It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Cancer Patients Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2009, 02:33 PM   #1
(female)

laurie83833 HB User
Unhappy Husband was just Diagnosed.

Hello,

My husband had his colonoscopy Sept 18 (Friday) at that time they found a 4.5CM tumor and said they were 99.9% sure it was cancer and should have it removed. He then went and had a CT scan and blood drawn the same day.

We then met with the surgeons (2 of them) on Tuesday Sept 22. And they spoke very optomistic and told him/us due to the "small" size of the tumor he was the perfect example of someone that DID NOT wait to long and they (both the surgeons) felt it was caught in its ealy stage ~ but the tumor is to large to remove other then surgery. But they said the tumor is located in the perfect place for easy removal and a colostomy should not be required and they also said Chemo may not even be necessary. They said CT scan did not show any signs of spreading and his blood came back good. BUT they said they seen a couple very tiny spots on his liver which they said they were so small that it could be from anything not necessarly the sign of spreading and that it is very common for people to have such minute spots on a liver. I kept asking questions and they kept ensuring that they have seen many of these and are fairly certain that it has been caught in its early stages and has not spread outside the colon. Of couse they will not be cetain until after the surgery and everything is sent to the lab for testing.

How can they tell all this by just looking at the CT scan etc.? To me 4.5CM seem huge its almost 2 inches.

So he is scheduled for a Right -Hemicolectomy this coming Monday. Sept 28th. When we spoke to the surgeons they said the pathology report had not came back yet but 9 times out of 10 it will be cancer and no matter what it has to be removed.

We left there feeling a sense of relief but we are still scared as nothing is written in stone until the tumor has be removed and nodes checked I would think only then can they stage the cancer.

The surgeon called yesturday to see if we had anymore questions, and I told him that a tumor almost 2 inches (1.8") seems large and again he said I have seen and operated on many colon cancers and mormally tumors of this size have not penitrated outside the collon wall we feel this was caught early and not to worry.

Well we are worried... I mean what do they mean by caught early? Is stage III considered early or is stage I and Stage II considered early.

We have been a nervous wreck all week. I do have to say that the hospital has acted very quickly as it will have only been 10 days since his colonoscopy since they will have it removed.

Any thoughts has anyone else had a larger tumor or one of the same size that was in its early stages?

Thank you,

Last edited by laurie83833; 09-26-2009 at 05:34 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2009, 01:58 PM   #2
(female)

West Coast Girl HB User
Re: Husband was just Diagnosed.

I know it's hard but please trust your doctors. Sounds like they are very optomistic - you should be also. Try not to make this more serious than it is. There is always a chance that your doctors are wrong but is this really where you want to put all your energy now? Wait for the results of all the tests before you start second guessing your doctors. Every case is different and you shouldn't compare your husbands prognosis with anyone else's. Please just enjoy that it was caught early - many aren't so lucky!

Please keep us posted.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:30 AM   #3
(female)

Buskell HB User

Hello,
Miracles happen every day. On January 9th of this year, my husband was also diagnosed with colon cancer. He too attempted to have a colonoscopy done, and the dr came right back out and spoke with me. Tom had such a blockage the colonoscopy could not even be done. The Dr. then refered us on to a surgeon and on January 19th, they removed a malignant tumor the size of an eggplant from my husbands lower colon. The surrounding lymph nodes, liver, bladder, fat, tissue, were all tested for cancer. By the miracle of God, everything came back clear, the cancer had not metastacised to any other part of my husbands body. But to assure the cancer was gone, Tom had 6 months of chemo, and also had to endure a colostomy bag for 9 long months. On September 9th, he underwent what was to be a simple 2-3 hour reconnect of the colon to the rectum, and Tom would be good as new. NOT....the surgery lasted well into the night, and 6 long hours later Dr. came out to tell us that due to scar tissue, it took much longer to find the rectum stub to reconnect, and to protect Tom from a leakage problem, he now has an ileopsomy for 3 months. But we are cancer free, and we can live with the bag, I just want my husband to live.
He is the rock, remained positive from day one, nothing was going to stop him or get him down, and that is how we made it through everything. We are counting the days for him to just be "normal" again, whatever that may be.
By the time you read this, he should be through surgery and on his way to recouperating....I wish you the very best and good luck! Please keep us posted on his progress...
Always,
Gail

Old 09-29-2009, 08:50 AM   #4
(female)

LESLIETOO HB UserLESLIETOO HB User

Laurie
My colon cancer was 3.5 cm and it had penetrated microscopically through the colon wall and into the pericolonic fat. I had 2 positive nodes, so was classified as Stage III. After a right hemicolectomy and 6 mos. of 5FU/Leucovorin (they were not using Oxaliplaten for Stage III yet) I have been NED for the last 6 years.

The surgeon should be able to visually inspect the liver during the surgery and if the questionable spots are in an accessible place, remove them for biopsy. Size of tumor is not necessarily correlated with if it has metastacized. On another Message Board, a young lady had a tiny cancerous polyp removed and she was assured that it had not penetrated the colon yet. They didn't even want to take CAT scans. She insisted and a small met was found on her liver, even though there was no cancer in the colon proper. She is doing fine today with no evidence of disease.

If your husband is Stage II ( no positive nodes or mets) whether he should have chemo will depend on the aggressiveness of the cancer (well diff, mod diff, poorly diff) with well differentiated the least aggressive form. In addition, the type of colon cancer, adenocarcinoma, signet ring (more aggressive) and if there has been microscopic infiltration of the lymph nodes or nearby blood vessels.

Good luck to you and your husband.
Leslie

Old 09-29-2009, 10:27 AM   #5
(female)

laurie83833 HB User

That you, my husband had surgery yesturday. And when I spoke to the surgeon afterwards he said all went smooth and no complications very little blood loss etc. He said the tumor and surrounding areas were all removed and he inspected the liver and did not see any signs of spreading. his chest Xrays came back clear also. He did NOT have to have a colostomy. He was in ICU yesturday and today the plan on moving him to ACU.

So I guess now we wait and see what shows up in the nodes hopefully nothing. Trying to stay positive but is very hard its like I want to prepare for the worst case sinereo and so anything better then that will feel like a blessing.

Thank you all for you comments and support.
Laurie

Closed Thread