It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2007, 04:26 AM   #1
(female)

lulu3806 HB User
need advice about my husbands mental health

my husbands mental health and behaviour appears to be deteriating.

he is having panic attacks; becoming very stressed at work and home; he is very aggressive verbally towards me or just sits in silence and ignores me.

the last couple of days he is really agitated. if anything upsets him he is very nasty verbally to me; throws things at me; locks himself in the bedroom. yesterday he didnt eat all day.

know he only sleeps 4 to 5 hours every night.

he is paranoid about everyone in his life - he thinks they are conspiring against him.

he has smoked canabis on a daily basis for the last 25 years - and i wouldn't suggest he stops because he becomes very aggressive when he has ran out.

the situation at the moment frightens me - he walked out of work today and has locked himself in his bedroom and wont talk to me. if i try he becomes very angry towards me.

over the last couple of days he has been very depressed, has thrown several things at me and been obvioulsy stressed.

he flatly refuses to visit the doctor - if i push the issue he goes into a rage.

am worried he may continue to get worse - what shall i do please help me

Old 06-19-2007, 05:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota_Skye HB User
Re: need advice about my husbands mental health

hi lulu,

there is an "addiction and recovery" forum on here where you may get more information about your husband's drug use. using for 25 years has definitely taken a toll on him.

about his anger and aggression toward you--it isn't only verbal, but you said he has been throwing things at you.... has he had these kind of episodes before, or only for the past 'couple of days' as you said in your post?

do you think that something may have happend at work to put him in this rage state and he's not telling you about? what about his male friends...can you get at least one (who's not a user) to talk with him? maybe he would be able to at least calm down enough to consider the possibility to realize that he CAN get some help, and to see someone about this?

i don't know what else to say, and i'm sorry. you're in a difficult situation now. hopefully others would post more ideas for you.

fondly,
dakota

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2007, 08:09 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

Also go on bipolar board..he sounds like he is bp.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:34 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

realize that he's being abusive and you don't have to take abuse. He's being emotionally abusive and on the verge of being physically abusive. I realize you want to help him, but he needs to help himself, and throwing a tempertantrum and locking himself in the bedroom isn't helping himself. I'd seriously consider moving out if he's not willing to do something about this.
depressed or not, he has no right to treat you like that.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:46 AM   #5
(female)

jujubeez725 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu3806 View Post
my husbands mental health and behaviour appears to be deteriating.

he is having panic attacks; becoming very stressed at work and home; he is very aggressive verbally towards me or just sits in silence and ignores me.

the last couple of days he is really agitated. if anything upsets him he is very nasty verbally to me; throws things at me; locks himself in the bedroom. yesterday he didnt eat all day.

know he only sleeps 4 to 5 hours every night.

he is paranoid about everyone in his life - he thinks they are conspiring against him.

he has smoked canabis on a daily basis for the last 25 years - and i wouldn't suggest he stops because he becomes very aggressive when he has ran out.

the situation at the moment frightens me - he walked out of work today and has locked himself in his bedroom and wont talk to me. if i try he becomes very angry towards me.

over the last couple of days he has been very depressed, has thrown several things at me and been obvioulsy stressed.

he flatly refuses to visit the doctor - if i push the issue he goes into a rage.

am worried he may continue to get worse - what shall i do please help me
Lulu,

if he's locked up in the bedroom and depressed; if he walked off the job and is verbally abusing you; if he's throwing objects at you and you can't get through to him, I would call emergency and tell them that he's locked himself up in the bedroom, won't eat, barely sleeps, is depressed and verbally abusive--AND he's throwing things at you.

They will ask if he has a history of mental illness; tell them what you know. They may send the police AND EMS, b/c someone is going to have to be able to handle him, and he's obviously violent.

They may ask you to "follow" them to a psychiatric hospital ... be prepared to "sign him in".

He can't keep barricading himself in the room and being abusive--verbally or otherwise.
Call his employer and let them know he's NOT WELL and find out if you can get FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) for him while he's off, so that he's protected from loss of a job.

Find out from the employer/HR dept. where to get the FMLA forms and get the doctor (whoever your husband sees) to fill them out.

Get details on this leave from the employer's HR department.

Closed Thread