It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2005, 07:42 PM   #1
(female)

LLC15 HB User
Getting Someone Committed in Florida

I wanted to know if anyone knows what it takes to force someone to be committed in the hospital in FL or where I find info about doing this? Also, did any of you take off when you got really bad with your bipolar? My sis is now MIA and my family is concerned. She had a breakdown last week, and threatened to take off or go into her head and die. She is diagnosed bipolar and dissassociative personality dissorder, she does not medicate but does use extracurricular or illegal drugs. Of course we fear the worst for her and this is a critical time for her right now (either she gets help or this disease will get her). Anyone out there have any advise? Thank you!!

Old 08-04-2005, 11:21 AM   #2
(female)

MikeysWifey0316 HB User
Re: Getting Someone Committed in Florida

I'm so sorry for your situation. This has to be really scary for everyone, including your sister. Unfortunately I don't have any really great advise for ya. You might try contacting your local hospital and asking them, maybe the psych department, or the doctor's office where she was diagnosed. You might ask to talk to a nurse and just explain the situation. They can't give you any info regarding your sister directly due to privacy laws, but they might be able to tell you where to call to see about getting her some inpatient help. Is your sister a minor?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2005, 03:25 AM   #3
(female)

LLC15 HB User

My sis is not a minor, but just not functional. She lives in S. FL, where the mental health system is VERY lacking of funding. She actually sought out some out patient counseling, I can not remember through whom, but I hope that her seeking this out is a good sign. She went last year and when they told her they would place her in the hospital she stopped counseling. She was hospitalized when we were 17 (we are twins-fraternal) and then the stigma behind the diagnosed bipolar disorder and lack of support from my father made her stop taking her meds. She is still afraid of the stigma, but once you hit 30 and have not made it you would think you would finally hit bottom and get tired of it all. Just keep her in your thoughts and prayers, she needs it right now. I do not think that she will survive if she chooses to walk away from help this time because she is just steadily getting worse. I just hope that she finally breaks down!

Old 08-05-2005, 06:21 AM   #4
(female)

MikeysWifey0316 HB User

Well, I will definitely keep her in my prayers. And your family too. Sometimes we have to hit the total rock bottom before we can see how bad it is. Good luck and keep us posted!!!

Closed Thread