It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2011, 01:23 AM   #1
(female)

a mom HB User
Angry Losing My Mind with bipolar teen

Hi There Everyone,
I am mom to a 17 year old bipolar teen and I'm losing my mind. She's gone from being a decent teenage daughter to being defiant and lies constantly. She had a crush on a boy who she kissed then told him later she wasn't interested because she wanted to finish school before dating. Well at first he was okay with being friends with her. Now he has a girlfriend and has told her it's awkward to be around her and asked her not to sit by him.

Lately, she's been extremely manic lately. Wants to fight with me constantly, lies constantly to my face. I know some of the things because I monitor things. She'll act dead or manic right now.

She don't know that I know the boy told her to leave him alone. She's still contacting him and he'll have a conversation still.

Now she's decided she's going to dress "Goth" for attention next week. When she was hurt in an auto acccident she was totally enjoying the attention. She is on medication for it. been bipolar for under 2 years and ADHD since 7 years old.

She's always been my sweet loving child now I feel like I'm living with a complete stranger that I'm struggling to trust.

I don't know what to do with her. She's using a close friend to follow through with her plan.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2011, 12:24 AM   #2
(female)

givemenovacaine HB User
Re: Losing My Mind with bipolar teen

Quote:
Originally Posted by a mom View Post
Hi There Everyone,
I am mom to a 17 year old bipolar teen and I'm losing my mind. She's gone from being a decent teenage daughter to being defiant and lies constantly. She had a crush on a boy who she kissed then told him later she wasn't interested because she wanted to finish school before dating. Well at first he was okay with being friends with her. Now he has a girlfriend and has told her it's awkward to be around her and asked her not to sit by him.

Lately, she's been extremely manic lately. Wants to fight with me constantly, lies constantly to my face. I know some of the things because I monitor things. She'll act dead or manic right now.

She don't know that I know the boy told her to leave him alone. She's still contacting him and he'll have a conversation still.

Now she's decided she's going to dress "Goth" for attention next week. When she was hurt in an auto acccident she was totally enjoying the attention. She is on medication for it. been bipolar for under 2 years and ADHD since 7 years old.

She's always been my sweet loving child now I feel like I'm living with a complete stranger that I'm struggling to trust.

I don't know what to do with her. She's using a close friend to follow through with her plan.

Is she getting help with medications? And if she does have medications is she taking them regularly? Make sure that you monitor her when she takes her medications. And it takes a while for the medications to really kick in and if you/she feels like they aren't working hard enough it is essential to talk to the psychiatrist ASAP about this so that way you can both go back on track. You can call her psychiatrist autonomously and tell them what you have observed without your daughter knowing and they will talk to her about it when they have their next appointment. This is really hard and I admire what you have been through and I know that you love your daughter very much and I just hope that this helps even a little. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2011, 01:13 AM   #3
(male)

etsnyder HB User

I agree that getting the meds on time is the utmost importance, and you as a parent needs to see that it is done. So far as having a friend get her through this, you first need two understand the mathematics of teenagers. You have a teenager hopefully with 1/2 a brain, then multiply a friend with 1/2 brain, you then have 2 teenagers with 1/4 a brain between them. Then throw in a couple more friends. You then have 4 teenagers with a 1/16 of a brain between all four, and so on. --et--

Old 06-02-2011, 05:10 PM   #4
(female)

ghelpmelivelife HB Userghelpmelivelife HB Userghelpmelivelife HB Userghelpmelivelife HB User

Hi, sorry for all your going through. Sounds like she needs some extended therapy and meds. I went through all of this with my son several years ago, and now he is fine and not on any meds. I wish the best for you and your daughter!! {{{hugs}}}

Old 06-02-2011, 10:50 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Hi, I'm sorry that you're having to go through this I know its hard and it sucks....but try to remember she's still your sweet little girl, that person is still in there.....she's just being driven by a confused teenager with a chemically imbalanced brain that has to handle being bipolar, which is tough for most adults, plus all the normal teen ager stuff. Try to think about the fact that life is really not easy for your daughter and i'm sure under that brave sassy persona, she's confused and scared and lonely. So even though she's driving you nuts please don't give up on her, just try to talk to her, normally, don't push the hard topics. make sure she takes her meds in front of you, so you know she is. Keep the meds in your posession, do not give them to her. Most of the psych meds we take have very high street values, that can be very tempting for a teenager with poor judgement.

and if you know she's taking the meds but they're just not doing the trick and keeping her stable, call her pdoc and get her in to get the meds modified.

Take care, stay strong, and just remember when you look at your daughter, that sweet baby girl is still there.

kat

Closed Thread