It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Cancer Patients Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2009, 08:40 PM   #1
(female)

PasBabycakes HB User
Question ??My Dads psa at 100...help

Please I hope those who have gone through this can help answer a couple questions.My Dad is a very healthy 78 years young,never been in hospital or any surgery's etc.Go back 2 years ago an his psa came back in over 100's,I'm not sure about alot then because My Dad is the type who won't say when things are wrong to keep other's from worrying unless an until there is a reason to worry.I do know back then they did biopsy an everything was suppose to be fine.Now 2 years later his PSA is 100 an they sent him to get a cat-scan but that doctor sent him back wanting a biopsy,Now it's been 2 more weeks an his PSA has went to 120.MY BIG QUESTION HERE IS Does my Dad have cancer?What else could make this happen?Could a biopsy 2 years ago have missed cancer an now he could have it for 2 years already?I know it has good cure rate caught early but I'm so confused,How fast does this grow.I do know my uncle ''Daddys brother had prostrate cancer few years ago an his was caught early.I lost my step-dad a year ago from cancer which started in prostrate,,Now my Mom has very close dear friend that has helped her deal with the loss an he had it about 4 or 5 years ago an Now looks like his may be come back too.His pSA was 27 an less than 2 weeks its 50 now.I know this got long but seems everyone around me is being affected an I need answers from those who have been there an are there..Please tell me something other than cancer could cause this PSA to rise so much so fast,
Thank You so much,

Pasbabycakes

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2009, 04:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User
Re: ??My Dads psa at 100...help

Quote:
Originally Posted by PasBabycakes View Post
...Please tell me something other than cancer could cause this PSA to rise so much so fast,
Thank You so much,

Pasbabycakes
Hello and welcome to the board.

There is a good chance of cancer, but in view of your dad's history, if that first biopsy was negative despite a high PSA, that leaves open the possibility that a prostate infection has caused the high PSA, or at least some of it, possibly a lot of it.

Apparently it is not uncommon for infection to boost PSA as high as 50, though usually the rise is considerably smaller. I've heard of one case where the PSA rose to 200 due to infection, before falling to normal once the right antibiotic was found.

No wonder you are afraid, with all that prostate cancer around people who are important in your life. But even if your dad has prostate cancer , it's likely some promising approaches will be open to him.

I'm hardly the typical patient with low-risk case characteristics in this era of PSA screening, but I too had a very high PSA and have now survived for nearly ten years and am doing quite well. My baseline, first ever PSA was 113.6 in December 1999 , and it rose to 125 due to a mediction effect before plunging as expected. I've been on hormonal blockade therapy only since December 1999. Twice my PSA has been reduced to less than 0.01. Both times I stopped the heavy duty drugs and enjoyed a vacation (34 months vacation the first time, 19 the second - for many of us with higher risk case characteristics, vacation time more or less corresponds to how long you are on the heavy duty drugs, which are not chemo drugs).

I'll get back to your questions again later.

Take care and try to keep up your spirits,

Jim

Old 08-06-2009, 08:14 PM   #3
(female)

PasBabycakes HB User

Thanks so much for the reply Jim..After talking to my brother I found out a couple more things,Like the doctor said is Prostrate was not enlargered at all an he doesn't have frequent urination like seems to be couple of things others have,Matter of fact he has no other symptoms except the high PSA level.He has a consult week from tommorrow with urologist so maybe we'll learn more then..It's just so hard not to worry but I'm gonna try to be positive because I may be worrying over nothing.Easy to say,hard to do but gonna try my best.Thanks again,PasBabycakes

Old 08-10-2009, 05:59 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User

You're welcome, and try to keep cool.

If you need us, we are here.

Take care and good luck to all of you, especially your dad,

Jim

Old 08-14-2009, 06:02 PM   #5
(female)

PasBabycakes HB User

Dad Had his appt. today an they are going to do some biopsies next Friday.Will let ya know what happens.And My Moms friend is having bone scans next week.I'm afraid his cancer may have spread but hoping I'm wrong.He has been having horrible pain an after watching my step-dad go through this, thing's aren't looking good.Thanks again,PasBabycakes

Old 10-01-2009, 03:11 PM   #6
(female)

PasBabycakes HB User
Unhappy Re: ??My Dads psa at 100...help

My dad does have Prostate Cancer and is looking at 8 weeks-5 days a week of Radiation.Can any of you who have been through this tell me about side effects he may have?He has had his 4th day and has been fine but today he say's he feels like he may be coming down with something,This is a man who never complains so it has me worried.Any feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks Pasbabycakes

Old 03-17-2012, 01:56 PM   #7
(male)

andrewpop HB User

Hello,

I read your post about your Dad's prostate cancer. My dad's blood tests show PSA over 120. Biopsy is scheduled for next week. Not sure if it is a cancer. I was wondering how's your dad doing. If you could provide any more information about this, would be great help. Hope and pray your Dad is doing fine.

THank you
Melvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PasBabycakes View Post
My dad does have Prostate Cancer and is looking at 8 weeks-5 days a week of Radiation.Can any of you who have been through this tell me about side effects he may have?He has had his 4th day and has been fine but today he say's he feels like he may be coming down with something,This is a man who never complains so it has me worried.Any feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks Pasbabycakes

Closed Thread