It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2010, 02:53 AM   #1
(male)

Gquiroz HB User
Is it OCD or Bipolar?

My wife cant think straight she constantly battles with recurring thoughts of terror, she’s obsessed with cleanliness, she is always thinking negative like something bad is going to happen to her or to a loved one, she says she cant get the word Devil out of her mind of course this bothers her, she can somewhat control this during the day but at night right before going to bed this really kicks in. She was diagnosed with OCD by one doctor then another said she was bipolar, she was taking 40mg of Lexapro then switched to 60mg FLUOXETINE . Nothing seems to work don’t know what to do

Last edited by Administrator; 11-26-2010 at 09:31 PM.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User
Re: Is it OCD or Bipolar?

I'm no doctor, but nothing you listed says "bipolar" to me and
Prozac (fluoxetine) isn't usually used to treat bipolar (it can trigger a manic episode). It's more commonly used to treat depression, panic attacks and OCD. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/obsessive-compulsive-disorder-ocd/index.shtml

It can take up to four to five weeks for Prozac to kick in, so if she just started, it may take awhile before she's feeling better.

Symptoms like these can sometimes happen as a side effect of corticosteroid medications - prednisone, inhalers, rx nasal sprays - it's called steroid psychosis.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2010, 09:01 PM   #3
(male)

Gquiroz HB User

I agree, I donít know how the bipolar diagnosis came about maybe because she said the symptoms seem to get worse during the night, she has an appointment wit her Doc. Next week and I will be there with her. I need to see what is being said everything Iíve read on or done my own research does not point to Bipolar, like you said Prozac is not for that anyway she doesnít respond good to it either, she has been on it for 5 months and she hates it, she says its helped a little with the OCD, but the other symptoms seem to get worse. She says she felt better during the day when she was on 40mg of Lexapro thatís high for lexapro but she might have to back to it, nights were still tough but at least during the day she had some piece of mind, I canít find anything that explains why this gets overwhelming during the night when she tries to go to sleep.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

What kind of doctor is she seeing? I hope it's a psychiatrist and not a GP. It sounds like she could be experiencing schizoeffective disorder. I agree with the other poster that she shouldn't be on an antidepressant med if they think she's bipolar (which I don't think she is). GP's are way over their heads when prescribing these meds and it should be limited to psychiatrists.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:46 PM   #5
(female)

ponyrunswild HB User

If I know what I have, I definitely think that your wife has OCD. I'm not a doctor (although I am studying to become a nurse, but that's irrelevant), but I know about what I live with. It's true, people without this disorder do not understand what it feels like. Even people with OCD may have completely different symptoms and struggles.
To give you a bit of insight, my mind is constantly going, thinking, working. Sometimes, I do get bad thoughts, but I know that they are not "my" thoughts. You just learn this as you go on; I don't want any of those thoughts, so I've learned to brush them off. It's hard, but you will learn.
The other things that you describe her doing sound like common signs of OCD- recurring, unwanted thoughts that may lead to panic attacks. Visit another doctor. Living with this, I have way too much to say than I am possibly able to write in a single post. However, my suggestions.
1. Visit another doctor; sometimes, doctors give out antidepressants, etc. like candy. Get a referral to a psychologist, one that your wife feels that she might be able to become comfortable with. Avoid the social stigma, sometimes people just need help. It may not seem like it's working at first at all, but give it time, just as you should the medications.
2. Support her. Exercise together. There are thousands of things to do in order to make life a little easier each day. Hope I helped! I definitely realize the struggle of this disorder, I definitely do.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:57 PM   #6
(female)

angellface HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gquiroz View Post
My wife cant think straight she constantly battles with recurring thoughts of terror, she’s obsessed with cleanliness, she is always thinking negative like something bad is going to happen to her or to a loved one, she says she cant get the word Devil out of her mind of course this bothers her, she can somewhat control this during the day but at night right before going to bed this really kicks in. She was diagnosed with OCD by one doctor then another said she was bipolar, she was taking 40mg of Lexapro then switched to 60mg FLUOXETINE . Nothing seems to work don’t know what to do
First of all, I honor bith your pains. It is not uncommon for someone to have boh OCD and BiPolar. I have both and it has taken years before I was placed on the medicines which helped me: a very unusual combination as they are both major anti-depressants and I share them with you just as a piece of information. I am in no way suggesting your wife should be taking these. I am on 100 mg. fluvoxitine and 100 mg of setraline generics for brand names which work just as well as the brand names did before the generics became available. I also work with my mind to control the thoughts such as forcing myself to not count stairs as I climb them and I really have that one under control. Occassionally it will come back and I reason with myself that this is dumb and I just make myself stop. I also use creative imagry and put my mind in anothe place I enjoy being like on a raft in a river on a summer day. It's just a personal choice. The brain is only an organ and it can have disorders also.

I hope this gives you a piece of understanding and encouragement to be
patient while the doctors find whatever will work best with her disorder.

Blessings and take peace.

Last edited by moderator2; 01-11-2011 at 07:59 AM. Reason: please do not post commercial websites

Closed Thread