It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2006, 05:37 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gram4 HB User
Daughter tried to kill herself!

My daughter is bi-polar, we have been everywhere for yrs now, mental hospitals, jails you name it. She turned to drugs & went to jail, came out & went to a 12 step program. Was doing good & got a yr but them made a new friend who is also bi-polar & stopped going to meetings. She got a boyfriend which she has to have or else. Well he was going to break off w/her so she took loads of pills. She seems to be acting worse since then & it scares me. She's not at home but I have a feeling something is not good. The guy took her back so I guess she's ok for now. We have been dealing with this since she was young & it scares me. I have heard of people having it & doing good on meds but as soon as she gets involved w/a man she goes off. I can't do much since she's in her 30's.

Old 03-23-2006, 12:12 AM   #2
(female)

cagedbird HB User
Re: Daughter tried to kill herself!

I'm so sorry to hear your daughter isn't doing well. She could be using drugs again. Self medicating with street drugs or booze is what a lot of people suffering from bipolar do. The med's the pdoc's give are trial and error,hard to find the right combo to make you feel good,most make you tired and flat. I can understand her going off of them. I'm bipolar and everyday I wish I wouldn't have to take one more pill,but I do,it's my choice. Do you think you can speak with her and see if she will get help? She sounds manic,with the whole guy thing. Does she live close by so you can drop in and see for your self how she is doing? I know how scared you must be,just show her how much you care about her,and don't judge her. My daughter is 29 and was DX as bipolar years ago,she isn't medicated either,and I'm worrying about her mental health also.

cagedbird

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2006, 12:23 AM   #3
(female)

Firstlove HB User

Hi billsgramp

I know how hard it can be worrying about a child/adult child and not being able to do anything for them or have them listen to good advice.
At the end of the day at 30 you really have no choice but to let her do her own thing, I am sure she is well aware that you are there for her when she needs you, and one day she will.
Bipolar comes with additive behavior and addictions – alcohole, drugs, sex, food and whatever else one can become addicted to – people, men!
All these addictions are in order to feel either something or nothing.
Some bipolar people need constant reassurance and having someone telling them that they are loved or needed by a lover makes them feel worthy, even if only for a while.. until they need the next fix.

Suicide to someone with bipolar means the end of the pain, the end of the loneliness, the end of the worry, the end of the need, the end of the constant feel of failure, the end of the emptiness, the end of the substitutes and the end of self which is the problem.

Yes, I have been there, infact, not a day goes by without me thinking of some form of suicide… I am often heard saying to myself, “Brains are f****d in the head”… lol

You are a caring Dad and your daughter will know that

Last edited by Firstlove; 03-24-2006 at 12:24 AM.

Old 03-26-2006, 02:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gram4 HB User

Thanks for replying, I thought there were drugs involved too but the hospital said they only found her meds she was taking. She got involved w/a women who is taking alot of prescription drugs, too many. She turned on us when we went to the hospital & sd she was never good enough for this family. We have spent our whole life trying to help her. Her son is so upset & not talking to her because she tried to kill herself over a man. He didn't have her in his life growing up & was happy that she was doing so good in the program but doesn't go to that anymore either. It's always the same starts out great & then finds some weirdo & changes.

Old 03-27-2006, 08:16 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

bpd_bipolar HB User

BiPolar is something that is difficult to live with, no matter if you are the person that has it or the person that lives with that person. I'm BiPolar and have a boyfriend that is as well. I wonder why I can't do anything good enough and that is for both of us at times.

You can only be there for her if she wants you to be. If she is off thinking she is oh k, then she won't take her meds, not realizing that they are the things that make her oh k.

It tokk a lot of years to get me on the right meds, she might be on the wrong ones and that is why she is not bothering with them, she might not see a difference.

I also know what it is like to take other pills too (I was an addict and I guess even though I take them as prescribed, I will always be an addict). I take 16 pills a day to keep myself as sane as I can be and healthy (sounds weird, but there really is a pill for everything).

You need to do an intervention, in which her son is there to show support for her as well. She needs to know she is loved, but that she also needs to stay under a doctors care and take her meds. Not easy, but sounds like what needs to be done.

My husband (at the time) and I decided to give our 2 girls up for adoption because I was so manic and depressed. The BiPolar an dBPD had me scared that one day they would get it do to my actions (how I would yell for no reason). I wanted them to have a chance at life with a normal family. I miss them horridly and it's been almost 6 years now that I have been without them, bit I know that it is for the best for their sake.

In any case, I wanted to share a little with you and also give you some advice, I hope I helped you a little bit.

Old 03-29-2006, 05:24 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gram4 HB User

My daughter also gave her 2 kids up, we raised her son now 18 & another grandmother has her daughter, 16. Be careful please w/all those drugs. Alot of them now cause suicide feelings. 1st my daughter then I just heard of a young man in his 20's had so much going for him & OD'd on his meds & died. She was in a 12 step program & doing great talking about her problems & dealing w/them but now she hasn't been going.

Old 03-30-2006, 07:35 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

bpd_bipolar HB User

Thank you for your concern.

All you can do is make sure she knows that you are there for her. Tell her that, make usre she knows she has people that love her and only want the best for her. Drill it into her that you are there for support and not to criticize, but to help.

It is difficult for people to ask for help and it sounds like she falls in that caterfory of I don't think they will understand what I am going through.

I hope the best for you guys.........

Closed Thread