It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2009, 04:23 AM   #1
(female)

mum100 HB User
need help for my 9 year old little boy

My son has just been diagnosed with early onset schizophrenia, he is 9 years old, he has heard voices since he was 4 years old, no one would help us , profesionals said he had an over active imagination, anyway he has now been given a diagnosis and has been put on respiridone,,excuse spelling, he is also on melatonine, he has been on the meds for 3 weeks now, all was going ok, the voices stopped, but he still had the fear feelings, that something or someone was out to get him and his family, he still sees black shadows too, anyway apart from that he was doing well, until yesterday, we had a family BBQ, just a few members of the family like his cousins etc, he was not here 5 mins when he put socks over his ears and was shaking from head to toe, crying and hitting his head with his hands saying " i want to go home , please take me home " the thing is he was home. in the end i had to get my neice to take him to her house to calm him down, which worked and he stayed there the night, what i want to know is... was this a psychotic episode ?? or a panic attack ? do i need to mention this to the gp ? what should i do if this happens again. please someone help me to help my little man, it was just heart breaking seeing him suffering like that.

Thanks Lorraine x

Old 04-04-2009, 08:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User
Re: need help for my 9 year old little boy

It pains me when I read about children who hear voices or see things that aren't there. I've been hearing voices since 1991, so I know exactly what your son is going through.

It sounds like he was having a psychotic episode based on the way he reacted.

I would definitely tell his GP.

I have a question. Is your son seeing a pediatric psychiatrist? If not, I would suggest that you set up an appointment with one since GPs generally don't have the training or experience necessary to treat psychiatric disorders like schizophrenia.

By the way, I'm on Risperdal/Risperidone myself. I was recently put on this med for my voices and so far, it's working very well for me. If you have any specific questions about this med, I would be more than happy to answer them.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Last edited by dreams in neon; 04-04-2009 at 08:11 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2009, 09:32 AM   #3
(female)

mum100 HB User

Thank you so much for your reply, my son is seen at Cahms...or chams, that is where he was diagnosed. my question is hunny, if this happens again, do i call someone ?? or do i just do what i did last night and do what ever it takes to settle him ? just not sure what to do when this happens again.

Thanks for your reply and i hope the respidone works well for you, and you can be free from the voices xxxxx

Old 04-04-2009, 09:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

The next time your son hears voices, you may want to distract him by allowing him to listen to his favorite music or to watch a favorite TV program.

It would also be a good idea to talk to him gently during an episode and remind him that he is safe and that everything is okay.

Be sure to tell him never to respond to his voices since that will only make them stronger.

In the 18 years I've seen pdocs for auditory hallucinations, all of them have told me to ignore my voices so that they don't have any power.

What kind of voices does he hear? What do they say?

Another idea that came to me is to ask your son to draw a picture of what his voices are like.

For example, red could mean angry while blue could mean scary.

Asking him to draw pictures about the way his voices sound will help give you a better idea of what he hears.

You might also want to have a conversation with him about how he feels about his voices and explain that they aren't real.

I would also suggest talking to his pdoc at CHAMS and telling him or her that his voices have returned. He may need his meds to be tweaked or changed. I know in my case I can't take any dose less than 6mg/day of Risperdal because it doesn't do anything to help my voices.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 04-04-2009 at 09:42 AM.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:52 AM   #5
(female)

mum100 HB User

the voices at the moment tell him that they will get him or his family, and that my son is not invincable.. excuse spelling. they dont tell him to do anything at the mo to himself or others, the feelings he has are more scarey to him than the actual voices from what he has told me, he says he is scared all the time, and he feels ppl are watching him and that they will get him, i do tell him he is safe and hold him, but last night, he would not watch tv or listen to music, he just kept shaking asking to go home, over and over. his eyes were wide like a rabbits in headlights.

I have noticed that since the meds, he does tend to stare into space for a few secounds, then twitch and he comes over ever 10 mins or so wanting a big hug, he also does not like crowds or ppl going up to him, as he panics.

He talks about nothing being able to kill him. BUT for the last 3 years he has been saying he is not a real boy, he is infact a ghost, i have told him that he is a real boy and not a ghost , he tells kids in the playground that he is not a real boy, i find this more worrying as he really believes it, and i dont know where this idea has come from, or where it stemmed from. Before i was given his diagnosis i thought he would be diagnosed with autism, so this diagnosis was a huge shock to me, i have not told my son what he has wrong with him, as i dont want him knowing yet as he is very much matter of fact about things, and will go into school and say oh i have schizophrenia and it worries me because kids are nasty and they will take the pee out of him, or simply tell their parents and they will call my son a nutter etc and be told to stay away from him, i know this is MY fear, but i really do want to protect him. Do you think i am doing the right thing by not telling him ?

Thanks Again Lorraine x

Old 04-04-2009, 10:02 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

You could explain to your son that he has an "illness" that causes him to hear voices and to be afraid. You don't have to mention schizophrenia until he is older -- perhaps in his teens when he can better understand what schizophrenia is.

You may want to look for children's books about schizophrenia and ask him to read them. Explain that the characters in each book hear voices like he does. Perhaps if he reads these kinds of stories, he won't feel so scared and certainly won't feel alone.

I would also ask his pdoc at CHAMS if there is a support group for children that he could join. I know these kinds of groups exist. It may help him to express how he feels about his voices and fears as well as to know he isn't the only one experiencing them.

It sounds to me as if your son is experiencing delusions when he says he is not a real boy but a ghost. He may feel that way because when he hears voices things around him don't seem real. I know this is what happens to me when I hear voices. It's as if the whole world disappears and the only thing I am left with are my voices.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 04-04-2009, 10:41 AM   #7
(female)

mum100 HB User

I have tried finding books for kids, but have been unable too find any. I think your right on the delusions, and you have a great way of describeing everything

I will tell him that he has an illness that makes him hear voices, but i dont think i will tell him just yet, he knows he is different but because he is so sensitive i feel its better left until we have the meds stabilized first.

I have decided to keep a diary of how he is from day to day, and also do what you sugested in him drawing etc. as i fell this will all help when we next go to the hospital.

Thank you so very much xx

Old 04-04-2009, 11:03 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Writing a journal is a wonderful idea since this will help you and your son's pdoc see how his voices are progressing and how well his meds are working.

I respect your choice not to tell your son about his illness. I agree that it's a good idea to wait until he becomes stable first since telling him now may only confuse and scare him further.

I'll do an Internet search and see if I can find any children's books on schizophrenia. I'm sure there are some out there, but I'll take a look and post what I find here.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 04-11-2009, 06:50 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dietary supplements do not help schizophrenia. The best treatment protocol for schizophrenia are a combination of meds and therapy.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by moderator2; 04-14-2009 at 05:42 PM. Reason: to remove your quote of a spam post that has been deleted - please Report Bad Posts instead of replying to them

Old 04-14-2009, 05:36 AM   #10
(female)

Avocado HB User

Hi
I used to have a thread on this site as a user called Strawberry Girl, but lost my registration when my home pc was disonnected and have just re-registered on this site. I asked the question 'Does my 9 year old daughter have schizophrenia?' if you carry out a search, you will find the details of my daughter's symptoms , which include visual, auditory and tactile hallucinations. She also has delusions and often thinks people or things are going to harm/kill her. She has expereinced symptoms since the age of 7 and they have become progressively worse. She has been under a psychiatrist but we do not have a diagnosis - except psychosis. We are waiting for a referral to Great Ormond Street hospital (we live in London). I would be very interested to hear more about your son's expereinces to see if they are similat to my daughter, who had just turned 10. Sadly I wil not be online again until Friday - hoping to be re-connected at home soon. My daughter had not been in school for almost a year and I would be interested to hear whether your son's school provides any addtional support for him in school.

All the best,
Avocado

Hi Dreams and MSD,
Hope you are both doing ok. we will catch up soon.

Strawberry now know as Avocado!

Old 04-14-2009, 06:32 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Avocado,

It's good to hear from you!

I'm now seeing a different pdoc who specializes in atypical bipolar and am on a new med regimen. It's working wonderfully well. I was recently put on a new antipsychotic (Risperdal) and have not heard any voices since. I haven't been rapid cycling, manic, hypomanic or depressed either. I'm doing very, very well and have my pdoc to thank for that.

Please feel free to respond to me here to let me know how your daughter is doing or send me a PM anytime! I hope this post finds both of you well!

By the way, I haven't seen MSD on the board since you stopped posting. Hopefully she's okay.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 04-14-2009 at 06:39 AM.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:57 PM   #12
(female)

mum100 HB User

Hi, your daughter sounds very very similar to my little boy, we have been very lucky in that it has been diagnosed and is being treated, my sons biggest problem is crowds and noises, for instance we had a family BBQ the other week, and he was frightend that he was going to be harmed, and the voices came back, he was crawling on the floor with socks over his ears, and hitting his head saying please leave me alone, and make it stop. this was heart breaking for myself and my family.

We cant go into a supermarket with him, as he is like a scared rabbit, always looking around and becomes very aggitated to say the least. He keeps coming up for cuddles which is becoming more and more each day, for reasurence. at school he gets no support, we have an appointment with PCHAMS, excuse spelling on that, we go on the 26th of this month, to see what additional support he needs, when i drop him of at the school gates, he runs and hides behind a huge tree and will stay there until the bell goes, i am not too sure why he does this, he does not give eye contact etc.

Since the meds the voices have eased up, but his fears about being harmed have increased he is very shaky and scared most of the time now. I hope you get some answers for your little girl soon.

My son also never sleeps in his bed, he always has to sleep on the floor as he thinks the " things " wont see him. but he has always been like this since the age of 4. at that time i thought he would grow out of it, which is not the case. he is very emotional also. the slightest thing sets him off.

Wont rant on no more..lol.

Good luck with your hospital appointment xxx

Last edited by moderator2; 04-15-2009 at 06:31 PM. Reason: please do not post your email address in the public forums - instead, use the private messaging system

Old 04-18-2009, 09:50 AM   #13
(female)

Avocado HB User

Hi
It seems to me that there is very little support available for children with mental illness in the UK - both within the mental health system and Education. I am so sorry you and your son are experiencing this.

Has your son been provided with therapy to help him manage this illness? My daughter was provided with therapy initially as part of her assessment - which, I belive was to see whether her symptoms were due to inept parenting or environmental factors. They found out this was not the case and then withdrew the theraputic input - leaving her with occasional meetings with her psychiatrist, who has yet to diagnose - although schizophrenia was mentioned. She has also been seen by a neurological consutant who has outruled a physical cause.
Are your son's voices worse at night? My daughter has a very bad time at night - she is terrified I will go to sleep before her and this is when they will come and get her. She often thinks people will harm/kidnap her and has even accused her sister of being an alien. Mostly her voices focus on her being harmed in some way. Does your son have visual hallucinations too? My daughter sees things such as spiders, rats, people holding knives, blood coming down people's faces or the walls. She also sees things changing colours - it is all very hard to understand as a mother. She also completes various and bizarre routines which she says they tell her to do - or they will push a lever in her brain, which will take away all her energy and she will die.

Please stay in contact, as i hope we will be able to support one another. Were you relieved to have a diagnosis and did you suspect schizophhrenia before he was diagnosed?

Take care and we will speak further soon.

X

Old 04-20-2009, 02:15 AM   #14
(female)

Avocado HB User

Mum100

How are you and your little boy? I do hope the weekend was not to distressing for you both.

There was a couple of further questions I wanted to ask you. has your son ever gone through phases when his illness is worse than other times or has it always been consistant. My daughter goes through phases when she can manage the voices and other times when she is distressed by them and the paranoia is more severe.

Does your son ever have phases where he becomes very short tempered? My daughter at times has very explosive episodes over very minor things. She also tells me that she suddenly feels sad for no obvious reason.

Is your son afraid to go to sleep ( as my daughter is)?

Sorry to bombard you with so many questions.

Take care

Avocado

Closed Thread