It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Cancer Patients Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2009, 08:58 PM   #1
(female)

desigrl HB User
Unhappy It hit me...hit me hard! :(

Just found out my mom has Multiple Myeloma, this cancer is uncurable but treatable she is in the third and final stage. Because of this her kidneys have stopped working, she needs dialysis, chemotherapy, steroid shots...she still hasn't stopped vomiting, she has been vomiting for 2 months and throws up the tiniest crumb of food and the smallest amount of water. My family is telling me she won't be with us for too long...is this true? I don't think they are telling me the truth...i don't know what I will do without her, she has always been the person i ran to no matter what. I love her to death and I would take her cancer if I could, it's been really hard watching her at the hospital all day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2009, 06:25 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

vh90453 HB User
Re: It hit me...hit me hard! :(

I'm so sorry to hear of your Mum's diagnosis. I don't know anything about her illness so I am unable to help there. As a Mum myself the last thing I would want is for my child to suffer for any reason. Your Mum is quite possibly more worried about how her ilness is affecting you than herself. Treasure the time you have left together, remember you have a lifetime of happy memories, someone you love never really dies, they stay alive in your heart forever.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2009, 08:51 AM   #3
(female)

desigrl HB User

Thank you for your kind words. God bless.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:21 AM   #4
(female)

sonsshine HB User

Re: It hit me hard

I just found this board. First of all, how is Mom doing? I too have multiple myeloma. When diagnosed over 4 years ago, my kidneys had so much calcium in them they were shutting down. Had a stem cell transplant over three years ago, worked for awhile now playing with it again. I truly hope Mom is still here. They have come up with so much more these days. Just be there for her, when she needs you and leave her alone when she doesn't. Please let me know.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:59 PM   #5
(female)

desigrl HB User

sonsshine, thank you for your comment. My mom is doing ok, I guess. She is getting used to going to dialysis three times a week for 4 hours each time. The past few weeks have been good. Before that she was in the hospital once again, she had the shingles and a severe infection. She has lost 70lbs. She forgets a lot, not things we talk about but, where she put her keys or jewelry. It's hard, I go to see her a lot, I have learned to soak every second in when i'm with her...she doesn't know that though, I act my normal goofy and happy self around her...tears seem to pour down my face very easily, I was at my dentists office the other day when the recpetionist asked me how my family was I told her, that's when she told me that she had lost her mom to cancer...she told me the thing she missed the most was not getting calls from her mom every day and hearing her moms voice, I lost it...people think i'm strong, but i'm not, it's just a front i put on for everyone. For a while I had lost faith in god, i seem to be questioning everything and in the process I have learned to live my life as though it was my last day on earth. I know my faith in god will be restored but I think it will be a while.

My heart and prayers go out to you and your family. I hope you feel better soon. Thank you for your kind words and advice! Do keep in touch.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:22 AM   #6
(female)

sonsshine HB User

Hi Desigrl,

I'm glad you are hanging in there. I'm sorry about that receptionist who probably thought she was helping in telling you about what happened to her mom, but, she could have kept that to herself. If you lose it, that's perfectly okay. If you hold it in all the time for the sake of others, you will get yourself sick. That is not what Mom or anyone else would like you to do. If possible, is there anyone, in particular a professional, you could talk to? You are going through a lot, even a support group for people who have family going through cancer could be an option. See if there is any close by or even ask the hospital if they know of any groups.

As for Mom, just for the fact that she is still here goes to show you what a fighter she is. Even though this crap is making a mess of her body, she is showing what strength she has. The professionals are taking care of her and these days, everyday there is something new being developed to help fight different cancers. It will be a long road, and definitely not fun, but I know both you and Mom will be alright.

Hang in there love, you are a very, very special person.

Agnes

Closed Thread