It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Cancer Patients Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2009, 02:09 PM   #1
(female)

dillygirl HB User
my husband has stage IV colon & rectum cancer

This Is my first time posting, as i usually just spend alot of time reading other peoples posts, since my husband got sick 12-31-08.
After alot of differnt diagnosises, and alot of testing, they after first going with "undetermined origin" are going with rectalcolon, 4th stage.
It has gone thru his lungs, liver, groin, testies, back, neck and a couple unknow spots in his brain.I am so confussed, alot of you talk about the sugeries you have had, yet the Dr,s say they cant operate on my husband.
He started on chemo yesterday, of Eloxatin, and an oral called Xeloda.His treatments will e every 21 days for IV infussion, and 14 day on oral.
They talk so optomistic at the clinic, like he is going to be ok for awhile, but this is uncurable.
I cant stop reading, to try and learn, how long he may be here.I am scared to know, yet i must know..Does anybody have any thoughts about his time left here, with the chemo treatments he is getting, I know they have success with these 2 combined recently.
Everybody i know that i tell where it has spread just say "i am so sorry".
I asked The Dr, he said he could not give us an answer, but they have some great new trial drugs right now.
What the heck ! i know they dont know anything for sure, but will we get 2 maybe 5 years here out of this treatmnet?
By the way he is only 49 yrs old, and very healthy until now.His only symptom, was a huge weight loss.How the heck did this spread so far without being noticed by his Dr, whom he saw once a month, for blood work for borderline diabetes.
He was admitted on New years day for a bad belly ache.he was also almost glowing in gold color, because his liver had stopped working right, and they had to put a stint in him to drain it.The nighmare has just kept going, I cant wake up from this bad dream....
My poor wonderful husband, my heart is aching for him, and the pain he has been going through.I hope this treatmnet will help the pain soon, by shrinking that tumor, or tumors? in his colon..and get that blockage moving on out..anybody out there been through this might give me hope for time.

Last edited by dillygirl; 01-24-2009 at 02:11 PM. Reason: error

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2009, 05:59 AM   #2
(female)

jespsl HB User
Re: my husband has stage IV colon & rectum cancer

I am sorry you had the same news as I got back in March 0f 08. My husband went in for his colonoscopy, which the Dr. had bugged him for a couple of years to get one. That is when we found out he has 2 tumors 1 cancer and 1 benign. The cancer is so far down into the rectum, they don't want to operate. The Dr. said it is treatable, but not curable and that quaility of life is the issue here. They started him on radiation daily with some chemo once a week. That went on through June. Gave him a break for a couple of weeks so he could go up and visit his mom, then when we came back they started chemo every 2 weeks with the pump on 24/7 for 44-48 hrs, in addition to receiving some chemo in the office too. His latest scans showed it has now gone into the bones of the pelvic region and his tailbone. They did radiation again trying to shrink the tumor more thinking that was causing all his pain, but it hasn't helped. Wednesday 1/28 they are going to start a new chemo cocktail mix see if that helps. He is now on the fentinal patch 75, changes patch every 72 hrs, plus he has dilaudid for break thru pain 2 every 3-4 hrs. If they could get the pain in check I think that is one of the most important things. His patience is down to almost 0, which makes it hard when you are trying to discuss things -"I don't want to talk about it anyore" is a common answer. I have found that talking with my friends helps me a deal with it some, plus I am still working full time and that keeps my mind off of it temporarily (he doesn't want me to go to the Dr. with him). Take care of yourself, cause if you get sick, it won't be any help to him.

Keep me updated. Our prayers are with you and your family.

Jeannie

Old 01-25-2009, 09:07 AM   #3
(female)

dillygirl HB User

jeannie,
I am sorry for what you are going through as well.Just knowing someone else, out there that understands how I am feeling, right now sounds selfish but i dont care! I am hurting like there is no tomorrow, and I have never felt so helpless.
I am going to get it together, and try and start pulling this family together,and get it out of the shocked, scared, stage and try and face this head on.The nights are the worse for me, so i will try and get some sleep aid for now.
You stay strong too, your husband, does not want you to see him sick and thinks he is protecting you from it all. Just be there as he allows for now.Thanks for your prayers and support, I am with you too, and will be watching for you, and pulling for you.
Wendy

Last edited by dillygirl; 01-25-2009 at 09:08 AM.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:06 PM   #4
(female)

rosalie53 HB User

dillygirl I am sorry for all that you and your husband are going through. I think that you need to tell the doctor that he needs to speak plainly to you and let you know exactly what is going on with your husband's health. I will pray for both of you. Take care of yourself as best you can. rosalie

Old 02-05-2009, 12:42 AM   #5
(male)

cheesy burrito HB User

i am 18 years old and i have experienced quite a few colon cancer symptoms. what should i look for in specific and if noticed, what should i do?

Old 02-05-2009, 03:51 AM   #6
(female)

jespsl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy burrito View Post
i am 18 years old and i have experienced quite a few colon cancer symptoms. what should i look for in specific and if noticed, what should i do?
Go to the doctor and get checked out. That is the best thing. My husband was told to get a colonoscopy for 3 years and waited, by then it was too late he already had cancer. If he had the test done when the doctor first told him, they would have removed the polyp and everthing would be different now.

If you think there is something wrong get checked out, it could be something else not as serious. Either way go to a doctor and don't put it off.

Good luck.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:57 PM   #7
(female)

dillygirl HB User

thanks for the support!

Closed Thread