It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2011, 10:45 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User
Can you put a mental hygiene warrant on a kid that is not yours?

Can you put a mental heigine warrant on a kid that is not yours? He's 18, but I am his aunt, and he's bipolar, he's moved in on my mom though she told him not to, won't work to take care of his newborn baby, from his 16 yr old girlfriend, doesn't want to support them, just let anyone else do it, and that works for him. And now he's back to cussing my mom out and threatening to hurt her if she doesn't do this or that. He also vandilized her cellar, cuts a big hole in the bottom cellar for a window, Yeah what the?? and cracks it all the way across. I don't know if he was trying to fix himself up a spot to grow pot or what he was up to. He wants to move in the upper part. I sware I hope the thing just falls in. I do not want to sit back and watch him treat her this way again. I have no influence over my mother whatsover, she is 65 yrs old, sick, trying to work to take care of my sister's oldest kids cause she is too much of a RETARD to do it herself. She won't listen to me. She gets so abused, puts up with anything they want to throw her way, and she gets so depressed, but she will not do one single little thing to help herself. What do you do with someone like that? She even stopped going to church, and she has went to church all my life 40 years of, and stopped because my nephew and his girlfriend are living there and aren't married. I need advice on how to help her. I don't know what to do. I did email my nephew and tell him I was going to sock a m/h warrant on him, if he didn't stop the nonsense. I'm sure he's at the point that he hates me now, cause we had it out over something else he was doing to one of my family members, but I can't say I even care.

Last edited by neveragain444; 03-02-2011 at 10:47 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2011, 06:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User
Re: Can you put a mental hygiene warrant on a kid that is not yours?

My mom is coming over for dinner friday. My plan is to try and talk some sense into her and help her resolve her situation. If she totally refuses to do anything at all, again, I think I am just going to have to wipe my hands of it. I can't be getting all stressed out with someone, that will not do anything to make their life any better. Even if it is my mom.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:09 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Your best bet is to contact an elder attorney and ask his advise based on your local laws and how they apply to your mother.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:45 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well I would have called the court house for the mental hygeine place if needed, and they would have told me if I could do it or not, but I don't have to. I talked to his girlfriend's mother, and asked her to take her daughter home if meaning she had to call the police and do so, and she didn't want my nephew there, so I'm like you can call the police and have him removed if he tries going over there, well she went and got them all last night and took them back home with her. Problem solved for now. However, my mom is still the same person, she will let anyone do her any old way they want, and she needs to learn how to stick up for herself, and I still don't know what to do to help her. I am going to have a good talk with her tomorrow, but I am pretty sure it will not do any good. Should I talk with her doctor and tell her mom needs therapy? You really can't make someone do that if they don't want to, can you? I know she needs it though.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:14 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

My nephew went and bought a gun before he left my moms, he told his brother that he was going to bring it out to my house and scare me with it, shoot it but not actually shoot me. I have to say I am very disturbed, offended by this.

When I went to court with my mom (and she only put the mental hygeine on him because I kept insisting she do something), but he had pulled a knife on her and threatened to kill her. Well the court said if he went to Riverpark, that he would never be allowed to own or possess a gun, and that he would never be allowed to join the military. My mom says his record was swiped clean when he turned 18, but then why did the court say that?

Should I call the police about this and get some advice? The kid is bipolar, all it takes is making him mad, and that doesn't take much, a disagreement, asking him to help with something, whatever, and he's outraged. He immediately has thoughts in his head of killing someone when he's mad at them. I would not even second guess whether he'd actually shoot me or not, as mad as he is, I would say yes he would. But I have protection here incase it is ever needed and he will be told under no circumstances to not ever take a step on my property.

Last edited by neveragain444; 03-05-2011 at 02:17 AM.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:04 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I went with a restraining order, I am not trying to lock this kid up or anything, but I want the gun, he's not supposed to have anyways, removed from his possession. What happens now, does the police go after the gun? How long will it take. Right now, I know he's taken it to my mom's and left it this morning planning on getting rid of it tonight, but I turned in on the RO that it was at his residence. Should I call the police and tell them where it is or let them find out when they go look in his residency for other firearms? The gun store is claiming they do not have record of him getting this gun. This is a crooked gun store, lets put it that way. If there is record on file, it would of been sent to the state or such, right? Will the police be able to retrieve the information? What if the gun store was crooked and didn't file such papers, then what? I'm just not sure what to do. I have family members mad at me over this. Yeah, I get threatened, and they get mad at me for actually doing something. They like to sit back and let him act anyway he wants. My mom lets him treat her like a dog. And I am sick and tired of it.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:30 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

They won't do anything but serve him with the RO. That's it...other than maybe have a talk with him. They won't look for the gun and it isn't against the law for it to be at your mother's. So if he isn't caught in possession of it there is nothing to do about it. I would go get it and turn it over to the police if it were me.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:40 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

They will have to get rid of all guns in the home, or either will be breaking the law? He will lose his license to the gun he has. And this will go on his permanent record so if he ever tries to obtain another, he might not be able to. Right?

Old 03-11-2011, 10:54 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

I don't know about the laws where you are but most places allow you to have a gun in your home without a permit. The permits are mostly to carry in public. You'd have to check with your police or sheriff's department about the requirements on that and those for revoking his carry permit and future consequences.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:57 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

They didn't take any guns or look for them. All they did was serve him with papers. He gave the gun he had to his brother, but I'd bet if he ever wanted it back, he'd get it.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:24 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I did get my restraining order today for 6 mths, but they are going to let him have the gun back when it's over. I don't think I have the energy to file charges and put him in jail over this. Don't know if I even care enough to do so, it isn't like these people he lives with, doesn't know what he is like and what he might be capable of, so if they are so dumb they let him bring a gun in their home, I think it makes it their problem, not mine.

Closed Thread