It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Cancer Patients Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
(female)

ladlwm HB User
Father newly diagnosed with Colorectal Cancer

My father was recently diagnosed (August 2012) with colorectal cancer. We rushed him to the ER 8/18/12 with many abdominal symptoms, only to have him whisked away, tested, scanned...checked in and admitted to the ICU, where he remained for 13 days. During that time he had a rush colonoscopy where they told us he had 4 colon tumors, surgery was done on 8/21/12 where they then discovered he actually had 5 colon tumors...all varying in stages with the most aggressive one being located in the Sigmoid colon, near the appendics. His worst tumor was Stage 3 and we were told had spread to 7 of the 16 lymph nodes removed. He lost 30 lbs in the hospital and is so weak, we hardly know how to help him. We have had his first appt with the oncologist and he has been told he will need both oral and iv chemotherapy. He is afraid and so weak and depressed. I just don't know how to help him. We are praying for him to gather the strength and fight this thing but have been cautioned by a very good friend, who went through chemo for two years, that Chemo is awful and worse than the cancer. Any thoughts you can share would be appreciated.

The following user gives a hug of support to ladlwm:
bobbi416 (09-27-2012)
Old 09-27-2012, 06:30 AM   #2
(female)

bobbi416 HB Userbobbi416 HB User
Re: Father newly diagnosed with Colorectal Cancer

Hi Lad,

I think your question is about chemo. Chemo is a very tough thing to go through, my sister went through it and she said the same thing. 5mos of chemo and 7 wks of radiation. For Pancreatic Cancer, they tried to remove the tumor but couldn't because of it's location. So she went through chemo & radiation from 4 to 9/2011.
She went from 147 lbs. to 99 lbs in that time. But, it did prolong her life. But after 3 mos she went back for CT Scan and it showed nothing. Then another 3 mos they did a full blood work up, her levels where very high, so they did a PET Scan and found that it had moved to her liver and lungs. When she went back to oncologist they started another round of chemo, but unfortunately it wasn't helping and she stopped it. In May 2012 her doctors told she had 4 mos at best.
So I guess you need to think about the quality of life vs. length. Also you need to talk with your doctors and ask them very direct questions. Your Dad is going to need you to be his advocate, because this is a lot for him to deal with. My advice would be to get yourself a note book and a journal date book. Write everything down, being a caretaker is also very hard. Write down questions, and go through them 1 by 1 with docs. Doing this will help your Dad a lot. Educate yourself, and ask questions! One more thing TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF, eat well and get as much rest as you can. You will need your strength. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
L

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply