It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2009, 05:42 AM   #1
(female)

Avocado HB User
Does my 9 year old daughter have schizophrenia?

Hi
Some of you may recall I had a thread running before under the name of strawberry Girl. Unfortunately I lost my job and thus my pc, so am now reliant on the internet cafe. Although hoping to reconnect at home soon. Since I was last online, my daughter has been referred to GReat Ormond Street Hosptial in London, where we live - but there is still uncertainty over funding. My daughter continues to hear voices - only last Saturday she was convinced the devil was in the house!

I cannot write much now as I am due to leave the cafe soon, but will be online on Friday, so hope to catch up then.

MSD and Dreams, please come over and update me on how you both are.

Take care everyone

Old 04-14-2009, 11:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User
Re: Does my 9 year old daughter have schizophrenia?

Avocado,

It's good to hear from you!

I'm now seeing a different pdoc who specializes in atypical bipolar and am on a new med regimen. It's working wonderfully well. I was recently put on a new antipsychotic (Risperdal) and have not heard any voices since. I haven't been rapid cycling, manic, hypomanic or depressed either. I'm doing very, very well and have my pdoc to thank for that.

By the way, I haven't seen MSD on the board since you stopped posting. Hopefully she's okay.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Last edited by dreams in neon; 04-14-2009 at 11:40 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2009, 07:01 AM   #3
(female)

Avocado HB User

Hi dreams
It was nice to hear from you. I am pleased all is going well for you. When/how did you change your pdoc?
We are stil here and no further forward. Iam completely disillusioned with the mental health system in the UK.
I hope MSD is ok? MSD if you are out there please come and say hello.

Also if there is anyone out there who has a child who is exhibiting symptoms of psychosis and is delusional, or if you expereinced such symptoms in childhood, I would be very interested in hearing from you.

Thanks

Avocado

Old 04-15-2009, 07:09 AM   #4
(female)

Avocado HB User

Good to hear from you Dreams. I am glad you are doing well. What made you change your pdoc? Obvously it was the right decision to do so! It sounds as if you have reached a turning point?
We are no further forward and quite frankly I am Completely disillusioned with the mental health system in the uk!
MSD,if you are reading please come and let us know how you are.

TAke care

Old 04-15-2009, 07:28 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocado View Post
Good to hear from you Dreams. I am glad you are doing well. What made you change your pdoc? Obvously it was the right decision to do so! It sounds as if you have reached a turning point?
We are no further forward and quite frankly I am Completely disillusioned with the mental health system in the uk!
MSD,if you are reading please come and let us know how you are.

TAke care
I saw a new pdoc in December when I was still trying to decide which doctor I wanted to have. I really liked him, but I wanted to see 2-3 pdocs first before making a final decision.

I decided to see a different pdoc in January and have been seeing him ever since. The reason why I chose him is because his office is located closer to my home. (Since I can't drive, I take taxis and round trip fares can be expensive.) After 18 years of being misdiagnosed, he accurately diagnosed me with atypical bipolar 1 with ultradian rapid cycling. He also specializes in atypical bipolar which benefits me since he knows what kind of treatments are effective. He's a wonderful pdoc who takes my treatment seriously and allows me to be an active participant. Thanks to him, I'm enjoying some stability for the first time in 1.5 years.

I'm sorry your daughter is continuing to hear voices. Is she on new meds at this time? If so, what are they and how much does she take?
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 04-15-2009 at 07:34 AM.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:26 AM   #6
(female)

Avocado HB User

I hope you stablility continues. I am really glad to hear you are doing well.

My daughter is not on meds at the moment. We are waiting for referral to Great Ormond Street Hosptial.
Take care and hope to be online at home soon.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:38 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocado View Post
I hope you stablility continues. I am really glad to hear you are doing well.

My daughter is not on meds at the moment. We are waiting for referral to Great Ormond Street Hosptial.
Take care and hope to be online at home soon.
Is there a way that your daughter's pdoc could give her an antipsychotic until the referral is made? It may not help completely, but it may give her some relief.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 04-15-2009, 08:54 AM   #8
(female)

Avocado HB User

They anti psychotics work for a while -but then they need to be increased to a level where she cannot toelrate them. I am going off line soon but hope to be on Friday.
Take care

Old 05-09-2009, 06:46 AM   #9
(female)

Avocado HB User

Hi
How are you all?

Dreams, are the meds still helping you remaing free of your voices. This is just a quick catch up at the internet cafe, as I am still not reconnected.
My daughter is being admitted as an in patient to a children's psychiatric ward at Great ormond Street Hosptial next week. I am hoping we will finally have some answers.

Hoping all is well with everyone.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:07 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Avacado,

I'm glad your daughter will be receiving IP treatment and I hope that it brings you closer to reaching a final diagnosis.

I've been doing very well in terms of not hearing voices.

The only exception was 2 days ago. I've been in a mixed episode due to my bipolar (which means that I feel manic, depressed and tired at the same time) for the past week and a half.

This was caused by some health problems I've been having lately (allergies, a bad headache I had for 3 days that wasn't a migraine but wasn't mild enough to be treated by an OTC and tinnitus).

On Wednesday I was so emotionally wound up due to my mixed state that I started hearing voices that were laughing at me and telling me how weak I was.

Mixed states are very difficult to cope with emotionally because you feel several different emotions at the same time. The best way I can describe it is that on the one hand, I felt like running a marathon, but on the other, I felt like sleeping all day.

I called my pdoc who increased my Klonopin (which I take to control my rapid cycling) from 2-3x/day to 4x/day and said this should help reduce my mania.

I should also add that I haven't slept in 4 days which isn't uncommon when someone is manic.

He also said the increased dosage should help me sleep. He was right on both counts.

I've started to come down from my mania and now feel hypomanic (mild mania) and was able to sleep well for the past 3 nights. I slept more than I wanted to (10pm-6:15am, 10pm-9:30am 10pm-11:30am) but I guess that's what my body needed given how much sleep I've been missing.

I've been told that when you have a manic, depressive or mixed episode, it takes a toll on your body due to the increased energy and/or lethargy you feel which results in exhaustion.

My pdoc would like me to call him on Monday to let him know how I'm doing.

So far, the increase in Klonopin is working well in calming my mania and encouraging sleep, so I'm very happy about that.

I'm sure my moods will start to level out any day now.

By the way, my therapist and pdoc were very pleased at my moods throughout the month of April.

My pdoc said my moods are "stabilizing nicely" and my therapist said that after looking at my mood chart, I was only depressed for 3 days out of the month while the remainder of the month I felt level. He said that was very, very good.

Needless to say, I was pleased to hear that and it shows I'm on a good regimen which is working wonders for me.

I forgot to mention that my rapid cycling is now under control as well. I used to cycle several times/hour and sometimes every minute, but ever since my pdoc added Klonopin (for rapid cycling and mania), I haven't even cycled once/day. That's exciting news because my pdoc's treatment protocol was to reduce my cycling to twice/day.

All in all, I can't complain and owe so much to my wonderful pdoc!

My apologies for the long post. I didn't mean to write a dissertation. LOL.

Please keep me updated as to how your daughter is doing.

In the meantime, I will keep my fingers crossed that her treatment is a success!
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 05-09-2009 at 07:15 AM.

Closed Thread