It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Cancer Patients Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 07:15 AM   #1
(female)

aafrahs HB User
Question late stage pancriotic cancer

On the 1st of november my grandmother in her 80s was diagnosed with pancriotic cancer that had spread to the liver. It was devistating to our entire family especially as she seems to be the backbone of our family, even more so since my grandfather died of brain cancer in 2005. I am super close to my grandmother and to hear that was painful enough and I took it uon myself to do some research on it. After realizing that she would not be operable since it had spread I was preparing myself for a having just a few month left to spend with her. Unfortunatly the doctors gave us worse news a few days later only stating that her life expectacy was "weeks". She has two masses on the liver and a mass on the pancrious. We didn't expect that or how fast her symptoms would get worse. Before she was diagnosed she was just more tired and losing weight, now its exceded that by much more. Just in the 2 1/2 weeks since we found out she has turned completely yellow from the jondice, her weakness has gotten so bad that she now can't walk or enen have enoug energy to move at all, she can only eat soft or soupy things nothing hard, her pain is horrible, she has trouble breathing and she is beginning to sleep a lot more and is fatigued all the time. Her whole body is basically just shutting down. She is now on hospice care at home and on a lot of medications to make her lcomfortable". I went through a lot of this when my grandfather was passing away but knowing I'm now losing her and won't have either of them there anymore is beyond painful. I'm not sure how to cope or what to expect with this cancer. I don't know how to tell when she's close to "moving on" and I can't seems to find any good solid information about the late stage of this cancer and what all to expect from now til the end. I just want a little honest and truthful advice so I can prepare myself.

The following user gives a hug of support to aafrahs:
bobbi416 (11-30-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
(female)

bobbi416 HB Userbobbi416 HB User
Re: late stage pancriotic cancer

Well my dear one, I'm so sorry. I just lost my sister from this horrible disease. Sadly what you are asking is not good news. If she is still with you, it could a matter of days.
I'm glad you have hospice involved, they will your grandmother as well all of your family, to cope with this devestating situation.

I'm not a doctor or nurse, but from experience with my sis. Your grandmother will eventually stop eating and drinking, and won't be able to do anything for herself. Don't be surprised if she starts acting strangely, a week before my sister passed she was having a tea party with 4 invisible people. Although my sister was only 53, and she fought every minute. It's hard to tell you how your grandmother will react, because everyone reacts differently. My prayers are with you. Just take it one step at a time.

Reply Reply