It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Cancer Patients Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2012, 07:59 AM   #1
(female)

hannahismyname HB User
Question help: stage 4 pancreatic cancer

Hello everyone,
In late February of this year my father in law was diagnosed with multiple myeloma. He had 3 rounds of light chemotherapy and then was hospitalized for 5 days for a blood clot. While he was in the hospital he had stomach pain which they said was heart burn. A day and a half after he got home, his pain got so excruciating he went to the er. That was April 28th. They did a ct scan and found what they felt was pancreatic cancer. They biopsy was done and on May 3rd the results came back as stage 4 pancreatic cancer that spread to the liver. According to his PCP, there are 3 large spots in the liver. My father in law has not left the hospital since he went to the er. On May 12th his kidneys began to fail and he was placed on dialysis. In the last 3 and a half weeks he has gone from being a normal independent mobile adult to someone that sleeps constantly, barely eats, completely dependant and can barely make it from his bed to a chair (with a lot of assistance ). Every time he moves, he gets out of breath. Every week (sometimes every day) his health declines. He has lost a lot of weight and his arms looks like they have lost muscle .His abdomen is huge and swollen and he barely makes urine. When he does,it's orange-ish red. He'll go days without a bowel movement. His blood counts go down constantly and he's had about 6 blood transfusions in 3 weeks. The Dr's are saying he may go home Tuesday. He has not had any treatment (chemotherapy or anything ) for the pancreatic cancer or multiple myeloma while in the hospital. I don't know but I'm thinking the Dr's may not think he's even strong enough for chemotherapy. Much of the family is in severe denial and seem to think he'll recover from this. My heart is telling me this is the final stages. The Dr's won't give any indication of the severity. I was hoping he will see his next birthday on June 12th and his oldest granddaughter will get out of school mid June and be able to see him. My heart and mind is very scared he may not make it until then. Since what I would like to know is there anyone that may have experience or insight as to how long we might have with him. Days, weeks, months. I need to know. Thank you for your time!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

bubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB User
Re: help: stage 4 pancreatic cancer

How devastating for you all in the family! It certainly doesn't sound good & it sounds as though the doctors may think he is too weak for the treatment at this stage. Have any of you asked about his treatment? Surely you are entitled to some explanation.

As to how much time he has -difficult to know about this but I had a friend with this horrible disease & he only had 3 weeks from diagnosis till his passing. I'm sure it varies quite a bit.... The swollen abdomen can indicate the the liver is in trouble & this isn't good news.

I'm sure he would be happier at home with the family provided that he can be made comfortable. My heart goes out to you all.

The Following User Says Thank You to bubblegirl For This Useful Post:
hannahismyname (05-20-2012)
Closed Thread