It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2009, 12:49 PM   #1
(male)

Harold111 HB User
what can parents of bipolar son do?

if you have a grown child (30) who is displaying bipolar behavior what options are open to a parent? You can't make an adult go to the doctor seeking help unless they appear to be on the brink of hurting themselves or someone else I assume.

Also, when someone is displaying manic behavior, do you bring thier irrational behavior/talking to their attention or do you ignore it?

thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2009, 11:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User
Re: what can parents of bipolar son do?

Since he is an adult, unfortunately, there's not much you can do. That person is going to have to hit rock bottom or experience a severe manic or depressive episode before he realizes he needs help. If he does show signs of severe mania or depression and threatens to harm himself, you can get him inpatient treatment.

As for addressing manic behavior, you can bring it to his attention, but many people with bipolar deny being manic because they do not recognize the signs and/or they enjoy their mania.

If someone tells me I'm manic, I tend to deny it sometimes and it isn't until later when I reach the end of a manic episode that I "crash" into a deep, dark depression and realize that, yes, I am indeed manic.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2009, 09:59 AM   #3
(male)

Harold111 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams in neon View Post
Since he is an adult, unfortunately, there's not much you can do. That person is going to have to hit rock bottom or experience a severe manic or depressive episode before he realizes he needs help. If he does show signs of severe mania or depression and threatens to harm himself, you can get him inpatient treatment.

As for addressing manic behavior, you can bring it to his attention, but many people with bipolar deny being manic because they do not recognize the signs and/or they enjoy their mania.

If someone tells me I'm manic, I tend to deny it sometimes and it isn't until later when I reach the end of a manic episode that I "crash" into a deep, dark depression and realize that, yes, I am indeed manic.
So would you say that there is a point wher eyou gain objectivity and realize there is something wrong? Can that person be persuaded to see a doctor?

Also, when thye call up ranting, what do you do? Just listen?

Old 01-05-2009, 10:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

I don't gain objectivity when I'm manic until I feel depressed, angry and/or irritable. Prior to then (at the beginning of a manic episode), I feel extremely happy, creative and full of energy.

If this person calls you up ranting about something, I would suggest that you try to redirect the conversation to something positive. Allowing him or her to continue discussing topics they are upset about will only fuel their mood swings. Then again, you could always listen as a friend and try to be there for them, but if that is too emotionally exhausting for you, it might be best to keep your conversations to a minimum. You can certainly call this person several days a week, but it might be best to keep your conversations limited to 15 minutes or so.

When talking to this person, try to keep in mind that if they are upset about something and keep ranting on and on about it, this is the illness talking -- not them.

If you have any other questions, let me know and I will be more than happy to answer them.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Closed Thread