It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2009, 09:37 AM   #1
(female)

Strawberry Girl HB User
Does my 9 year old daugher have schizophrenia?

Hi

I begun a thread previously on this subject, but the moderator has now closed it due to the length of it. I am hoping they will allow me to post a new one, as it was a very successful thread in which participants were supporting one another. I was not aware there was a limit to how long the thread could last?

For those of you who were posting on my previous thread, I hope you will rejoin us here.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2009, 10:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User
Re: Does my 9 year old daugher have schizophrenia?

Strawberry Girl,

Yes, I do admit to having some fear of sharing my illnesses with other church members because as you are probably aware there is such a stigma associated with mental illness.

Perhaps there is a good likelihood they would support me 100%, but I don't know that for a fact and am afraid of them viewing and treating me differently as a result.

When you think about all of the varied misconceptions people have about schizophrenia and other forms of mental illness (for example, bipolar and how people mistakingly think it's an illness that only causes one to become extremely upset or is a character flaw) it's no wonder people are afraid to disclose their diagnoses and/or share the experiences of a loved one who is mentally ill.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2009, 02:43 PM   #3
(female)

Strawberry Girl HB User

Hi Dreams,

Thank you for your honesty. I would hope that if the members of your church are true christians then they would see beyond your diagnosis and not judge you because of it. Although as I said previously people do have a fear of the 'unknown' - another reason why you should consider writing a book!!

You remind me of a friend I once knew. She too had tremendous courage in the face of adversity, did not express bitterness at her situation and also strove to support others. In 1997, when her daughter was 3 she was diagnosed with terminal cancer - but she lived life to the full. Her mother was also diagnosed with terminal cancer - so together they battled. Sadly my friend lost her battle in July 2007 when her daughter was 13. During the 10 years she had with her child she created the most wonderful memories and guided her wisely. It is not often you meet someone whose courage and determination inspires you and leaves a lasting impact. Your attitude towards life reminds me of her. You are both very unique individuals.

My daughter had been so unwell today that she has refused medication. Her headaches, dizziness and vomiting have been on a daily basis. This afternoon she had another fainting spell, which really frightened her. I have e-mailed the Professor of Psychiatry to see what he suggests for I am at loss.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:20 PM   #4
(female)

taralee0309 HB User

well. last spring my daughter would have these head aches that would come and go. and i was wondering what was causeing this. well one day out of the blue she said she heard a man in her head. so with what her father has gone through and friends of mine i got more into the details. basicly in stress situation she gets a headache that might say hurt the person she is stress with or run away. one day she had a voice say steal something in the store.
i have not taken her to the doctor nor am i going to at this point.
i have also notice some chages in her such as lady issues except periods. i am wondering if puberity maybe a factor with hormaone changes bringing this on.
but for the time being i am working on with her to know the differance between a bad head ache(the one with voices) and the a normal head ache. and she know the differance.
i myself and and a friend of mine is teaching her to know the differance between right and wrong first off. and that these voices are not real. she is to never listen to them. and its about self control. i do explain how these voices control people life to make the do things that are not normal or law breaking etc. she tells me most of the time when she has them. i have found the heat in the summer brings them on alot she has them almost everyday in the heat. kids being mean at school. when i am being mean to her as she would say.
be as open with your daughter with this as much as you can. kids can handle the thruth to all way. dont hide anything. do as much research as you can from all life and culture in this world.
my friend who has had it since she was young believes it is a inner power to the mind. not sure what you believe in your sprital life. i myself do not believe in god. but others things currently researching with my brother who is studying people in the past.
anyways. i seem to not be able to contact you personlly i dont know how to on here. my last message was deleted. so if you know a way please let me know.
well. all the best im tried and i am just rambling on .
your friend tara

Old 01-19-2009, 08:58 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

MSD607 HB User

I agree with Strawberry Girl- if your church and its congregants are truly faithful to their religion, they will accept you.

I am Jewish, and I had a hard time talking about my illness with the other congregants at my synagogue. However, when I finally started talking with them, they were very accepting and tried to do all they could to help.

Strawberry Girl, how is your daughter doing on the abilify?

Old 01-19-2009, 10:34 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Strawberry Girl and MSD,

You both have valid points. If truth be told, I guess I'm not ready to talk about my illnesses yet. I'm not in denial and am certainly not ashamed, but I just don't know if now is the right time to mention them.

When I was inpatient last month, the hospital gave me a long list of bipolar support groups in my area. When I remember to, I plan to call several and join one of them. Perhaps I can get some ideas from other group members as to how they handle discussing their illness with family and friends.

Strawberry Girl, I'm sorry today was so difficult for your daughter. I'm glad you e-mailed the professor of psychiatry though to make him aware of what is going on. Perhaps there needs to be a med change. The good news is, however, that at least you know what symptoms your daughter is experiencing which can go a long way in helping her pdoc determine what other med would be best for her.

Sending you and your daughter plenty of hugs...

((((((Strawberry Girl))))))
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 01-19-2009 at 10:36 PM.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:22 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Strawberry Girl,

I forgot to answer your question about Lithium. My pdoc is going to put me on a small dose in addition to my Depakote Sprinkles, Fluoxetine, Risperidone and Trazodone if I continue to experience problems with rapid cycling, mania or depression. So far, so good though. I haven't been manic or depressed since I was hospitalized last month. I'm also on my 8th day without rapid cycling, so things are definitely looking good! After working with the **** of a pdoc I had (I'm sorry, but I had to say it out of pure frustration ), I'm *so* glad to be working with another pdoc who actually LISTENS and addresses my symptoms immediately. All I can say is...finally! The only other issues I'd like to address eventually are my auditory hallucinations, delusions and paranoia. When I'm on meds, they remain at a moderate level (with the exception of my paranoia which is always severe regardless of meds or no meds), but I'm not satisfied with that because I know Geodon worked extremely well for me to the point where it completely eliminated all of my symptoms. I believe I mentioned this before, but I'm going to wait until my rapid cycling has been stable for 1-2 months before making a med change.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 01-20-2009 at 12:32 AM.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:48 AM   #8
(female)

Strawberry Girl HB User
Re: Does my 9 year old daughter have schizophrenia?

Taralee,

It is very interesting that you say your daughter's voices have coincided with the onset of puberty, as my daughter was diagnosed with central precocious puberty at 7 - when her vioces began. One theory is that the onset of hormones could have triggered off the symptoms, which may otherwise have occured when she was older. Does your daughter have visual or tactile hallucinations too?

I do explain to my daughter that the voices are not real, but due to a chemical inbalance inside her brain. Even so, she is often convinced that she has 'voices' living inside her (often trying to harm her) because of course to her, these experiences are very real, particularly as she also has visual hallucinations. The worst symptoms are the tactile hallucinations (e.g when she feels things crawling on her or dogs breathing on her face) or the paranoia that 'they' or someone or going to harm her/steal her soul. During the summer the paranoia was so severe that her consultant with my full agreement decided to prescribe her Risperidone. He has always been very careful in prescribing for her and the dose was increased gradually increased under close monitoring. The medication was only prescribed almost 2 years after the voices began and because her symptoms were increasing. The Risperidione did improve her symptoms initially and we would have a week of stablility, but then symptoms would begin to recur and gradually increase. In response, the medication would be increased and once again there would begin to be an improvement, only for her to deteriorate again. EVenutually she experienced too many side effects e.g headaches, dizziness and vomiting and the meds. were stopped. They have now began her on a new treatment called Abilify, but this has disagreed with her from the onset, causing the aforementioned symptoms after the first dose was administered. I would prefer for her not to be medicated, but when she becomes distressed (which during an 'acute' phase can be several times within one day), I feel we have no option. My daughter is given lots of opportunities to discuss her symptoms with me and the purpose of the medication. She is also able to discuss her symptoms with her psychiatrists - even though she is embarrassed by anyone else knowing. Fortunately, she was also able to confide in a a teacher and the Deputy Head at her school. She did confide in a friend at school - who is very sensible and mature for her age, so the response was positive.

How does your daughter manage in school? Does she need any aditional support within the classroom when she is hearing voices or is she able to manage them?

I do not know if you are aware, but there is a form of epilepsy which presents with psychosis. My daughter's psych. referred her to a Neurologist to outrule an organic cause. This might be worth exploring, because her vioces are also accompanied by headaches. In My daughter's case and organic cause has been outruled.

I do hope you will be able to enable your daughter to manage her symptoms without medication, although I would not outrule consulting a doctor if the symptoms persist. No one can force you to accept treatment. I have never felt that my daughter's current psychiatrists has not listened to us - but we did have a negative experience with her previous mental health team. I was worried that the issues which arose with the previous team would be carried forward to this one, but we were fortunate that the team she is currently under completed their own independent assessment and sought to outrule an organic cause.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:26 AM   #9
(female)

Strawberry Girl HB User

MSD:

How are you? When do you return to college and how are you feeling about the transition?

My daughter has had some adverse effects from the Abilify e.g. headaches, dizziness, lightheadness, stomach pain and vomiting on a daily basis. We were given the medication in a liquid solution, so I wonder whether this has irritated her stomach? It seems even on a low dose, she is intorlerant of it. Yesterday she refused the meds., so I have e-mailed the Professor of Psychiatry she is under to see what he suggests. Her symptoms continue,although the meds. did seem to improve her mood.

I am pleased that you found support through the synagogue and the people you confided in were supportive towards you. For many of us, with or without illness the acceptance of others is important. As I have grown older, I have become less concerned about the opinions of others (although not completely so)- one positive of growing older! I encourage my children not to be dependent upon the approval of others or allow anyone to cloud their judement. I hope they will find their inner happiness without needing acceptance from others - easier said than done I know. They are also taught not to be judgemental of others regarding race, religion, disability ect. and to be considerate of others feelings. Sadly, not every child grows up with those values. If they did the world would be a more tolerant and accepting.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:56 AM   #10
(female)

Strawberry Girl HB User

Dreams:

I am pleased to hear that you have not experienced Rapid cycling for 8 days or the depression and manic episodes, since being at the hospital last month. I sincerely hope this phase continues and then you will be able to address the other aspects of your illness. Your illness sounds very complex and I am very pleased that you have found such a good psych., who not only listens, but involves you in your treatment. I apologise if you have told me this before, but do you also have therapy to help you manage your symptoms/pressures?

Oh dear, despite refusing the medication yesterday, my daughter has been vomiting again this morning. She woke me up early to tell me that she could hear a 'girl's voice' whispering her name in the bedroom. Thank you for the hugs sent our way. We also send hugs to you.

I was worried the the moderator may close the thread as I have asked the same question (although with typing errors!). If they do close this one on the basis I have repeated the same question, I will open a new thread on the schizophrenia board, but with a new question regarding my daughter. Of course my daughter has not been diagnosed with schizophrenia, but given her symptoms, this is the board where I feel, we can find the most support and insight in to her 'illness', whatever it may be. There are days when I do query whether my child does have the early onset of paranoid schizohphrenia, but on other occasions I think she does not, as she does not display all the symptoms. She is evidently experiencing psychosis and an organic cause has been out ruled. I wonder whether or not a person can be affixed with the diagnosis of simply 'psychosis' but without a specified illness being diagnosed.

We are going to the library today, as my youngest daughter has also been off school for 4 days, as it is closed due to a problem with the heating system.

Take care Dreams.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:51 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Strawberry Girl,

I just tried doing a search on my computer, but could find no information specifically about childhood psychosis per se.

However, I found a great deal of information about COS (childhood onset schizophrenia).

The next time you see your daughter's pdoc (or you may even want to send him an e-mail describing her symptoms), I would ask him about the possibility of her having this diagnosis.

I'm sorry to hear that your daughter still isn't feeling well. I wonder if she came down with the flu? Whatever it is, I hope she feels better soon!
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 01-20-2009 at 08:52 AM.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:02 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Strawberry Girl,

You asked if I receive therapy. Yes I do. Once a week. Due to my recent PTSD diagnosis, my therapist wanted me to start seeing him once a week instead of bi-weekly as I had over the past year and a half. He was also concerned about the frequency of my mania and rapid cycling over the past few months since both have been daily struggles for me.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 01-20-2009, 02:44 PM   #13
(female)

Strawberry Girl HB User

Dreams:

I am pleased you receive the weekly support of a therapist. You manage your illness with such courage and rationality, but it is also important for you to have strong and consistent support if you are to maintain your health and optimism. You have too much to contend with to consider doing this alone.

You are very kind to have researched my daughter's symptoms on the internet (thank you!). I have heard of Childhood onset schizophrenia. In fact, I have been in touch with a couple of people in the U.S at the NIMH, who have been doing research into the illness. We were invited over to participate in their research in Maryland, but given my current position I would be uable to afford our fares to the US. My daughter does not display all the symptoms of scizophrenia, although I suppose there are variations of the illness. I admit to feeling disillusioned. since despite the current severity of her symptoms, we are no closer to finding the answers.

My daughter continues to be unwell today. I am so tired, as she is not sleeping and I have had no contact with another adult for several days. It is on days like these my coping resources are low, but I am fully aware that it is far worse for her. My youngest daughter is also off school this week, as another mother I passed in the street has informed me that the school is now closed for the week. At least my 8 year old is happy !!

How are you today Dreams? It is a big day for America - the girls and I were watching the events unfold on TV earlier.

I do not know how long I will be able to access this pc. There is a meeting next week to discuss my dismissal - (I leave with a disciplinary on my record for being absent without permission, because of my daughter's illness!!). I will also lose my business line, which is my only point of contact, since my landline was disconnected several months ago as I was unable to pay the bill. I will continue to maintain contact via the internet cafe, as I would like to continue to hear how you, MSD, jfasi and Taralee are progressing. Hopefully I can offer you all some support on your journeys. I am amazed by everyone's courage, insight and ability to cope in such challenging circumstances.

I am going to sign off for tonight, as I am hoping I can persuade my daughter to go to sleep if I lie with her.

Just a thought regarding 'the book' . Have you thought of doing any research to see if there are any books published which detail people's personal accounts/journey's through mental illness?

Take care, Dreams.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:42 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

MSD607 HB User

I go back to college on Friday, but most of my friends already went back (my school starts later, but I'm not complaining lol). I had some similar problems to your daughter when I went on abilify- I actually had to go off the medication, because I couldn't handle the side effects. However, as you know, people react in different ways to different meds, so I'm sure it will get better for your daughter.

I'm nervous about going back to school, because I'm taking really hard classes, so hopefully the stress won't make me too sick. Keep me updated on your daughter!!!

Old 01-20-2009, 10:03 PM   #15
(female)

taralee0309 HB User

omg strawberry i think you just opened a new door for me. i have never heard of epilesy could be a cause . so afyer i read your post i just had to go look this up.
hayley is her name. she is a normal girl aside from social problems. which she has over come. she gets As and Bs in school and i just cant figure it out. cause with her sign and symptoms it was not like her dad or my friends. she gets a headache for 30 seconds and a voices eith during or right before or after not sure i must ask her.
so i have been reading on different seizures and i think i have pinpointed it could be absence seizures or atypical seizure.
wow im a state of shock not thinking or realizing this. i guess now i think she has to go to a doctor even if it rules it out. reading up on epilepsy its sound more like her .
she did have a alot of problems in grade 2. she couldnt be in class i was called to school all the time.
i just want to cry for you. i know what your going through but hayley is so mild compared to your daughter.
as far as i am aware she does not have visual or tactile.
wow im still shocked that i could totally have missed something like epilepsy
my BF dads has is and its just abot 30 seconds to a mintute he spaces out and has headache. never heard them talk about voices but that could be a hush hush thing he doesnt talk about.
well i hope all goes well with your daughter. im glad you found a good doctor who is helping you.
i am going to call the doctor in the morning and get this figured out.
thank you so much for open a window for my daughter. thank you!!

Closed Thread