It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2011, 07:22 PM   #1
(female)

Tron8 HB User
Boyfriend refuses to get help... advice please

This is my first post so bare with me. I have been dating my boyfriend for about 9 months now. He has been very open with me and I have tried to be very understanding and helpful to him. I'm not sure how to help him bc he won't help himself. He was seeing a counselor for about 2 months while we were dating. The counselor suggested he see a psychiatrist to figure out if he has dysthymia disorder. He refuses to go and stopped seeing the counselor. He goes through cylces of being "normal" (fun, happy, funny, sweet, thoughtful) and being very depressed. I don't think he has Bipolar Disorder bc he does not have the extreme highs. He seems to go from average to very low. My problem now is that he needs help but he refuses to get help. He has seen therapists, taken meds (many different kinds that he says do not help), tried exercise and talk therapy. He says nothing helps. The meds did nothing and he is persistant that they can't help him. He also says that since he has seen so many psychologists, therapists, counselors, and psychiatrists they can't help him either. So he refuses to see anybody for help and refuses to think medicine can help him. I'm just not sure what I can do to help him. Any advice is appreciated! TIA!

Old 05-23-2011, 03:59 PM   #2
(female)

mellow HB Usermellow HB Usermellow HB Usermellow HB Usermellow HB User
Re: Boyfriend refuses to get help... advice please

It is hard to support (emotionally) a loved one who is so negative and down when it comes to getting help. It takes time and patience for therapy to help. Medicine also takes a lot of trial and error to find a balance. Maybe if the two of you try something out of the normal "therapy" environment he might feel a bit less apprehensive and more open to it like meditation or even support groups for people who have mental illness. Even going to the library and spending an hour in the self help section reading up on some of the different types of mental health issues and how so many people take years to find what works for them. At least he won't feel defeated and alone.

Just a thought!! Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to mellow For This Useful Post:
Tron8 (05-23-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
(female)

Tron8 HB User
Re: Boyfriend refuses to get help... advice please

Thank you very much for the ideas! I wouldn't have thought of those things. I'm going to try to find a support group and mention the idea! Thank you again!

Closed Thread