It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Cancer Patients Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2012, 01:59 PM   #1
(male)

kizdan67 HB User
My 1st post - Just learned that my wife has colon cancer.

My 50-year old wife, who I've been married to for the last 11 years, was just diagnosed last week. The docs say it is stage 3B. There is a spot on her liver that they saw in an MRI just done on Sunday, but they aren't sure if it's fat or not. If they find that it is cancer, the stage will be changed to 4.

Her father died at the age of 50 from cancer, and she just lost her mom 2 years ago to pancreatic cancer. She was in her mid 70s.

She just had her 1st of 5 radiation treatments this past Tuesday. She is also getting chemo. They gave her what looks like a fanny pack with a little machine in it that pumps chemo into her on and off, 24/7. I have never seen or heard of this before. She'll have surgery after the treatments are complete.

The cancerous area is about an inch in length, and is close to the opening. The doctors feel confident that she will be treated successfully.

It all started maybe a year ago when she said that her plumbing was a little screwy. We didn't think much of it. It never really went away fully. Then, about a month ago, she said she had blood in her stool. There would be some one day, but none the next. I finally told her that she is going to a doctor, whether she wants to or not. I am kicking myself in the *** for not making her go the instant she said her plumbing was acting up.

They took a sample, and colon cancer was what they found.

Ironic, that my dad just had 10" of his colon removed only a couple of months ago. He is 74. He had his prostate removed probably over 10 years ago.

After much crying on my part (my wife puts on a much braver face than me), I know that I need to be there for her 110%. I am going to fight this with her best I can. Being a widow at my age is not in the plans!

I am very happy to have found this board, to be able to hear of others' experiences, and to give and get support.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User
Re: My 1st post - Just learned that my wife has colon cancer.

I am so sorry to hear about your wife's diagnosis and understand how distressing this must be for you. The next few months may be a bit of a challenge but there is light at the end of the tunnel. Be encouraged by those who have had your wife's experience, and yours as a caregiver. New treatments are being introduced all the time. My husband is doing so well after nearly 9 years of remission from rectal cancer (stage 111C) A friend of ours has been diagnosed twice with rectal cancer, had treatment and is doing brilliantly. Another friend of mine has had Stage 1V colon cancer since 2006 and, although she has had her challenges, is alive and well. Do look after yourself too. You are right when you say the caregiver sometimes feels it more than the patient. It is not easy seeking someone you love so much go through this. But she is lucky to have you by her side. Love and support makes all the difference! Do keep in touch with the board...it helped me so much years ago when my husband was diagnosed.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nassau one For This Useful Post:
kizdan67 (03-07-2012)
Old 03-06-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi,
I would just like to offer my very best wishes and prayers for your wife and
also yourself as you face this condition together.
Treatment today is so much more advanced and I wish her a positive outcome. Two yrs ago my brother was diagnosed with a very agressive prostate cancer,my father died 26 yrs ago of the same.
My brother is doing just great after treatment and his cancer is now in remission and he is getting on with his life and enjoying every minute of it.
We are hear to offer support at anytime so please keep in touch.

Solofelix.

The Following User Says Thank You to solofelix For This Useful Post:
kizdan67 (03-07-2012)
Old 03-13-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
(female)

tenoke HB User

I was diagnosed with colon cancer November 2010 and had colon surgery in December. The fanny pack provides your wife with chemo drugs that are administered over a period of time, so she doesn't have to go to Chemo as often. I had six treatments of chemo before they operated again and removed half my liver because they found a spot on it. My father died of the same disease in 1996. His colon cancer metastasized to his liver. I am currently cancer free, and go for CT scans and blood work periodically to keep an eye on my progress. Tell you wife she's in good hands, a lot of progress has been done in cancer research and she can look forward to a long and happy life.

The Following User Says Thank You to tenoke For This Useful Post:
kizdan67 (03-13-2012)
Old 03-18-2012, 03:57 AM   #5
(female)

joyce8844 HB User

Dear Friend
Prayers going out for your dear wife's complete recovey
My Mother is now five years free of Colon cancer!
She was stage three and went through a long but very successful operation and chemotherapy.
She is very positive always cheerful.
I think I was more scared than she and certainly did the most crying,but not in front of her
It is natural to be fearful.The good news is that Cancer treaments are really good now and the Big C is not necessarily a death sentence!
God Bless you both
Please keep us up-dated
joyceveronica

The Following User Says Thank You to joyce8844 For This Useful Post:
kizdan67 (03-19-2012)
Old 04-11-2012, 01:32 PM   #6
(male)

kizdan67 HB User

My wife had her last radiation treatment last Tuesday (her 5th). It had gotten quite painful, as the doctors told her it would. She dreaded having to use the washroom. Yesterday, her chemo pack was removed. Now, she recovers a few weeks before the surgery.........

Old 04-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizdan67 View Post
My wife had her last radiation treatment last Tuesday (her 5th). It had gotten quite painful, as the doctors told her it would. She dreaded having to use the washroom. Yesterday, her chemo pack was removed. Now, she recovers a few weeks before the surgery.........
I am glad the treatment went as well as can be expected. Yes, it does get difficult towards the end. All the very best to you both as you proceed along this journey.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:18 AM   #8
(female)

MontanaMissy HB User

Sending prayers to your wife, and also to you. Do not kick yourself for things not done. I was diagnosed with Colon Cancer in October of 2010. I needed 4 blood transfusions, after discovering I only had 1/3 of my blood left. I couldn't breathe which was how I ended up at the E.R.. That was my symptom, along with a mosquito bite that wouldn't heal. Unless something major happens to us, we pass it off. No one is to blame for that. I wish her all the best in her treatments. I had 12 chemos. 4 hours at the Cancer Center and 46 hours on the fanny-pack pump. Never had much problem with it. In the way a lot when you try to sleep, but what a tiny price to pay. Had one complication with it.... my tubing came undone, and I bled all over my brand new white sweater. Had to go down to the hospital and have them take it out. In case it should ever happen... don't panic and buy a lots of peroxide. Cleaned my sweater and beige couch to perfection! :-))

Old 05-25-2012, 01:08 PM   #9
(male)

kizdan67 HB User

My wife had her surgery last Wednesday. The doctor said it went very well, couldn't be more pleased. She remained in the hospital up until 2 days ago, when I brought her home. The first night home was somewhat painful, but it has gotten a little better each day. She'll recover for a while at home before getting chemo again. Her biggest concern was getting rid of her bag, which was a challenge for the doctor because the portion removed was so close to the opening, but he managed to retain the muscle. I believe they will do the reversal before the chemo, but am not completely sure.

It is very nice to have her at home again. She is getting a little better every day, which is so nice to see.

Last edited by kizdan67; 05-25-2012 at 01:10 PM.

Closed Thread