It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2006, 08:06 PM   #1
(female)

tigeress1026 HB User
My boyfriend has bipolar

Hi! My name is Jennifer and I am 28 years old. I have been with my boyfriend for 2.5 years. He was diagnosed with bipolar just before I met him. Before that he use to be a big drug addict and self medicated himself. He has been in therapy and is also on lithium and welbutrin. We just recently changed his meds and he is on a waiting list to see a psych at community mental health. His family doc is monitoring his meds until that time. He sees a therapist weekly to every 2 weeks. I just had to make an emergency appointmet for his therapist yesterday. He hasd a major episode. A lotof his episodes are brought on by his parents and ex-wife. His parents give him absolutley no support and even threw it in his face today that he threatened suicide a few weeks ago. His ex is trying to take his daughter from him because of it. SHe is 4 and is no way in harm from him. I am always around and I will not hesitate to call community mental health if needed. We have a 2 year old together that is special needs. SHe was born 12 weeks premature and now has a trach and feeding tube. FOr the most part I am her primary caregiver. So he is under a lot of stress which I know doesn't help at all. Lately it has been real bad for us. I belong to a support board for parents of trached children, so I though maybe if I could find him a support board for bipolar that he would have others to talk to that know how he feels and what he is going through. I am familiar with message boards, but he isn't, so it will take some time for him to figure this all out. He is cheeneyjo when he logs on and writes. I am also hoping this board can help me to better understand this disorder and how to live with him. I love him to death and the last 2 years hasn't been easy, but I'm not ready to give up on him. We have a daughter together. I have tried to explain to his family and ex-wide what this is all about. His ex-wife says its' not her problem, but what she doesn't understand is that one day it may be as she is the mother of their daughter and I know bipolar is herditery. I know our daughter has even more of a chance as my father is bipolar and I suffer from severe depression and anxeity, which i am medicated for. I am looking forward to getting to know people on here and seeking advice from those that can help us. Thank you for your time and sorry this is so long.

Jennifer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2006, 10:09 PM   #2
(female)

shelb HB User
Re: My boyfriend has bipolar

this board is great it helps a lot and I'm happy to see you here i also used to self medicate and yeah got me no where of course good luck guys gods blessings shelb

Old 10-27-2006, 11:05 AM   #3
(female)

tigeress1026 HB User

Thank you for your reply and welcoming. I really hope this board helps Joe and gives him some comfort that he's not a lone.

Jennifer

Old 10-27-2006, 07:25 PM   #4
(male)

fattyrc HB User

Get his Testosterone level checked. Seriously! I wased diagnosed Bipolar when I was 14 (I'm 29 now). They checked my level 2 months ago & found it to be very low. I started receiving injections right away (once a month) & am off my meds & been symptom free for the last 2 months!

Old 10-28-2006, 07:55 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

marshmallow HB User

fattyrc do you mean that low testosterone can cause bipolar symptoms? Please explain. thanks

Old 10-29-2006, 01:11 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Madam Captain HB User

A good friend of mine was diagnosed with bipolar disorder about a year ago. Actually, we went out for about 2 years (before he was diagnosed) but we broke it off (nothing to do with him being bipolar, things just didn't work out) Before he was diagnosed, he was under a lot of pressure at work and he attempted suicide. He also had an episode when he got all his furniture from inside the house and took it outside. He realised then that something was wrong (the suicide attempt was also part of being bipolar). The best thing you can do for your boyfriend is to offer him support and just 'be there' for him. My good friend went to lots of counselling sessions and he told the counsellor that he had always been able to talk to me about anything. She encouraged him to talk to me for support because she knew it would help him.

Closed Thread