It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2007, 06:01 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

marshmallow HB User
What is the difference of bipolar and borderline personality

I have been reading a lot of articles on both bipolar and borderline and they seem so similar that I cannot tell what makes them different. Can anyone tell me the difference. I read that bpd usually does not respond to meds and bp does but most of the other stuff seems the same.Thank you.

Old 05-28-2007, 08:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

twoeyez HB Usertwoeyez HB User
Re: What is the difference of bipolar and borderline personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
I have been reading a lot of articles on both bipolar and borderline and they seem so similar that I cannot tell what makes them different. Can anyone tell me the difference. I read that bpd usually does not respond to meds and bp does but most of the other stuff seems the same.Thank you.
Marsh :
The main feature of borderline personality disorder (BPD) is a pervasive pattern of instability in interpersonal relationships, self-image and emotions. People with borderline personality disorder are also usually very impulsive and occurs in most by early adulthood. The instable pattern of interacting with others has persisted for years and is usually closely related to the person's self-image and early social interactions. The pattern is present in a variety of settings (e.g., not just at work or home) and often is accompanied by a similar lability (fluctuating back and forth, sometimes in a quick manner) in a person's emotions and feelings. Relationships and the person's emotion may often be characterized as being shallow. A person with this disorder will also often exhibit impulsive behaviors.

By comparison : People who have bipolar disorder experience highs and lows in their moods. The highs are what is referred to as Mania, the lows are what is referred to as Depression. These mood swings range from tons of energy to deep despair (even suicidal thoughts). The severity (and frequency) of the mood swings may last a lot longer than BPD.Their life disrupting abilities are the difference between bipolar disorder and ordinary mood swings that occur in almost everyone.

These are some of basic differences between Bipolar Disorder (BP), and Borderline Personality Disorder, (BPD). There are some symptoms that are similar...more so with Bipolar II & Bipolar III.

Hope this helpful

Carry On,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2007, 10:16 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

marshmallow HB User

Thank you, Eyes. It is hard for me to discern the difference with my husband because I did not know him growing up but was told by a friend from his teens that he was a risk taker and seemed to have a death wish. I was told by his family he had a history of quiting jobs or being fired. He never stayed on a job long and often went home to his parents in his 20 and 30's. I met him in his 40's and he was not working and had no means of support. (was I blind or what?) He was living with his parents but said it was to help them out but later I realized the truth. When I first met him he was often so energetic and would work in the yard doing projects on end and often could not sleep at night. When he started work he would go in and work at 2 or 3 in the morning. Then he would fall into deep depressions if we had a disagreement and even say he did not want to live. During our first years together he would go off the deep and punch holes in the walls and showed much violence and anger. If I doubted anything about him he would go crazy. Often he would take off and go get drunk. He got arrested for driving drunk. During a conversation we could be laughing and if I say something that bothers him he will get angry or call me names. I could go on and on but it is so hard to know what he has. Two tdocs said bp/bpd and the pdoc said bipolar. When he had brain imaging done they said he had a mood disorder and something else showed up that could be a degenerative disease or coudl of been from a trauma to the head. (he had 2) He is suppose to see a neurologist in June. It is so confusing to me but I thought someone may know. Does any of this seem one or the other to you. There are so many more things he did I cannot list everything. Thanks

Old 05-28-2007, 11:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

March :
From your story of his symptoms....it sounds more in favor of BPD...Early history seems to suggest this,also.....However,your pdoc felt more symptoms toward BP. This pdoc did not say BPII or BPIII ? What Meds,if any are RXeD ? You might of said,but I can't remember.

Carry On,

Old 05-28-2007, 11:35 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

marshmallow HB User

I was beginning to think bpd too but I just dont know. When we first separated he would come to the house in a state of complete depression but cry uncontrollably and then in a minute he could be so irritable and raging. The doctor put him on Lamictal Sp may be wrong. He started him on 25 mg for a week then 50 for the next week and the third week see pdoc again. This Friday makes 3 weeks. He did not say if it was bp 1 or 2 or anything. It is so confusing because if its bp and the meds need to take affect it will be different than if its bpd that may not respond to the meds. He also says things that do not make sense at times about killers. Like when the shooting in Va took place he said more of that should happen and closer to home so people would know this world is only temporary. Theres lots of other things that won't come to mind right now too.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:14 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Well, I hope the the Lamictal is helpful if the Dx is BP (Sounds more like BPII).
However, so many symptoms lead to BPD.Although the cause of BPD is unknown, both environmental and genetic factors are thought to play a role in predisposing the BPD symptoms and traits.Some individuals with BPD report a history of abuse, neglect, or separation as young children;some report having been sexually abused, usually by a non-caregiver. BPD results from a combination of individual vulnerability to environmental stress, neglect or abuse as young children, and a series of events that trigger the onset of the disorder as young adults. Is there any knowledge of this with your husband.? Adults with BPD are also considerably more likely to be the victim of violence, including rape and other crimes. The comments that your husband made about the VA shootings may be do related to more of a BPD Dx.

Ask more questions of your pdoc....The type of BP...BPI..BPII..BPIII.
How Mood stabilizers work with BP vs BPD. And different compo of these Mood stabilizers. And Treatments for BPD. Group and individual psychotherapy are at least partially effective. A new psychosocial treatment termed dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) was developed specifically to treat BPD......If in fact the Dx really is more BPD.

Your answers lie with your pdoc...and your tdoc.

Carry On,

Old 05-28-2007, 12:28 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

marshmallow HB User

Thank you so much for your posts they help a lot. My problem right now is he doesn't not want me involved and does not want to talk to me. I have a recent conversation with him that was very light and we even laughed but then all of a sudden he said he did not want to talk to me and he hung up. He has been saying he wanted me to stay away from him then he would call. When he had the brain imagery done he would not sign a release for me to talk to them and now I an not invited to the pdocs. I am so tired and ready to give it all up. It apprears he does not want anything to do with me but I keep hoping but one can only take so much. It has been 8 very long and chaotic years. He seems so angry with me no matter what I do. As far as his childhood my sister in law told me that her husband told her that their mother was very abusive and cruel to the kids. They were also in a very very strict religion. I don't know if any of this contributes to bpd or not. The father was a real gem though. I only knew the mother a short time but she was difficult. Both are deceased now.

Old 05-28-2007, 02:21 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

martavee HB User

This is a copy and paste job. I'm too lazy to paraphrase.

Co-morbid (co-occurring) conditions in BPD are common. When comparing individuals diagnosed with BPD to those diagnosed with other kinds of personality disorders, the former showed a higher rate of also meeting criteria for:[26]

* anxiety disorders
* mood disorders (including clinical depression and bipolar disorder)
* eating disorders (including anorexia nervosa and bulimia)
* and, to a lesser extent, somatoform disorders

Substance abuse is a common problem in BPD, whether due to impulsivity or as a coping mechanism, and 50% to 70% of psychiatric inpatients with BPD have been found to meet criteria for a substance use disorder.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:36 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dee-nah HB User

Hi Marsh!

There is a section on Healthboards called "Personality Disorders", it's just like this site but for BPD.

How are you holding up?

Last edited by Dee-nah; 05-28-2007 at 07:37 PM.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:16 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

marshmallow HB User

Dee-nah I was just thinking of you yesterday wondering where you were and how you were. As for me I am kind of worn out-just plain tired mentally and emotionally. Thank you for asking.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:28 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dee-nah HB User

I bet you are BUT I hope you are also doing things for yourself and not letting this situation take over you!

Old 05-29-2007, 04:48 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

marshmallow HB User

I am not doing much but work, eat and sleep but hopefully I will change that soon. I just don't have the emotional energy for much more. I think my husband has let me know he does not want to be with me so its time to take back my life. I feel sad and still care about him but I need to have him care too. When a person tells you to stay away I guess its best to do that dont you think?

Old 05-29-2007, 04:53 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

AussieTam HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
Dee-nah I was just thinking of you yesterday wondering where you were and how you were. As for me I am kind of worn out-just plain tired mentally and emotionally. Thank you for asking.
Hi Marsh, sending huuuge hugs your way! Dealing with a person with either of these conditions can be tremendously difficult. I have a bipolar father, and it is suspected that my mother has BPD. I have bipolar myself, and from what you describe of your husband, he sounds VERY much like my father, who is Bipolar I. All you can do is be patient with your bipolar loved one, offer support, be there for them - and don't be afraid to seek support for yourself. My Mum had a hard time with Dad, and she is one who finds it hard to ask for help - and I think it would have made a world of difference (they have been divorced for 17 years now)

This could also be a case of co-morbidity as mentioned above, many of these disorders DO go hand in hand - for instance, I also have mild anxiety and OCD thrown into my goody bag

I wish you all the best.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:54 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dee-nah HB User

Yes it is...Did you ever feel that your better off??? I can personally say that my ex is feeling he is better off as I am with him. Don't get me wrong sometimes I feel like calling him but I know what will eventually happen and with that I don't!

Last edited by Dee-nah; 05-29-2007 at 04:54 AM.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:59 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

marshmallow HB User

aussie, thank your for your kind words. I sure need them. I have been trying for over 8 years to get my husband to see he needs help. He just went on meds a few weeks ago but now he is pushing me away so I feel I dont have much choice. It is so strange because he has always said how much he cared and still does but tells me to stay away and he doe not want to talk to me. I feel like I am beating a dead horse.

Dee-nah, There are ways I am better alone and ways I am better with him IF he was not raging and so angry. I miss the times when he was so loving and kind but they are gone now I guess. So sad to me.

Closed Thread