It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2007, 06:41 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Aquaticgirl HB User
I think that someone I know has an attention-seeking disorder

Hi!

I've known this girl for a year and I really believe that she has an attention-seeking disorder. It is hard to explain what she does but I'll try. She will say things really loudly and then look around to see who is listening to her and then ask her about what she says. She thinks out loud, too. And she's a 'teacher's pet'. She always does things to get noticed.

I sit next to her in homeroom and when she does one of those things I usually answer her... (usually people ignore her) because I feel like if a person with an attention-seeking disorder will be really irritated if they don't get the attention they are looking for.

Am I doing the right thing? I think I am going to talk to the school nurse and see if she can talk to this girl.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Seymour93 HB User
Re: I think that someone I know has an attention-seeking disorder

She probably has a histrionic personality. Personally I would ignore her and then see what happens. In all likelihood she needs professional assistance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2007, 02:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Aquaticgirl HB User

Okay. Thanks!

Old 03-01-2007, 02:44 PM   #4
(female)

scarletknight33 HB User

I agree about the histrionic personality disorder; however, that disorder or other personailty disorders can not be diagnost in the adolescent years. If a person is attention-seeking, the last thing that you want to do is too feed into this unhealthy behavior. Honestly, a person with this issue is looking for any kind of attention whether it be positive of negative. As hard as it is and as annoying as it may be, try not to feed into her unhealthy behavior.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:09 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Aquaticgirl HB User

Oh. Thanks for the info and your opinion. Sometimes I just feel badly if she says something and people ignore her, because this is how she is all day long. Is there a way that I can talk to her without feeding to her problem at the same time?

Old 03-01-2007, 06:04 PM   #6
(female)

scarletknight33 HB User

Definately, but it might take some work on your part. Given the fact that she has this issue, the conversation is going to have to be directed by you. The key is to focus on issues that are tangable and concrete-based. Conversations of this nature help to keep individuals with this issue more focused and structured. Also, having solid and healthy boundaries on your part is a plus. When a person has good boundaries, they are able to veralize what they are and are not willing to put up with. Although this might be difficult at first, it is very effective. Let me know how things work out for you.

Closed Thread