It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Cancer Patients Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2012, 07:30 AM   #1
(female)

redheaddea HB User
Pacreatic/Liver... end stages

My dad was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in July 2011. He went through chemo from 08/01/2011 thru 08/22/2012, then it was discontinued because it was no longer helping. It's been a month now that hospice has been monitoring his condition. He is continually weaker. The jaundice has been steadily increasing. His pain medication has been increased continually. There is swelling in the abodomen but the abdomen is staying soft, not hard like a drum, but pedisone is being administered. This man is/was 6'2 and weighed 230 pounds, he's now down to 170 pounds, maybe. I was rubbing his back yesterday and his ribs and shoulder bones were all I felt, nothing there. I don't know how long we have left. Could anyone help me with some advice.
I'm scared. I don't know what to think or feel, I can't do anything to make it better. He's ALWAYS helped me and now I can't do anything to make this better for him.

The following user gives a hug of support to redheaddea:
bobbi416 (09-27-2012)
Old 09-27-2012, 05:41 AM   #2
(female)

bobbi416 HB Userbobbi416 HB User
Re: Pacreatic/Liver... end stages

Hello Red,

I am going through the same thing with my sister. It is very hard for the both of you and the unknown is scary. Just being their gives him comfort. Time is short, so do something that he likes. Like playing his favorite music, or watching a movie, etc... My sister finds warm massages comforting. In my family laughter is a release of the stress we all feel.
I'm finding that know one can tell you exactly when, because we are all different and there are a lot of different factors. But your Dad is very sick and I would do all you can just to be with him. One important thing is to take of yourself. Eat and get some rest.
My thoughts and prayers are with you.
L

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply