It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Cancer Patients Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2012, 09:42 AM   #1
(male)

zmogas HB User
Info about Chondrosarcoma

My friend's dad was diagnosed with Chondrosarcoma today, so I am curious about the disease. I'm always curious about health-related things. And don't worry, I'm not gonna tell anyone anything, it's just for pure curiosity of my own.

His dad has grew a tumor over 20 centimeters in diameter in his hip over roughly 6 months, as far as we know. At the end, he had trouble sleeping on the size the tumor was at. He was operated on a week ago and the tumor has been removed, however it being Sarcoma, the tumor was grown with the bone.

So what kind of outcome are we looking at here? What's the mortality rate, treatment options and procedure, how long patients usually live with this diagnosis? Is there something else I may be interested in?

I have a few theories about the situation of my own, however I want the answers to be as objective as possible, so I'm not gonna post them.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
(male)

muffinmuffin HB User
Re: Info about Chondrosarcoma

I was diagnosed with a chondrosarcoma this year, but it was much smaller and in my skull base. I've read a lot about it, but again, more focused on skull base cases. In general, prognosis for this type of cancer is based on the pathology report and the grade of the tumor. Grades I and II have a pretty good prognosis (80% and higher depending on the study), higher grades have a poorer prognosis (60 and lower depending on the study). That's a 3-5 year timeline and from my memory.
Other things I picked up is that the lower the grade the slower the growth and the less likely re-occurrence or metastasizing, in general it is radiation and chemo resistant.
I search on this site a lot:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed

Last edited by Administrator; 09-26-2012 at 07:14 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2012, 04:00 AM   #3
(male)

zmogas HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmuffin View Post
I was diagnosed with a chondrosarcoma this year, but it was much smaller and in my skull base. I've read a lot about it, but again, more focused on skull base cases. In general, prognosis for this type of cancer is based on the pathology report and the grade of the tumor. Grades I and II have a pretty good prognosis (80% and higher depending on the study), higher grades have a poorer prognosis (60 and lower depending on the study). That's a 3-5 year timeline and from my memory.
Other things I picked up is that the lower the grade the slower the growth and the less likely re-occurrence or metastasizing, in general it is radiation and chemo resistant.
I search on this site a lot:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed
Appreciate the feedback.

I've got the diagnosis papers of his, and read a lot about it already though, so I have the prognosis as well as a loto f extra info.

In fact, I've read it in the very link you've posted, mostly.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:16 AM   #4
(female)

gone4now HB User

My husband was diagnosed with chondrosarcoma in his femur 8/12. The tumor started at the femoral neck and was almost down to his knee. He had surgery to remove the ball of the hip, femur and knee and all was replaced with a triple prosthesis. The orthopedic oncologist told us this was a slow growing cancer and the surgery removed it all and there were no cancer cells in the surrounding tissue. However, in January 2013 he caught a cold and could not get rid of it. He ended up having a chest tube put in to remove fluid from his left lung and they found reactive cells and I was told that it was the chondrosarcoma in his thoracic cavity. His chondrosarcoma began in the cartilage of the bone and became calcified and grew like rock. We were told that conventional chemotherapy and radiation did not do anything for this type of cancer. My family has discussed a diagnosis back from 2010 where he was told he had a calcium build up and it was bursitis in his hip. This is where the cancer began therefore it grew for 2 years before he was unable to walk and further testing was done to find the chondrosarcoma. We were told by an attending physician in January that the chondrosarcoma in his thoracic cavity was there as long as the chondrosarcoma in his leg, but he wasn't part of the testing done in 7/12 and couldn't tell us why it wasn't detected at that time. When this was discovered in January 2013 and we saw an oncologist he gave my husband 3-5 months to live without treatment and 7 months with some type of treatment. My husband took herbal medicine for 4 months after getting out of the hospital and did well. In June 2013 he took Votrient (chemo pills) for 4 weeks because it was felt that this was the only type of chemo that my help him to shrink the tumors. He was denied these pills at MD Anderson because of the riskiness of bleeding because he was on blood thinners. In May it was stable and still growing slowly. His oncologist at home gave them to him because my husband wanted to try anything to cure the chondrosarcoma. After taking Votrient, he had almost every side effect to the chemo. He went down quickly and by the 5th week after taking it, he passed away. The chemo actually accelerated the cancer and it had spread to his lymph nodes and abdomen. These type of tumors caused excruciating pain for him. There really is no cure for chondrosarcoma other than to remove the entire bone where the tumor is.

Reply Reply