It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2006, 03:17 AM   #1
(male)

dunkee8 HB User
My friend lies and makes up stories all the time

My friend lies and makes up stories all the time. I feel bad for her because it's so transparent. People often make fun of her because her lies are so obvious. I've even confronted her about it once... she didn't deny it. She just got upset and it hasn't been the same between us since. Well, lately, I've been hanging out with her again... and again, the same lies. She likes to make up stories about her day about random things that happen to her. Thing is, she sometimes forgets who she tells what, and uses the same story the next week. Also, we've caught her in obvious lies that she can't get out of, but we don't call her out on it. She lies about school too, which I haven't asked her much about. For all we know, she could be dropped out but pretending to still be in school (I know a friend's friend who did that).

Anyway, I want to help her, I feel horrible. I know its her childhood and upbringing that kinda screwed up her mind. Her father and brother passed away almost a year apart from each other, that was a big hit to her. She changed personalities, and became a different person (this was in high school, she's now 23). She's a pretty girl, and she's not dumb. Definitely could make something of herself.. but if she keeps up the lies, she may be headed toward a bad road. I want to her straighten up before it's too late. Do you guys have any suggestions on what I should do? I mean, I could tell her to go see a psychiatrist, but I don't know if she'd listen.

Oh yeah, is there a name for this personality disorder? Thanks in advance guys

Last edited by dunkee8; 10-14-2006 at 03:20 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2007, 08:45 PM   #2
(female)

armyofone05 HB User
Re: My friend lies and makes up stories all the time

sounds like the cluster b personality disorder, which includes: naracistic, dependency, histrionic, etc.
i would think the best way is to ask her maybe to see a psychologist or psychiatrist. they would be able to listen and figure out why she tells wild stories instead of the truth. i guess it depends on how outrageous the lies are. sometimes i do it to not get in toruble with my boyfriend (even though he knows im lying), or to impress people to like me. its all the situation.

Old 03-31-2007, 08:46 PM   #3
(female)

armyofone05 HB User
Re: My friend lies and makes up stories all the time

sounds like the cluster b personality disorder, which includes: naracistic, dependency, histrionic, etc.
i would think the best way is to ask her maybe to see a psychologist or psychiatrist. they would be able to listen and figure out why she tells wild stories instead of the truth. i guess it depends on how outrageous the lies are. sometimes i do it to not get in toruble with my boyfriend (even though he knows im lying), or to impress people to like me. its all the situation i guess.

Closed Thread