It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Cancer Patients Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2008, 04:02 PM   #1
(female)

Goldie_Locks_5 HB User
My mom was just diagnosed - advice?

My mom got her diagnosis today. She sort of expected it one of these days, as her mom and sister both had breast cancer (both are survivors - my grandmother of 25 years!!)...

Fortunately in our family the women have all gotten it in their 60's- post menopause. My mother's was caught very early, too - so that is good.

The amount of info avail is overwhelming.... any advice on where to go for info/advice/treatment options, etc? Other than this board of course

Thank you for any advice you can offer- i'm sad for my mom and all she'll have to go through, but i know she'll get through this!

Old 04-10-2008, 08:39 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

leea1206 HB Userleea1206 HB User
Re: My mom was just diagnosed - advice?

Goldie locks-

So sorry about your mom but glad it was caught early. You are right, there is so much information and it is so overwhelming making treatment choices.

The web, in general is good to get basic breast cancer information. A book that is helpful is Dr. Susan Love's breast book. - It is a little detailed and technical but is a good basic resource. Finding a good breast surgeon and oncologist is half the battle. They should take alot of time with your mom, explaining all the treatment/surgery options for her particular situation. Be sure to get a copy of her pathology report and have them explain that to her. It is very scary at first, but things will get a little better, once a treatment plan is in place.

I have a family hx too and have been collecting articles re breast cancer for years, "just in case." Thought I had escaped the family curse, as I had almost made it to 50, but low and behold I was dxed at 48 in 06. Mine was found early too, on mammogram and doing well so far.

Might add ,my mom is a 28yr survivor, dxed with a large 6.2cm tumor. Only had L mastectomy, no other treatment, but yet here she is almost 30yrs later. Your mom will make it too.

Best wishes to you and your family.
Leea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2008, 02:19 PM   #3
(female)

tomatojuice HB User

hi so sorry about your mom. I was dx about 1 month ago. Recovering from masectomy, two weeks now. Starting already to feel really good. Will have to do chemo, not sure yet when. I also come from a family with cancer. Baby sister passed away 2003. She was dx in 99. Older sister dx at 50 is a 7 year survivor, doing great. I also have Dr. Susan Loves Breast Book-found it very helpful. Got it from the library.There are lots of sites online that offer a lot of info and support.One in particularlar carried me through this so far. We cannot name them on here. Just look up breast cancer, you will come up with a lot. The amazing thing about this desease is, so many woman unfortunately, have it. They call it the club no one wants to join. When I picked up the breast book from the library-the librarian was a survivor herself. She told me she had a double masectomy. And she looked to be a beautiful 75. All the best to you and your mom.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:23 PM   #4
(female)

tmarie907 HB User

Hi, I too am sorry to hear about your mom. I also am new here. Diagnosed last September and bilateral mastectomy in October 07. Chemo started in Dec. 07 and finishing up this month. I found two books to be very helpful while going through the last six months - The Breast Reconstruction Guidebook - I did not do reconstruction but the book walked me through the mastectomy surgery and what to expect, as well as reconstruction options.
I also found the Breast Cancer Prevention and Recovery Diet to be helpful and wishing I had it before I was diagnosed. But most importantly find the best Breast surgeon you can.

Closed Thread