It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2009, 06:18 PM   #1
(female)

MissElaineous HB User
Im worried my friend might be Schizophrenic....

Okay, so today I was with my friend on a bus to a band competition, and I looked over and noticed that he had his hands over his ears, he was curled up on the seat, and he looked terrified, and like he was going to cry. I thought he was having a fit or something. I got really worried and asked if he was okay, but all he did was look at me like he was scared to death. After a few minutes, he was fine. But then he was looking around weirdly and talking-- well, more like whispering-- the same thing over and over, like he was talking to someone, but no one was there.

About 20 minutes later, he called my name and said, "Can I ask you something?" so I said yes, and he hesitated, saying that I'd just think he was crazy. But I insisted that he ask, so he did. And he asked me, "... Did you hear the voices?"
I answered with a no, and he nodded.

I got VERY worried after that, and when I got home, I explain to my mom what had happened, since she's a nurse, so I thought she might have an idea, and she told me that hearing voices like that is a sign of Schizophrenia, and its possible because it shows up in your late teens a lot. She told me he might be Schizophrenic, so I was wondering, is that a possibility? Or maybe something else is wrong? But I cant see another reason why he'd be hearing voices and being so afraid of them; enough to try to block them out by covering his ears.

I'm really worried about him, so any ideas or thoughts would really help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2009, 06:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User
Re: Im worried my friend might be Schizophrenic....

Hearing voices is definitly a sign of schizophrenia. There is a lot that needs to be showed to actually have schizophrenia. But it is a serious thing and should be dealt with. Ask him if he has ever seen anyone like a doctor or even a therapist about these voices.If he hasn't try to encourage him to see someone because schizophrenia will only get worse if not treated.

Meds: Clonazepam 4mg, Seroquel 200mg

Old 03-29-2009, 03:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User
Re: Im worried my friend might be Schizophrenic....

It is very likely that the person you mentioned may have schizophrenia. Meds like antipsychotics can help reduce or eliminate the voices he hears, so I would strongly recommend that he see a psychiatrist who can diagnose him appropriately.

If it turns out that he does have schizophrenia, your friend may want to join a support group for people who have this illness. I happen to be bipolar and am part of a support group for people who have this disorder.

I'm also in a support group for people who have schizophrenia since I have a schizophrenic form of bipolar.

I've found both of these groups to be of tremendous help since they allow me to share my experiences with others and not feel so alone.

If your friend is nervous about going to a support group, perhaps you could attend one together?

I've been hearing voices myself since 1991 and exhibited many of the same symptoms when I started hearing them. I've been on antipsychotics and mood stabilizers since then and am doing very well.

I'm really glad he opened up to you the way he did and asked if you were hearing the same voices he was. There's alot of stigma associated with hearing voices and because of that, many people don't admit to hearing them.

He'll feel so much better once he's evaluated, knows what is causing his voices and can take the proper meds for them.

I'm happy that you're continuing to be his friend despite the fact that he hears voices. I've lost friends in the past who didn't understand what I was going through when I had auditory hallucinations, so I commend you for being such a great friend. Good for you!
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-29-2009 at 03:57 AM.

Closed Thread