It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2007, 01:28 PM   #16
Inactive
(female)

tsohl HB User
Re: Lamictal questions...

Hello 4Support,

Nice to hear from you. To answer or attempt to answer your question, I would say "yes." I think the key is that the indivdual has to have some self-awareness and be willing to accept that he indeed has a mental disorder. I think the longer an individual is on meds and feels good (and recognizes they need the meds), there is an awareness what can through things off.

Let me know if you find a way to get over those feelings of fear!! For me, the fear has definitely lessened. But in the back of my mind there is always a teeny bit of fear that something could happen to overturn that hard-won stability. But then I think, well, he found stability once; we can find it again if something should happen. You can't let fear overwhelm you.

I ran across an interesting article on the internet today that I believe you would find helpful. Search fo Dr. Arnold L. Lieber. The topic of the article is Bipolar Spectrum Disorder. In it he addresses the issue of ADHD in bipolar patients.

I hope your husband is starting to understood how you stood by him during difficult times. Does he have any awareness of how his behavior affected you?

He may find that he cannot drink at all. I discovered that during the time my son was so ill. I don't seem to have the personality that allows me to have one or two glasses of wine. If I have one, I want the whole bottle. If I were with others, I might even want another bottle! So I just don't drink at all anymore. It is easier and I do not miss it.

Hope all is well with you and your family. When do you go to Canada?

Cheers,
Tsohl

Last edited by tsohl; 06-24-2007 at 01:29 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2007, 05:03 PM   #17
Inactive
(female)

4support HB User

Dear Tsohl,

We have been thru so many ups and downs since he started taking lithium, I think this is why I am hesitant to embrace something which seems too good to be true right now. The back and forth is an emotional roller coaster and for as strong as I've always tried to be, it now doesn't take much for me to feel the opposite when the other behaviour starts to emerge.

It does seem he has more self awareness, but he hasn't told me he believes in his dx yet. I am still waiting for him to accept that he has the disorder, I'm sure this has a lot to do with my nervousness. Although he seems to recognize that he 'feels' better and is doing better with the meds and continues to keep taking them, occasionally he will still complain about the costs of therapy/pdoc/meds and say that if we are ever in a tight spot, his treatment will be the first to go because he doesn't know if he really needs the meds anyway. This is so confusing and terrifying to me, it's as if he vascillates between knowing and questioning. I guess what I need is a 100% commitment from him.

The only thing my husband has admitted to is knowing that his 'condition' probably did create a lot of conflict in our home. He has never apologized for anything, told me how much he appreciates me standing by him, or acted aware of how his behaviour affected not only me, but our children. He has said before that he "wasn't that bad" and that I must be exaggerating. He doesn't like to talk about "those days" and seems to have a disconnect with how bad it was while he was manic.

You probably have a clearer idea of why I have the FEAR now. Just having confirmation that he at least understands what he has put us thru, or knowing he would never want to do that again would make me feel better. It is really upsetting to me when he eludes to his treatment being the "first to go" if he feels too much financial pressure, as if all of this is not really necessary to begin with.

Whew, I really do feel I need a therapy session. It has taken so long to get to this point. I just can't imagine he can't see how different everything is, I think he does but for some reason doesn't like to talk about it.

The therapist had mentioned doing a joint session soon now that he has made so much progress, I think that will help get some of this out in the open.

Thank you for the article, I looked it up and plan to read it tonight.

4support

Last edited by 4support; 06-25-2007 at 09:38 AM.

Old 06-25-2007, 04:45 PM   #18
(female)

dazzlecity HB User

It's so hard to tell which drugs work and wich are not.. Lamictal is just one of the many my therapist has me taking, I think there are 12 to 15 different meds, all together they total 2,650.00 a month 1 to sleep, 1 to stay awake, 1 to be happy, 1 not to be too happy yadda yadda yadda

So, who knows??

dazzlecity

Last edited by dazzlecity; 06-25-2007 at 04:46 PM.

Old 06-26-2007, 04:50 PM   #19
(female)

valjay716 HB User
Red face Re: Lamictal questions...

Hello, I have been on Lamictal for about 4 months only 50mg. Now they want to add lithium and vestaril. Anyone know anything about them?? I am still having bouts of mania/depression like I am on a roller coaster. At first the Lamictal was doing great, now its back to the roller coaster.

Last edited by valjay716; 06-26-2007 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Lithium question not lamictal

Old 06-26-2007, 06:55 PM   #20
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

I don't know about the other drugs, but I've been on 100 Lamictal for a few months. I started getting a lot of symptoms back badly: deep depression, anger, irritability, suicidal ideation (no possibility of me doing anything at all), other stuff.
Pdoc suggested raising it to 125, and as I've understood, it takes a long while to click in, and then people usually adjust it upwards in small increments.
Do you trust your pdoc? It takes a ton of trail and error to find the right meds, and I hope you do find the right ones for yourself.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:27 PM   #21
(female)

2fast HB User

Seaturtle,

It does take a long time to figure out the right meds. It took a few months for me to get up to the 300mg (it can go as high as 400mg/day), I had to increase it by 25mg a week. I'm starting to feel really good, in addition to Lam., I take Wellbutrin and just started back on Lexapro. I think we might have actually found the right combo for me.

Tara

Old 06-26-2007, 08:50 PM   #22
Inactive
(female)

tsohl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by valjay716 View Post
Hello, I have been on Lamictal for about 4 months only 50mg. Now they want to add lithium and vestaril. Anyone know anything about them?? I am still having bouts of mania/depression like I am on a roller coaster. At first the Lamictal was doing great, now its back to the roller coaster.
Lithium is the oldest medication used in the treatment of bipolar disorder. And it is still considered the "gold standard" if you can tolerate it. It is a mood stabilizer, as is Lamictal. Vistaril is used for anxiety, among other things. The dosage of Lamictal you are on is quite modest. It is common to use more that one mood stabilizer in an attempt to get you off that roller coaster.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:48 AM   #23
Inactive
(female)

4support HB User

My hubbie is on 1500 mg lithium / 100 mg lamictal / 40 mg Adderall daily and it seems to be the right combo for him. I say "seems" because I have only seen the amazing difference in his stability for 2 weeks, but it looks as though we're finally on the right track...

Valjay, I wonder if you just need to have the Lamictal increased, 50 mg is a pretty low dose and may not be effective enough for you.

Seaturtle, I hope once the Lamictal is increased, some of the side effects go away for you. Different meds work for different people, but I would hate to see you get off of something that helps you if you could conquer the effects after a while.

2fast, very encouraging! My hubbie says he's felt better on the Lamictal than with anything else - hallelujah!

Thank u all for sharing ur experiences with me. I am very hopeful that my husband will continue to do well with this med combo. I know this illness can shift/change over time, but it's amazing to see what the right meds and self awareness can do! It's as if the BP is dormant!!

Regards,
4support

Old 06-28-2007, 12:04 PM   #24
(female)

2fast HB User

Hi 4support,

Just wanted to update you since my last post to this thread. Well, as you know I'm on Lam. 300, Well.300, and now on Lexapro. I had been on Lexapro about 2 years ago but stopped taking it because of sexual side efedcts (anorgasmia). When I told my pdoc how good I felt on Lex., she decided to try Zoloft thinking maybe I wouldn't have the same side effect. Well, I did. So I just figured I may as well go back on the Lexapro since I know it works for me. My bf and family even noticed a big difference in me the last time without even saying anything. Hopefully, after some time, the side effect will go away. glad to hear things are still going well for you and your hubby.

Tara

Closed Thread