It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2005, 07:02 AM  

mwicklif HB User
Tells lies and makes up stories all the time.

Hello Everyone:

Can anyone tell me what would make a 40+ year old female lie on a constant basis? Everytime she opens her mouth you can bank on what she is saying is a lie.
She lies about anything. I am at a loss. What mental illness or personality order is this prevalent in?
Her lies are usually those that make her look good. Such as she is a semester away from having her Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing. She also tries to impress those around her be using words that she has no clue what they mean so she uses them completely out of context.
Another thing that she does is constantly attempting to turn people in to the authorities for what she perceives that they have done wrong wjith more added to the stories than actually happens.
This is really causing a lot of strife in our family. What can be don to help this person?

Mary

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2005, 01:25 PM  
(male)

smc612 HB User
Re: Tells lies and makes up stories all the time.

hi mary i worked with a woman like this for 15 years. the stories she told were unbelievable. every word was a lie to make her look better or someone else look bad. we all new it and after a while just didn't listen to a word she said. she told some really ridiculous tales that she believed completely. it's sad but i don't know what makes people lie like that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2005, 03:15 PM  

mwicklif HB User

Hi and thank you for your reply.
The really bad part about it is that her mother seems to be very protective of this overgrown child. She is protective to the point of being supportive of her actions. I told my better half that I thought that his mother was enabling his sister to be this way. The mother knows that she lies like a rug and gets very upset when this daughter is exposed. It really makes me wonder which of these 2 women has the biggest problem in their life.

Mary

Old 09-18-2005, 07:31 PM  
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

Mary- In addition to telling lies and fantastic stories in order to make herself look good and impress people, does this woman also
criticize/degrade people to make herself feel better about herself?
believe that she is "special" and that she should be given "special" treatment as a result?
think that she's better than everyone else?
act very grandiosely in addition to the tall tales by attempting to impress people by having flashy cars, jewelry, expensive champagne, etc?
appear unsympathetic to anyone's problems but her own?
seem to be devoid of emotion, other than anger when she doesn't feel that she has been given the "special" treatment she deserves?
think that she is the epitome of "perfection," and everyone else falls short of her greatness, helping to explain the whole thing with the authorities?
If so, this is most likely Narcissistic Personality Disorder. I'm about 95-99% sure that my biological father (all he is to me is a genetic bond...) has it, and as a result, treated my mother and I with mind games and cruelty for twelve years. The only other disorder that this could be would be bipolar mania, but only if, in addition to the grandiose behavior the woman is:
hyperactive
not sleeping
talking very fast
jumping from topic to topic while speaking ("flight of ideas") and not making sense
having violent outbursts, especially if you try to interrupt her ramblings
distracted
more productive and is involved in a dozen projects at once
feels that she can do anything
feels that she's "on-top-of-the-world"
is having delusions such as "The President's in love with me, and we're getting married," or "I invented calculus," even if she's horrible in math.
These are common signs of bipolar mania, and some of the symptoms of NPD do overlap, but the difference between them is that the manic symptoms disappear when treated and isn't the natural behavior of the person, whereas with NPD, the sufferer always has the symptoms, and that's, unfortunately, the way that they act...If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 09-19-2005, 03:48 AM  

mwicklif HB User

Hello

I would say that you pretty much hit the nail on the head. She does not display all of these symptoms but does show a good 90% of them. Another one is that she is very jealous hearted. It seems to upset her when someone does something that she doesnot get to do. An example of this is that I joined a local gym for obvious reasons of course and she has continously ridiculed it with others and has thrown several slurs my way about me going.
Is there any medication for this person that can help?? How is this problem treated?? How does one approach the subject of how she can be helped??
(Without being overly obvious and bringing down her wrath upon them of course)
Another thing that she does is invent health problems to get attention.

Mary

Old 09-19-2005, 03:55 AM  
(female)

Erika2610 HB User

Some people lie so much and so well.. that they start to believe there own lies. I knew a girl like that. Couldn't stand her. Every single word that came out of her mouth was a lie. It was horrible. she told us she was going to be Ms. Ct or somethin one day.. we looked the whole thing up, called her out on it, and she made up another lie to cover up for it. Blech.

Old 09-19-2005, 05:29 AM  

mwicklif HB User

I have caught her in serveral lies by checking her story out as have others. She also covers that lie with another lie. But to get even she usually retaliates with a series of lies told on those that uncover the truth.
Is this a condition that is passed on from parents to their children or is this a learned response to something that they have encountered.
I would like to add that she has no friends to really speak of. In the last couple of years that I have known her I can honestly say that I have never seen her with anyone on a friendship basis. I have yet to see her with what could be classified as a best girl-friend.
My boyfriend who is her brother has said on several occasions that she sits in her house day in and day out by herself because she has alienated those around her.
Personally I find it rather sad because it must be a very lonely exiistence. But on the other hand she has done this to herself.
My question is does this condition get worse and is there medication that could help her??
Since her mother is so protective of her (and I mean protective to the point that if one questions the validaty of this woman's stories) the mother becomes enraged over it. Not upset at her daugjhter but upset at whomever is questioning whether it is another lie or not. I really believe that her mother enables her to do what she is doing by validating whatever shis woman choses to do no matter who or what she hurts in the process.

Mary

Old 09-19-2005, 05:31 AM  
(female)

Erika2610 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwicklif
I have caught her in serveral lies by checking her story out as have others. She also covers that lie with another lie. But to get even she usually retaliates with a series of lies told on those that uncover the truth.
Is this a condition that is passed on from parents to their children or is this a learned response to something that they have encountered.
I would like to add that she has no friends to really speak of. In the last couple of years that I have known her I can honestly say that I have never seen her with anyone on a friendship basis. I have yet to see her with what could be classified as a best girl-friend.
My boyfriend who is her brother has said on several occasions that she sits in her house day in and day out by herself because she has alienated those around her.
Personally I find it rather sad because it must be a very lonely exiistence. But on the other hand she has done this to herself.
My question is does this condition get worse and is there medication that could help her??
Since her mother is so protective of her (and I mean protective to the point that if one questions the validaty of this woman's stories) the mother becomes enraged over it. Not upset at her daugjhter but upset at whomever is questioning whether it is another lie or not. I really believe that her mother enables her to do what she is doing by validating whatever shis woman choses to do no matter who or what she hurts in the process.

Mary
The girl I knew did it because she felt insecure & wanted people to like her more..
Very insecure girl.

Old 09-19-2005, 06:05 AM  

mwicklif HB User

I agree a very insecure person however what impact does the mother's reaction have on her future behavior???
How musch of her behavior and future behavior is the mother's fault???

Old 09-25-2005, 07:43 AM  

mwicklif HB User

Does anyone have any ideas why the mother of this woman is so protective of her to the point of being supportive???

Old 11-02-2005, 09:56 PM  
(female)

Zbrit HB User

Dear GatsbyLuvz1920............can you please help me out Look under pathological liar .....Im having a real hard time excepting what has just happened with my relationship with a liar.........you seem as though you know a lot about this stuff......can you help

Old 11-03-2005, 09:37 AM  
(male)

mauvais HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwicklif
I would like to add that she has no friends to really speak of.
Another thing that she does is invent health problems to get attention.

Sounds to me like classic borderline personality disorder. I'm sure she could benefit from counseling and possibly meds.

I'm not sure why some parents are so overprotective of children. Perhaps she has deep issues herself that is why her daughter developed a disorder. Or her mother may feel she has to stick up for the "underdog" who has no friends, no life, and obviously a lot of problems.