It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2009, 10:24 AM   #1
(female)

lesha3 HB User
boyfriend manic,need help please??

can someone please give me some advice? my live in boyfriend of five years has bipolar disorder.he does see a doc,but never takes any of the meds they give him.one time he went to jail,so it was only at that point to get out of jail,he went into the hospital,and took what they said.when he came home,the problem started.he was supposed to take seraquel, only once a day,he would take it all day to get stoned,then he couldnt even get off the chair he was so sedated.then a few meds he tried he said all his muscles locked up and he has rls,so he quit.he claims theres nothing wrong with him,he is just naturally hyper,but he does admit he cant get to sleep at night at all.he was given xanax before for sleep,he would take them all thru the day to get a "buzz", he even came home with his car wrecked and didnt even remember how it happened.the other day, they put him on remeron,30mg.he said it was too strong,it made him hungover the next day,but did work,so he breaks them in half now,but is already trying to say it gives him rls,and make exuses not to take it.he is also sypposed to take abilify,but didnt even get them filled.the last couple of days been hell around here.he turned into this severe manic freak.all he does is go on and on,and obsess about the same thing,he talks in ridules for hours,and hours.hes totally unaware that our four year old son is crying,or anyone needs something.he had me in tears yesterday,he got obsessed with the breaker box,and kept trying to pull me in there while he was doing things that i know are dangerous.hes been leaving water on when he walks away,knives laying around.we have a very hyperactive 4 year old son that needs all of my attention,and my boyfriend is in this horrible manic fraze.he has been up all night,and been talking on the phone for the last three hours strait.i just dont know what to do? i begged him to go to the hospital yesterday,or let a counceler come talk to him,but he wouldnt.the thing is,i dont know if he took a bunch of speed or something that brought this on,or if maybe the remeron,of if he just is in a full blown manic attack.im afraid to think how he will be when he comes down? we already have busted doors,and holes in the walls when he gets violent.there seems to be a patteren,every spring he gets manic,and sometimes ends up in jail over it.but he wont listen to me,and i dont know what i can do to "make him normal"i hate living this way, he used to be so wonderful at one time,but turned totally scycotic on me.even today he is obsessed with thinkinf=g our breaker box needs changed,and rolling nonstop about it,is there anything i can do to shut him up,and get him to realize hes acting crazy.i cant get a word in edgewise, hes forcefully controlling the conversation, if i say anything,it takes two or three attepts for him to realize i said something,then he just talks faster and louder,please help?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2009, 03:23 PM   #2
(female)

kathryn00 HB User
Re: boyfriend manic,need help please??

i think he has to decide he needs help before he will get help. sounds like he is far from that.

just be careful. protect the child. move out.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:52 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

ummmm...Seriously until he can get med compliant and get help I would move out and take my child with me, it's clear that neither of you are safe in that environment. And you really need to put your son before your boyfriend, you probably know that down deep, but you need to act on it. Like the previous poster said, you can't force him to get help, he has to do that on his own. Now if you called the police during one of his manic rages they most likely would take him to a psych ward on a 72 hour hold if he's as bad as you say, and that would force him to get help, but that's just my opinion and a far cry from a real solution to the problem.

kat

Old 03-02-2009, 12:35 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

I agree with the two previous posters. You can't help someone who doesn't want help. Your boyfriend will need to hit rock bottom before he starts to see the reality of his behavior and its' consequences.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Old 03-02-2009, 10:47 PM   #5
(female)

tigger5150 HB User

I have to also agree with the previous posters.... you need to protect yourself and your son!

Closed Thread