It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2007, 08:15 AM   #1
(female)

teapotlady HB User
Unhappy My Sociopath BIL

My brother in law is a sociopath. We never had to deal with him much, every month he would hit up my mother in law for money because somebody else had taken away all that he owned. He has been through 3 wifes. They all cheated on him and were to blame, not. The only one who still believes his lies after all these years is his mother, who is now dying. So unfortunately the brother is back to get as much as possible out of her before she dies because she has been supporting him for years. We always knew he had problems but the social worker suggested we read The Sociopath next Door. Talk about light bulbs going off in our heads. He is drinking large amounts of vodka and he stole most of her morphine. Now we have it locked up. I called him on it and now he is after me. Hates me with a passion. I am afraid of him but will do whatever it takes to make sure my mother in law is safe in her last weeks here. Do you think he even cares about his mother's dying? Should I see about a restraining order or let him stay until after his mothers death and then boot him. We have hid all the money and the drugs are locked up but he keeps passing out with candles and cigarettes burning. I can't leave him alone with her. What a horrible situation. Any suggestions?

Old 10-10-2007, 04:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User
Re: My Sociopath BIL

Maybe you could get an outside agency to assist you in getting him away from his mom. Is she in hospice care? Maybe they would have more information for you. I would tread carefully; maybe anonymously.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2007, 06:36 AM   #3
(female)

teapotlady HB User
Re: My Sociopath BIL

She is under Hospice care and the Social worker has been helping us deal with his behavior so far. I was hoping they would charge him when he stole the morphine but even though we all know he did and when asked he never denied it, we can't prove it. I am hoping they will press adult dependent abuse charges as he extorted money from her. Personally I am afraid of him and would rather not be the one to press charges. We almost called the police on him yesterday and it turned out he went behind our backs and renewed her car insurance for the car he talked her out of. Then we were afraid he never got the title changed over to his name. Fortunately the title was put in his name and we let the insurance company know that it was not my MIL's car and he had no right to renew it.

What a mess. On what should be a time to saying goodbyes and taking care of my MIL we have to deal with this mess. I feel sorry for her, he doesn't though. He says why does this stuff always happen to me! He just mourns the money he got off her every month. Sad.

Closed Thread