It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Cancer Patients Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
(female)

jmtx HB User
Xeloda alone - Worried about mom

I haven't done this before - but I guess there is a first time for everything! My mom was recently diagnosed with stage III colon cancer. Surgery went well. 2 out of 20 lymph nodes were positive.

Here is the kicker. My mom is 62, recently retired from teaching. She does not have health insurance. With modest assets - she does not qualify for medicaid or similar programs.

The clinic she has been referred to for chemotherapy has told her that she will have to pay $71,000 up front in order to begin treatment (according to them - that is with a 50% discount). This is if she were to go with the 5-FU/Leucovorin/Oxaliplatin regimen. They called today and discussed an alternative - for her to do the oral treatment with Xeloda (minus the Oxaliplatin) which would evidently cost A LOT less.

I don't want to bargain shop on something this important - but am wondering if anyone can direct me to information on the benefits of xeloda alone versus xeloda with oxaliplatin.

We're looking into other hospitals as well - just trying to cover all bases.

Thanks so much -

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
(female)

dvaughan47 HB User
Re: Xeloda alone - Worried about mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtx View Post
I haven't done this before - but I guess there is a first time for everything! My mom was recently diagnosed with stage III colon cancer. Surgery went well. 2 out of 20 lymph nodes were positive.

Here is the kicker. My mom is 62, recently retired from teaching. She does not have health insurance. With modest assets - she does not qualify for medicaid or similar programs.

The clinic she has been referred to for chemotherapy has told her that she will have to pay $71,000 up front in order to begin treatment (according to them - that is with a 50% discount). This is if she were to go with the 5-FU/Leucovorin/Oxaliplatin regimen. They called today and discussed an alternative - for her to do the oral treatment with Xeloda (minus the Oxaliplatin) which would evidently cost A LOT less.

I don't want to bargain shop on something this important - but am wondering if anyone can direct me to information on the benefits of xeloda alone versus xeloda with oxaliplatin.

We're looking into other hospitals as well - just trying to cover all bases.

Thanks so much -
My husband had stage 3 rectal cancer with 10 cm tumor and 1 lymph node. He took the Xeloda and then radiation before surgery. The tumor was gone just residual cells and scaring. One warning.....Xeloda prescript is very expensive. We were very fortunate that someone had donated a whole bottle to the clinic and we just had to pay for about a week and a half.
BTW, he had surgery, then chemo, wore bag for 6 months had it removed....cancer free almost 5 Years. He went to MD Anderson...the best!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2012, 04:21 PM   #3
(female)

jmtx HB User
Re: Xeloda alone - Worried about mom

Thanks so much - it's great to hear positive experiences. Mom just called and the drug company has granted her free medication for the duration of her treatment. Our luck is turning around!

Closed Thread