It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2005, 06:44 PM   #1
(female)

wilder HB User
bipolar boyfriend

My boyfriend of nearly a year recently learned he is bipolar. he decided to relocate, quite far from me, about 400 miles....to deal with it. He is familiar with the doctor he will be seeing in his home town, and he is also in a safe and familiar setting, surrounded by family. We have decided to take everything one day at a time, and for now, we are still together. He has been gone nearly four weeks, and he is having his first episode. I think he's experiencing depression, although he isn't really expressing himself to me. Strangely, he doesn't want to talk about it. It's borderline avoidance. I know I'm supposed to be patient, but it seems like just yesterday he was fine, then was diagnosed, and now says he's "spiraling down." He seems to be giving up already. It doesn't help much that I too am struggling with depression, clinically undiagnosed. Just depression...We are both in terrible states. I feel as though I have struggled with depression my whole life, and life has become consequently just a process of pushing forward through all the black holes. Is there any way, chemical imbalances can be self-treated? Can one balance themselves without the assistance of doctors if they have something like bipolar? I'm more into eastern practices, and I wonder if anyone ever recommends meditation... Are there any case studies to support that notion?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2005, 08:03 PM   #2
(male)

Colefort HB User
Re: bipolar boyfriend

Hey Wilder,

There was a book that I read a chapter or two of that talked of treating bipolar with different diets and supplements. It talked a lot about combatting depression with diet and exercise. I know its a fact that regular depression can be fought and its severity lessened with diet and exercise, but I am not sure about actual imbalances. The book was at Borders, I will try and get the title for you if I am near there soon.

CF

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2005, 03:25 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User
Re: bipolar boyfriend

There are all kinds of ideas out there. Some mey be of some benefit and some could be down right dangerious. Be careful!

Mudhound

Closed Thread