It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2006, 06:34 AM   #1
(female)

karibradford HB User
Teen daughter hyposexuality/mania

I was away for the weekend on course and when I came home, I could tell right away that my 13 year old had not had her meds ( hubby's responsibility to make sure she had them, not to just tell her to take them and expect she would). I went to the friends house where my hubby and kids were and was confronted by two people at separate times. One was a young man about 19 (whom I have known since he was 3) and he told me my daughter had been asking him certain sexual references involving a group of people and she was getting fairly suggestive and flirty with him and he was concerned. The other person was my best friend and she knows what I have been going through with my daughter. She told me she had observed over the weekend that my daughter seemed to flirt with and try to drape herself over every male who entered the household. She was asking them inappropriate questions and appeared to be quite willing for anything anyone could have offered. I asked if it could just be curiousity and my friend said no, and that what she saw scares her. Heck, it scares me! Anyone else ever experience this with their teen or have suggestions as to how to deal with it? Also my husband and daughter have been fighting alot lately but all in all it appears to me that she is in a bit of a manic state because other than the spats with her dad, she appears very happy, whereas she is normally quite irritable, and always ready for a fight with anyone. Since she seems to appear happy, her friends are starting to come around a bit more. Before, just the loyal ones would stick by her, but even then her moods were wearing thin with them. Her room has been clean for two weeks and she is obsessive about having a shower every morning (before I would practically have to force her to shower when she smelled so bad!) Am I right to assume this is a manic state? It is so unlike her to be doing these thing, although it is nice to not have to put up with how she was before. She has not been diagnosed with BP, but is on concerta for ADHD and risperdal for oppositional defiance disorder. I see the pediatrician the day after tomorrow and am going to demand a med change. My husband (who is in denial that she might be bipolar) said not to knock it, that I should enjoy it and leave it be. I don't think I should ignore it as I figure when she turns again (or crashes) it is going to be a lot worse than before. If this is true...is there anyway I can prepare for it? I need help!
Karen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2006, 04:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User
Re: Teen daughter hyposexuality/mania

Yes, it's prob manic. I have a friend who goes through the same thing. She is in her late 40's and is married...and when she's manic, she takes off....and is with any man she sees. It's the mania for sure. doctor needs to know this....and if he's had her meds, she needs new ones......................does she go to doc regularly and get her levels checked? My friend always did....as the meds she was on could be toxic if they are not watched...........

Good Luck!

Old 04-10-2006, 06:03 PM   #3
(female)

karibradford HB User
Re: Teen daughter hyposexuality/mania

Hi Flintrock. Thanks for your post. My daughter goes to the pediatrician every 4-6 months or so to have her height and weight and stuff checked, but no blood work. I called the pediatrician two weeks ago to ask him about the possibility of her being bipolar instead of/or with the ADHD. He told me she was too young to be diagnosed as BP but when I asked about the risperdal, he told me it was for the oppositional defiance disorder and the possible onset of BP. I questioned him about his statements as it seem contradictory to me. When I asked about a med change, her said respirdal is the drug of choice. I told him that I wanted to talk to him about a med change as the respirdal is not working. Should be interesting this Wednesday when we go in to see him again because I am not leaving without a med change and a referral to a child psychiatrist/psychologist. It will be interesting to say the least!

Last edited by karibradford; 04-12-2006 at 03:08 PM.

Closed Thread