It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2009, 11:53 PM   #1
(female)

Strawberry Girl HB User
Question Does My 9 year old daughter have schizophrenia (continued)?

Hi Everyone,

Please re-join me here to continue the discussion.

I hope you are all well. I am rushing to prepare for the school run, but I will post again later.

Thank you to all those who have participated in this thread. If there is anyone new who wants to join us, please do, but you will probably need to scroll down and read the original thread.

I am increasing my daughter's Ablify today and am hoping she will be able to tolerate it. Im one sense, I feel guilty that my 9 year old is on an anti-psychotic drug, but I feel I have no option, if she is to find peace.

To all my original posters - How are you today?

SG

The Following User Says Thank You to Strawberry Girl For This Useful Post:
Teena Keith (01-01-2012)
Old 01-29-2009, 01:29 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

jsfai HB User
Re: Does My 9 year old daughter have schizophrenia (continued)?

SG, you really do beat yourself up. Don't feel guilty about your daughters medication. You are making sure that she is getting access to all the resources available to her to help fight her condition, what a brilliant mum. There are too many who may be more likely to deny their child supposably to protect them but often deep down to protect themselves from that guilt...

I am well, went to my psych this arvo. It was a really constructive session and I think it had a lot to do that I actually took my journal with me and read through my last few entries before going in. I was empowered to discuss what I wanted and so it worked well. Feeling good and as thought this battle with the demons has been worth it...

J

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2009, 06:27 AM   #3
(female)

Strawberry Girl HB User

Jsfai,

I am pleased you were able to use the session with the psych. constructively. You are sounding positive and focused at the moment. Well done! You have fought to be where you are and as each battle is won you strive further towards 'victory'. You are a wonderful human being, intelligent, warm, compassionate and focused. You sound as if you are on the upward. If you enounter negative people along the route, do not waiver on the path (a little 'wobble' maybe, but do not fall!), ensure your focus remains and your goals are in sight. You are becoming closer to the winning post!

My daughter seems to be tolerating the increase in the meds.. You are correct J, I do not need to feel guilty, as she clearly needs the meds. If I am honest, it is the anxiety of how other parents may perceive me, knowing I have agreed for my 9 year old to be prescribed an anti-psychotic drug. If they saw/heard her during an acute pscyhotic episode they would understand why this has been neccessary. I was also afraid that to leave the psychosis untreated may result in a poorer prognosis. Logically, I know the opinions of others are unimportant, as I know my daughter does need the medicine. Her Psychs. have always been careful with regard to the meds., beginning on a very low dose and then gradually increasing. Today, so far, she seems calmer and last night her sleep was improved.

I am expecting my dismissal letter in the post very soon. I am trying not to focus on it - since I have also been given a disciplinary for being absent without permission. I had no choice - my child needed/needs me at home - but I am so worried about future employment prospects and finances.

We are having our monthly 'Family Meeting' on tomorrow. The children are asked to add items to the agenda, what they want to discuss - this can be a wide range of subjects. I also add my own items. It is a forum for them to raise any issues, things they would like to see happen or change. Of course we do communicate every day and problems are aired as and when, but this just offers them another opportunity to discuss their thoughts and ideas. I too enjoy these meetings as it ensures I am 100% focused.

Do you have any plans for the weekend? We are going to the Science Museum on Saturday and on Sunday my youngest has a pool party to go to, so I will find an activity to do with my eldest.

SG

Old 01-29-2009, 06:32 AM   #4
(female)

Strawberry Girl HB User

Dreams,

How are you today? I hope all is well?

SG

Old 01-29-2009, 06:51 AM   #5
(female)

Strawberry Girl HB User

MSD,

If you have decided your future goal is to become a paediatrician, it would be sensible for you to give up the engineering. It will relieve at least some of the pressure you are feeling and enable you to focus on the premed.

I wondered whether you have encountered any prejudice within the education system, since being diagnosed with schizophrenia? I am concerned my child's illness, whatever it may be, will mean she may face discrimination in the future within both an academic environment and with regard to future career prospects.

MSD, I know I have said this in earlier posts, but you are truely an inspiration, where my own daughter is concerned. You are forging ahead, following your hopes and dreams, despite your illness. You are intelligent, caring and have an acute awareness and understanding of your illness. When I begun to realise that my daughter was/is suffering from an illness, such as this, I thought I would see her change completely - this was obviously a misconception.

How was your day at school?

SG

Old 01-29-2009, 02:12 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

Hi everyone,

In case anyone is interested, I saw my psychiatrist today. My appointment went very, very well. He's delighted by my progress (his words) and said that my hospitalizations last month and a few days ago were the first step in my healing process since I've been unstable for the past year and a half. I gave him a tight bear hug as thanks for everything he has done for me. He is truly a gem.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Old 01-29-2009, 02:14 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

MSD607 HB User

Hi!

SG- I actually dropped engineering today, and I'm feeling so much better already. It feels like such a weight has been lifted from me. I have not experienced any prejudices in the education system; if anything, my professors are doing all they can do to help me be the best student I can be (they email me the notes prior to class, so I can go over the lesson plan before lectures, and they always seat me in the front of the class).

You shouldn't feel guilty about putting your daughter on anti-psychotics- you're doing what's best for her. I hope she is well.

Dreams- I hope you are doing well!

Old 01-29-2009, 02:16 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

MSD607 HB User

Dreams- I am very glad you are doing so well! I hope you will continue to do great...in fact I know you will continue to do great!

Old 01-29-2009, 02:47 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

jsfai HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams in neon View Post
Hi everyone,
gave him a tight bear hug as thanks for everything he has done for me. He is truly a gem.
Dreams, WHat a funny thing to be able to hug your psych....I get a firm hand shake at the end of my sessions - I call it the 'psychiatrists hug'. It is a very intense relationship isnt it?
I would love to hug my psych...but possibly for the wrong reasons - he's quite cute LOL LOL LOL - just joking!!

J

Old 01-29-2009, 03:27 PM   #10
(female)

Strawberry Girl HB User

Dreams,

I am pleased to hear your appointment today went so well. You are forging onwards and upwards!

You are sounding positive again. Well done!

SG

Old 01-29-2009, 03:33 PM   #11
(female)

Strawberry Girl HB User

MSD:

I am pleased you have dropped engineering today - hopefully this will continue to relieve the pressure on you. Does this mean you will have more free periods during the day?

Your professors sound very supportive. Dreams, are your professors as equally supportive?

SG

Old 01-29-2009, 03:34 PM   #12
(female)

Strawberry Girl HB User

jsai,

Lol......I love your idea of the 'psychiatrist's hug'. It is so true!

How are you today?

SG

Old 01-29-2009, 04:11 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

MSD607 HB User

SG- Yes, I will have more free time during the day, and A LOT less homework and studying to do. I am so happy about dropping engineering; now I can focus more on pre-med, which is what I really want. I hope you and your daughters are doing well.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:49 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsfai View Post
Dreams, WHat a funny thing to be able to hug your psych....I get a firm hand shake at the end of my sessions - I call it the 'psychiatrists hug'. It is a very intense relationship isnt it?
I would love to hug my psych...but possibly for the wrong reasons - he's quite cute LOL LOL LOL - just joking!!

J
LOL! I asked my psychiatrist after I told him how well I was doing if it would be inappropriate to give him a hug and he said "Definitely not. Given the situation, it is entirely appropriate and I would be more than happy to accept." Interestingly enough, he is the first doctor I've ever hugged in my life. LOL!
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 01-29-2009, 05:53 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry Girl View Post
MSD:

I am pleased you have dropped engineering today - hopefully this will continue to relieve the pressure on you. Does this mean you will have more free periods during the day?

Your professors sound very supportive. Dreams, are your professors as equally supportive?

SG
SG,

Count my lucky stars, all of them have with the exception of one who didn't think I needed to use captioning (a system where a captionist writes out verbatim what is said aloud in class and I read it on a Braille PDA for the blind). Needless to say, I filed a complaint against that professor and withdrew from his class. Al of the other professors I've had have been wonderful about accommodating my needs. I've never mentioned my bipolar before, but that's because my blindness and deafness need to be addressed first. However, when I return back to school in the fall, my psychiatrist and therapist both recommend that I request accommodations for my bipolar since I rapid cycle, exxperience racing thoughts, mania and depression -- and it would be beneficial for me to have extra time to complete assignments. I plan to discuss that further with my psychiatrist and therapist when the time comes.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 01-29-2009 at 05:54 PM.

Closed Thread