It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Cancer Patients Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2012, 11:09 PM   #1
(female)

caregiverof2 HB User
acute myeloid leukemia

My sister was first diagnosed with high platelets, 785,000 and was being treated, and they were coming down nicely. Then she developed breast cancer, had a lumpectomy, it wasn't even a stage yet, it was the size of a pinhead. Yet they had her do 33 treatments of radiation, and I think that is what really screwed up her system. They couldn't stop the platelets from dropping, and her WBC continued to climb. She became extremely tired...........we made 2 useless trips to the Mayo Clinic, hoping for some kind of help. From the time she was diagnosed, till the time she died, was 1 1/2 weeks. You read it right, one and a half weeks. I am devastated that there was nothing we could do!!!!! Somehow, I think something went terribly wrong, maybe the radiation triggered it?? She passed away from acute myeloid leukemia, this last February. We were kindred spirits, my sister and I. I still have my suspicions, on whether the doctors made the right decisions.
Oh, and when she first had her mammogram, it came in the mail that everything was fine, no abnormalities. The next day they called her, and said come in, you have breast cancer!! Now we are questioning whether she ever had it in the first place, and all the radiation was for nothing!!

Old 09-17-2012, 04:25 AM   #2
(male)

jamboz HB User
Re: acute myeloid leukemia

Radiation and or chemotherapy can sometimes cause certain cancers I think radiation does have a side effect of Maybe causing leukemia. But why she got leukemia we will never know.

You must not blame the doctors. For example there was maybe only a five percent chance of the radiation for the breast cancer causing leukemia but if she never had the radiation then she would certainly die it just happens ur sister was one of the unlucky five percent that got leukemia and subsequently passed away.

I am so sorry for you loss.

Kind regards jambo !

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #3
(female)

shersita HB User
Re: acute myeloid leukemia

I am so sorry for your lost. My mother die few years ago of acute lympho leukemia, she was 53 no one on her family side *her mother, her grandmother, her siblings, etc* no one never had been diagnose of any type of leukemia, my mother was the first one, and still today I ask myself why? what could have trigger that disease to her? she didn't work with chemical stuff or anything like that, but she develop leukemia without reason. A few doctors promise to her she was going to remission with chemo and treatment and bla bla, she did went to chemo and suddenly went into coma and die...I don't know if doctors made the right decision or what with the amount of chemo they provide to her. She was talking fine and suddenly after her last chemo in a few hours she went into coma. Leukemia is a terrible disease, doctors said she die from leukemia and not from the amount of chemo they provide, but still today I have my doubts.

Sorry for your sister lost, there are lots of questions in life we can never answer to ourself or understand why things like this happens to our love ones.

Wish you all the best.

Reply Reply