It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Cancer Patients Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2008, 02:40 PM   #1
(female)

worriedmom200 HB User
Just told daughter's liver is failing

Surely someone out there has an idea of what we can expect? Is there anyone that can tell me any kind of time frame? She is in a tremendous amount of pain, and now has a pump to keep her comfortable. Her husband refuses to call hospice because he doesn't want anyone else to take care of her, and while I appreciate his love for her, he's going to wear himself out. Please someone give me a little advice to give him, and if you've been through this or are going through it now, write me back. Thanks....

Old 11-18-2008, 06:05 PM   #2
(male)

GarynFlorida HB User
Re: Just told daughter's liver is failing

I cannot speak to how long but I can speak to the benefits of hospice. My grandfather passed away due to lung cancer and my father due to melanoma.

In my grandfather's case a hospice nurse came to the house and made life much easier on my grandmother and everyone else that was around.

In my father's case, he was admitted to a hospice facility and they were great to him and our family.

In both cases the hospice personnel were able to keep the individual comfortable and without pain.

I'm sure you can read the benefits of hospice online in various places. I highly recommend your daughters husband does not try and do this alone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2008, 05:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User

I am so sorry to hear about your daughter. I can imagine how distressed you must be. We do not have Hospice here in the Bahamas and with both my husband and myself cancer survivors, that worries me a lot. I guess though all you can do is encourage your son in law to get help and assure him that he is in no way less supportive or loving if he accepts help at this challenging time. In fact, it is very important that he keeps strong, not only for your daughter, but for himself.

Alison

Old 11-21-2008, 08:59 AM   #4
(female)

anprdp HB User

I am very sorry to hear this. It is heartbreaking to watch the one you love suffer. But, I along with these lovely people have to agree hospice will make life much more comfortable for her and him. The nurses will be able to monitor her vitals, adjust pain medicines, order supplies, help in her daily care, etc. He can determine at what point he wants more help or less. At first, with my brother in law, his wife only had them do the medical side of things. As he went further down hill, she needed help getting him cleaned, shaved, etc. Hospice prolonged his life and comfort as long as they could and he passed Aug. 08 after a 4 year battle with colon cancer. He was 42. I think your son in law needs to understand that sometimes we, as humans, just need help. But, that he can get different levels of help as he needs them. Hospice will also help him and provide free counseling, someone to talk to, etc. And my sister in law loved the staff and they genuinely acted as if they adored them as well. I wish your family the best in this dark time.

Closed Thread