It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2007, 11:28 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

liz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB User
Need some help--daughter with PD!!

I have always posted in the Bi-polar area, since that was what my daughter was dxed with...come to find out, she's not really bipolar, (loooong story, but I have found this isn't uncommon)...she has a personality disorder...she is off all meds and has been for a couple of months. The "true" her has emerged, and is as difficult to live with as the "bipolar" her when she's showing her colors..or acting out, or up, or whatever.....I honestly don't know what to do for or with her. She's 21, so she's "of age"..I want to ask her to leave our home, but my hubby won;t agree (he works out of town all week and does not interract with her much)...and all her anger, when she is feeling angry, is directed at me. She cannot hold a job, stay in school, stay in a relationship, keep a friendhip going.....everything that goes wrong is "the other person's fault"...always, usually it somehow comes back to something I said or did.
After doing a lot of reading and such I see her profile totally in the PD arena..she even SAYS she knows she has a PD. She is currently uninsured (because she won't go to school she is off our insurance and we cannot afford therapy..still paying off her trip to the hospital after a suicide attempt last summer!!) but she and I know she needs it.

Any help here would be great. These are unfamiliar waters. She refuses all meds although her past therapist said she would benefit from a low dose of an SSRI, (she was on Prozac, low dose, along with several other drugs for the Bipolar).....her behavior is making me crazy, since she still lives at home and is in my face so much--tho I work and am gone a lot, she is still such a stressor. (Hubby is no help--he is sick himself, recovering from a liver transplant 15 months ago and now treating for HepC with Interferon. Wicked bad TX and he can just manage to work and come home and go to bed. Will not and cannot handle crazy daughter, so he's not a part of the equation.)
Give me some hope-if there is any!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2007, 02:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Re: Need some help--daughter with PD!!

Without a proper diagnosis it is difficult to suggest which direction to take. If you are thinking BPD or Borderline Personality Disorder then look up DBT or Dialectical behavioral therapy plus there a number of threads devoted to it scattered through out this site. Any other personality disorders I have no idea where to begin and this includes BPD without a firm diagnosis.

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 12-21-2007, 03:18 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

liz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB User

She was dxed with a personality disorder and DBT was suggested by her pdoc. All refused by her.....and as she's 21, what can I do? I guess I am asking for help in dealing with living with her and altho I posted on the BP site (it was deleted by the moderator) I guess I am in this alone. She's not insured and she's drained us emotionally and financially dry this year. Well, she does accept the dx and hopefully she will seek help on her own. I guess I was hping for some emotional support here--thanks for your response, trg247.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

My 30yr old daughter is finally diagnosed with BPD after years of having bipolar as a diagnosis. She is married with two children who unfortunately see her in some horrific out bursts! Her husband can't hold a job, is a drug addict and has no understanding or compassion for mental illness. He's not a bad guy, no physical abuse and God knows with her in his face screaming he's good at refraining! He just has no motivations! I'm trying to learn as much about BPD so I can deal with hostilities that seem to always be directed at me and her sister!.HOpe to learn more from this board!

Closed Thread