It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2011, 03:56 PM   #1
(male)

Perturbed89 HB User
Parents won't control my Bipolar sister - will she get worse?

She's been diagnosed with Bipolar disorder and has been hospitalized for a month or so twice. Living with her is unbearable. She is unreasonable and truly a terror to be around. She is violent and unpredictable. She routinely berates my parents (calls my dad, who had suffered a severe stroke, a worthless retard [his speech was affected] and she wishes he died instead) and is extremely hostile to me about everything. I think she's jealous that I'm making something of myself (I'm going to law school next year) while she's probably going to be a drain on society for the rest of her life. Also, she decided to stop taking her medication recently and is noticeably more horrible to be around.

An example of her behavior is that just now (minutes before I am posting this) I was watching TV with my mother downstairs when my sister came up and shut off the TV and walked away. Literally no reason at all -

I went up to my room to write this and I am livid. This is the kind of thing she does on a regular basis. I could write about twenty similar stories from this past year alone.

Anyway, the worst part is that my parents do nothing. Absolutely nothing. They hope that she will get better on her own, and that she will "grow out of it." The thing is, they reinforce her insane behavior by allowing it to go on

he said he would under no circumstances make her leave. Exasperated, I've asked my dad whether he could at least punish her, but he says punishments don't work on her, whatever that means. They give her an allowance, so I suggested he dock her allowance when she acts like a monster, but my dad refused the idea.

I hope this doesn't come off as an incoherent rant -

I threw a lot of information in, so I'll just sum up what I'm hoping for here: I would like information on whether acquiescing to insane, irrational behavior will likely result in bettering or worsening of her behavior. My parents think it will make it better, but I hypothesize it will make it worse. I am not an expert in mental illness (in fact, I know nothing about it), so I was hoping someone could let me know. It would really mean a lot to me.

Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2011, 10:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

gardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB User
Re: Parents won't control my Bipolar sister - will she get worse?

she needs to be taking meds.Non compliance with taking meds is very very common with bipolar.. Your parents need to educate themselves on bipolar..Untill they get with the program and insist if she is living under their roof she must take her meds she will continue to be this way.

I know its very hard on you and them.She can not control herself its not her fault she is bipolar and many with bipolar are mean and selfish and need to get on the right meds to help themselves. Bipolar does not go away or get better ..It can be kept in control with the proper meds and seeing a counciler weekly helps. How old is you sister?

The Following User Says Thank You to gardenandcats For This Useful Post:
Perturbed89 (01-08-2011)
Old 01-07-2011, 12:08 AM   #3
(male)

Perturbed89 HB User

She's 22. They refuse to force her to take meds, and apparently can't even get her to go see a doctor because she doesn't want to.

And I agree with what you're saying, but they're unwilling to make the ultimatum that she must take medication or leave. I'd like them to, but who knows how my sister would react to that...

Old 01-12-2011, 09:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

you need to remove yourself from this unhealthy situation that is out of your control. your sister has a mental illness and your parents are not helping matters. if they want to continue to live like victims, that's their CHOICE. Please make other choices for yourself.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:20 PM   #5
(male)

jmmec HB User

I'm so sorry for you.

People that are bipolar can destroy families - my grandmother was at the extreme end of bipolar and went through absolutely crazy times, and exceptionally depressed times. Everyone tried to care for her, but in the end, it destroyed many family relationships, and this went on for almost 20 years. In her case, it got much, much worse as she grew older, and she was getting top-notch medical care!

I agree with others that you need to remove yourself from the situation. Your parents are not helping matters, and your sister will only get worse without medical attention.

Closed Thread