It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2007, 08:54 PM   #1
(female)

DiveGirl84 HB User
Unhappy My best friend is schizophrenic

My bestfriend is schizophrenic and has a difficult time talking about it and describing what it is like. I have done a lot of research, but most of what I find is textbook answers. I am curious as to what he may go through and/or experience. He was diagnosed almost twelve years ago and we started hanging out just over two years ago.
We were dating at the time, but he does not like relationships so we have continued on as friends. I consider him to be my best friend, but he says that I only know the front he puts on. I want to get to know the "real" him, does anyone have any suggestions how to break through this front he puts up.
I love him more than anyone I have ever met, and want to be there for him. I just don't know how I can do that if he won't trust me enough to talk to me.
Thanks so much for any help/suggestions you can provide.
DiveGirl

Old 12-03-2007, 07:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: My best friend is schizophrenic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiveGirl84 View Post
We were dating at the time, but he does not like relationships so we have continued on as friends. I consider him to be my best friend, but he says that I only know the front he puts on. I want to get to know the "real" him, does anyone have any suggestions how to break through this front he puts up.
when a man (schizophrenic or otherwise) tells you something......listen to him.
He doesn't want a relationship and you don't know the real him.
You want more than friendship with him, it's obvious. This line of thinking will only bring you heartbreak.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2007, 03:59 AM   #3
(male)

Cottus HB User

The one thing worse than my own shizophrenia is being in a relationship, and knowing that the love of my life gets hurt by my illness. Perhaps he doesn't want to hurt you?

Old 12-05-2007, 03:31 PM   #4
(female)

happyface99 HB User

Hi There, Your messages makes me think you are a lovely person to stay friends with your friend that has schizophrenia. All I can say is if you love him as a person, just be there for him when he wants support and love. I also suffer with schizophrenia, and my partner understands me alot, he loves me and is there for me when ever I am down, just to know that someone loves you is enough. I think maybe your friend doesnt want to upset you when he is ill, but you can reasure him that you will understand no matter what. The symptoms way vary for him, and maybe he feels like his brain cannot take to much and he may have strange thoughts, even hallucinations. You can hear voices also with this illness when you get stressed. Maybe a good medication is needed for him to take, thats very important that he takes medication, that suits him. It can take a while to get the right meds. Hope this helps you. kind regards mandy

Old 12-05-2007, 07:01 PM   #5
(male)

LaFin HB User

I don't have (diagnosed) schizophrenia, but I have psychosis and one tip I would say is if he says he doesn't want to be in a relationship, leave it at that, and if he doesn't want to let his guard down in front of you, be happy he can even talk to you. It's hard to trust anyone, especially letting your guard down about a mental illness, even harder with something like schizophrenia. If he's going to let you see the real him you'll have to let him go at it with his own pace.

Old 12-26-2007, 06:55 PM   #6
(female)

olanzapina HB User
hi divegirl 84

I´m really happy that you´ve decided to stick by your friend even though he´skitz. I´m guessing he´s obviously not completely ill at this point. I lost all my friends when I got very ill because I didnt make any sense and that frightened them. Please, if he ever gets really ill, dont desert him. Just understand that´s part of the illness, that he will say hurtful and insane things but that´s just being ill - like having cancer or something - worse really since no one can see it or feel it. Just please be kind to your friend and not reject him, just love.

xx
olan

Closed Thread