It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Cancer Patients Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2012, 02:28 AM   #1
(female)

Manxymare HB User
Mum diagnosed with nsclc and no one wil give me any answers

I'm new to this so please bear with me. Mum was diagnosed with stage iv nsclc last week. Tumour in left lung 4x6cm. Ct scan showed mets to vertebrate, bone scan was clear but radiographers are convinced it's in the vertebrate regardless of bone scan. She also has significant nodules on her right lung which are metastatic deposits. Mum had lost an enormous amount of weight before this diagnosis. She is very tired a lot of the time and has not got very much energy. She is still quite mobile though. I am worried about her mental state. She gets very confused at times yet at other times completely lucid. She also has short term memory loss. Brain scan showed 'changes' but doc said prob just old age. (mum is 70). But if bone scan clear yet still in vertebrate, could it be in brain even though this scan clear? She is being offered one dose of palliative radiotherapy. I need to know a few things which no one wil answer. What symptoms should I expect her to show and when, given her condition. What life expectancy? (I know everyone is different, but generally speaking someone must have some idea given her diagnosis and health condition in general, I'm not looking for an exact time, just a ball park figure). I need to prepare myself and my children who adore my mum so I really need to know these things. I really hope someone wil b able to help me.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:45 AM   #2
(female)

Manxymare HB User
Re: Mum diagnosed with nsclc and no one wil give me any answers

Just a quick update. Mum felt too sick to see her oncologist so I went. No sign of any bone mets but does not make any difference to prognosis. 2-3 months at best because of poor performance status, she is feeling constantly nauseous and has a lot of back pain. They are not giving radiotherapy as that was just to control symptoms such as aiding breathing or if she was coughing up blood. She has none of this. Asked doc wat to expect and she just said a gradual decline, less energy, feeling more nauseous, sleeping more. Tumour advanced and aggressive. They are not offering any treatment. No more scans as even if it has spread it won't make any difference to prognosis. Was told to make her as comfortable as possible and to make sure her affairs were in order. Nurse told me they don't like giving time limits because everyone is different and only god knows the time. But when they do specify a time, she said they were not usually very far off that. Sorry for rambling a bit. It's just good to put it al down in front of me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2012, 12:21 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Hi,

Sorry for all that your going through and your Mum's diagnosis. My father in law was diagnosed with NSCLC in March of 2011, about the same situation as your Mum's but his was Stage II. There was no surgical option and they did several rounds of "light" chemo and some radiation. His mestatisized to his lymphnodes. He died 6 months later in October...the cancer advanced very quickly.

He was a very healthy, vigorous, young 60 yr old. He traveled worldwide on business frequently, was very active in his son and grandsons life and his diagnosis was a complete shock...one day he was fine and the next he had cancer and not too much time later he was dead.

So, if your Mum's is already at an untreatable Stage IV, they're probably being overly optimistic giving her 2-3 months. I'd definitely let your kids spend time with her now while she's still coherent some of the time. My father in laws last month was spent completely in bed, incoherent 80% of the time on so many medications trying to control his pain that he didn't know who he was, where he was or who any of his family was most of the time. It was very, very hard.

I send you my deepest sympathies and my prayers are with you and your family.

Kat

Old 05-28-2012, 01:22 AM   #4
(female)

Manxymare HB User

Thank you for your kind thoughts and prayers. Mum is stil doin pretty well and is stil mobile although she is on slow release OxyContin and oxynorm top up which are morphine based so this really helps her. She is in great form, the best I hav seen her in for years. I do think the meds hav a lot to do with that. Sometimes because she is in great form I forget there is anythin wrong. I hav to pinch myself now and again to remind me that this is not going away. Her voice is extremely hoarse and I do notice a gradual decline in her energy. But thankfully no major suffering. We are all spending as much time with her as we can which is brilliant. I just pray that whatever lies ahead in the next few weeks, god wil give mum the grace that she is not in pain or discomfort. It's been less than a month since she was given 2-3 months and I am goin to enjoy the next whatever number of weeks makin memories. So sorry for your loss. This is truly a dreadful disease. My prayers are with you and everyone going through this, or having been through it. Xx

Closed Thread