It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Cancer Patients Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2009, 07:32 AM   #1
(female)

jespsl HB User
Unhappy Update on Husband's Stage 4 Rectal Cancer

I haven't posted in awhile, but I need to post this update hoping that someone out there understands.

They have stopped all chemo on my husband and he can't have anymore radiation, hit his limit so to speak. Checked on trials and there are none available that he qualifies for.

The doctor said we are running out of options. Said 2 choices, surgery or Hospice. When they did his latest PET scan the found a fistula about 1 1/2 inches long. The surgeon checked him out and was able to condut his exam using the fistula being it was so big, he was able to touch his tailbone, the tumor and all the way down. It appears that he can't do do the normal colostomy surgery because of 2 things, he wouldn't be able to get the tumor as it has gotton hold of the tailbone and becasue of the fistula, he is afraid it won't heal correctly.

So this Wednesday, they are doing a lapriscoptic colostomy. They said it won't ease his pain much if at all. So I am wondering WHY DO THIS SURGERY!! The doctor said he was concerned with infection if he didn't have it. What kind of life does he have with all this pain? We keep telling the doctor to no avail.

My husband is on 100 mg Fentanyl patch chianging it every other day, with dilaudud 4 mg 1-2 pills every 4 hours for break through pain. My husband feels they don't work. Oh yes his CEA has been going up steadily doubling each month now at 248.34

Does anyone have any answers?

Sorry this was so long - at wits end!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2009, 12:06 PM   #2
(female)

Pittsburgh_Flye HB UserPittsburgh_Flye HB User
Re: Update on Husband's Stage 4 Rectal Cancer

Did the surgery take place?

I'm sorry, I don't have any useful or credible answers. All I can imagine is that the doctors are willing to try any and everything they can for your husband's life to try to ease SOME facet of his ordeal.

Perhaps, ultimately, your husband may have to officially say "ENOUGH" and be serious about it. In going through this with my mom, they were willing to try this, that and the other until she made the decision that she'd done enough. I'm not sure of your entire case or scenario, but I wish you both the best.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:39 AM   #3
(female)

jespsl HB User

Sorry I haven't had time to get back and post. They did surgery a week ago Wednesday and they discharged him that Friday. He has been home a week now and he still has his pain, but he is going to give it another week to see if the pain subsides. Thursday he had to go and get Zometa for his bones and he asked about the shot he would get when his blood count got down into the nines and was told they he couldn't have that anymore because he was no longer receiving chemo. He would get a blood transfusion if and when that happens again. In a way he wants it over. On the way home from the doctors, he said he just wants to be left alone. They assigned him a nurse for a few visits to make sure he knows how to change the bag and to do the maintenance and he doesn't even want her around. A few times he has commented, why don't they just let me die. We go back to the oncologist the end of the month, maybe they will suggest Hospice for pain management, I was told he could be under their care for up to a year.

I will try to do better about keeping the updates posted.

Thank you.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:13 AM   #4
(female)

JillQPublic HB User

Hey, [I] am so sorry to here of your husbands progression. My mom has also been through every treatment available and now she has no further treatment options except for what we can do for her at home and then calling in hospice. We have been fighting this fight for over four years now and are coming to terms with the reality that there is no more treatment available for her. We have ridden this train to the end of the line and now we have to come to terms with how to pick her up from the last whistle stop and help her and ourselves to the end of the line. I wish you and your family all the best thru this transition as I, we, and mine are struggling to our own ends with our mom.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:39 AM   #5
(female)

Pittsburgh_Flye HB UserPittsburgh_Flye HB User

I feel so badly for you both, having been there with my mom and now I am facing cancer issues with my dad (I never imagined using the word "chemo" in my daily vocabulary ONCE in my life with regard to a parent, never mind TWICE). I can understand everything everyone is going thru and it's just horrible.

Jill, you said it best with how you phrased it. It's all too true in how to make that last stop - and the best one for her, unfortunately.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:27 PM   #6
(female)

jespsl HB User

I guess this will be my last post as my husband Joe, passed away Friday, Oct. 2nd, from his rectal cancer. He battled this horrible disease for 17 long months. At least I know he is in a better place and pain free.

I want to thank everyone who who gave me the words of encouragement and their support.

Thank you again, and bless all of you.

JESPSL

Old 10-06-2009, 02:05 PM   #7
(female)

Maza HB User

Jespsl,
I am so sorry to hear your news, as you say he is in the best place now and pain free.
Take care

Quote:
Originally Posted by jespsl View Post
I guess this will be my last post as my husband Joe, passed away Friday, Oct. 2nd, from his rectal cancer. He battled this horrible disease for 17 long months. At least I know he is in a better place and pain free.

I want to thank everyone who who gave me the words of encouragement and their support.

Thank you again, and bless all of you.

JESPSL

Old 10-09-2009, 11:22 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User

I am so sorry for your loss. Joe is free from pain and you are left to mourn his passing. I hope time will help to heal you and that you will have happy memories of your time together. Do look after yourself.

Alison

Old 10-09-2009, 09:56 PM   #9
(female)

JillQPublic HB User

Dearest Jespsl, My heart, thoughts and prayers are with you tonight as I have just logged on for the 1st time in almost [?] a week! I don't know for sure... Anyway, I came here to check on you and Joe and I am just a little shocked, surprised, afraid of or for the news I am reading. I cannot begin to tell you how very sorry I am for the happenings in your home and I pray that you know that now Joe is absolutely out of his suffering. I pray that you will learn to get through your own pain and become the best friend you ever had.... You will have many days and times when you waffle about whether you deserve to be happy or move on, and I want you to remember all the good in your life that has come before and know, really know that you do deserve to to experience all the good that is left there for you yet! God Bless Joe and God Bless You...Please stay in touch and let us here know you are well, for we all wish you all the best that is yet to come..... Jill

Closed Thread