're not supposed to post links to anything here, so you might just have to do a search for it.

Hope this helps.

pam

Old 01-05-2008, 04:45 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

princess, what prompted him to get checked out for this? I go for my Colonoscopy on Tuesday, trying to stay posotive!
Love, Monkey

Old 01-09-2008, 08:07 PM   #6
(female)

jelz HB User

I read your post over and over again and wanted to respond so many times but couldn't until now.
First, I would like to say how sorry I am. Although everyone deals differently, I am sure that I can relate very closely with you.
My husband as well was diagnosed at the age of 50 with stage 4 colon cancer spread through out his body, he was originally given two months. He lost over 80 lbs in a matter of three months. He wasn't lucky enough to be able to have a bag. There were too many tumours. He did start chemo and it helped quite alot, he gained weight back and started feeling better. It's certainly not an easy road and it was gradual but we got one good year where he was able to live quite normally.
It is possible to live a very long time, my spouse lived almost two years. We never gave up hope and he fought hard.
We were so angry at first, go back and read my posts, (some of them don't even make sense) Once you get past the angry and adjustment, say all you want to say to each other.
I know this probably isn't what you want to hear but it is the truth. Everyday brings us one step closer to a cure. Don't give up hope. Listen to what he says and how he feels and let him make his decisions. (some you may not like)
Don't forget to take care of yourself as well. People on this board are very good and always told me that. I didn't always do it but you can't help him if you aren't well.
I will be thinking of you.
Joy

Last edited by jelz; 01-09-2008 at 08:07 PM.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:24 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

members, sorry to hear off your diagnosises, my thoughts are with you. I am awaiting Biopsy results myself. Although i didn't have any polyps visibile he still did it due to my issues. Can anyone tell me if they felt any discomfort in the upper abdomen from this or anything similiar?
Love, Monkey

Old 01-09-2008, 08:43 PM   #8
(female)

jelz HB User

Brian didn't feel the tumours and nothing showed on most tests he had. Finally after losing much weight he was having pain and they did more tests but only one showed up. It wasn't until they attemted and aborted the operation that they realized that they were throughout him. Sorry, not trying to scare anyone but if someone thinks that there is more to it, insist on having more indepth tests. (they kept telling him it was gas)

The Following User Says Thank You to jelz For This Useful Post:
TIggers (07-24-2012)
Old 01-09-2008, 08:46 PM   #9
(female)

jelz HB User

Brian didn't feel the tumours but started losing weight and nothing showed on most tests he had. Finally after losing much weight he started having pain and they did more tests but only one tumour showed up. It wasn't until they attemted and aborted the operation that they realized that they were throughout him. Sorry, not trying to scare anyone but if someone thinks that there is more to it, insist on having more indepth tests. (they kept telling him it was gas)

Old 01-09-2008, 09:19 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

jelz, what other tests are there besides blood work or Colonoscopy?
Love, Monkey

Old 01-10-2008, 06:05 AM   #11
(female)

jelz HB User

MRI's, Catscans and Petscans. I have heard that the Petscans are amazing. Many people have them done but they are quite costly. I am in Canada and they are about $2500 in cost but I have heard that they can see almost everythiing. Brian wouldn't have it done, he didn't want to know anything. I know alot of people with Cancer of the Unknown Primary have it done to detect where the cancer first starts. It doesn't gaurantee anything but certainly if you think that there is a chance of tumours then you should see about getting one.
Good luck.
Joy

Old 01-10-2008, 06:51 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

joy, thanks a bunch! I had an MRI done in the last year or so, and it did detect cysts on my ovaries, so i think i'm in the clear at least there, so if i do have colon cancer it would seem like an very early stage, still waiting, hope i would think i would get a call today, as it is day three, but they are very busy i know. I just have horrible anxiety!
Love, Missy

Old 01-10-2008, 12:11 PM   #13
(female)

princesssugar HB User

constipation and pain especially after eating meat. He went to health dept and got a fecal test with came back positive. He was also losing weight. Then passed some blood clots. Hope you are ok.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:30 PM   #14
(female)

princesssugar HB User

It's only been 2 months since the diagnosis. Longest 2 months. He seems to be in constant pain since the emergency surgery (nov 7 right after the colonoscopy)to remove the large one. I am picking him up today from the hosp after his first chemo treatment. He has aged 20 years in a few months time.I hope he can improve to enjoy some more time. I have him on essiac pills and drops to raise his PH. It's worth a try but I wish I could find out more if it has helped anyone. I am desperate because we are soul mates.

Old 01-10-2008, 04:59 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

princess, hope your soulmate is doing okay since he came home? I just found out today that i won't know my results from the Biopsy until early or late next week ugh. I have all the symptoms but i am only hoping like i said because there was no polyps or a tumor i'm aware of that it is negative. It seems like if it was from IBS or Celiac Disease like they thought i would have all of the signs and the blood in the stool, so like i said trying to stay positive and knowing that i would definitely be the first case in the family.
Love, Missy

Closed Thread