It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Cancer Patients Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2009, 10:02 PM   #1
(female)

LizWhitton HB User
Question Support for families of the terminally ill

My partner and I have been together for nearly 30 years, we have two beautiful children aged 22 and 13 who both live with us. My partner was diagnosed with primary ocular cancer in 1997. After having his left eye removed, he was diagnosed with another primary cancer to his right eye in 2004 and underwent radiation treatment to save his life. In February of 2009 he underwent the removal of his gall bladder and was found to have secondary cancer to his liver. His health has deteriorated before our very eyes in the last few weeks and there is nothing more that can be done. He has spent the majority of his time of late with his friends and alienated me and his girls. He has not wanted any of us to accompany him to doctors, preferring the company of his friends. This has caused considerable heart-ache to the children, who do not understand why he has withdrawn from us. Our eldest daughter has taken the past 3 months off work to spend all her time with him, while I have been at work. Now that she has returned to work, I have taken extended leave to take care of him at home. He now spends most of his time in bed, has turned jaundice and has lost his appetite. He recently changed his will, adding that we were all in for a big surprise after the funeral. Is this behaviour, typical of a dying man?

Closed Thread