It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2011, 10:14 PM   #16
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: sudden psychosis 64 year old male

I hear ya, it can be very frustrating. But at least he's getting better, that's the important part.

kat

Old 09-15-2011, 02:04 AM   #17
(female)

Morganmaryn HB User

I am going through a similar experience, as about six weeks ago my husband (a 45 year old man) suddenly became paranoid, psychotic and delusional. He began believing that he was being "watched" by some unspecified government agency, that I am working with them to have him arrested (although he admits he cannot fathom the grounds for such an arrest) and that virtually everyone and everything in our lives is related to this. He also begin having auditory and visual hallucinations. He does not use drugs, drink or engage in anything that would cause such symptoms. This is not only a baffling situation, but it is also heartbreaking, as the man I married is now replaced with a fearful and confused version of his former self. He is finally in the psychiatric hospital, however they do not yet know what is wrong with him. I am holding out hope that he will recover and be able to resume his life, however I fear that he may have a serious condition (perhaps organic?) or that we will be coping with this for the long term...and unable to live the life that we planned. Does anyone have any advice or words of wisdom?

Last edited by Morganmaryn; 09-15-2011 at 02:07 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2011, 02:05 AM   #18
(female)

Morganmaryn HB User

I am going through a similar experience, as about six weeks ago my husband (a 45 year old man) suddenly became paranoid, psychotic and delusional. He began believing that he was being "watched" by some unspecified government agency, that I am working with them to have him arrested (although he admits he cannot fathom the grounds for such an arrest) and that virtually everyone and everything in our lives is related to this. He also begin having auditory and visual hallucinations. He does not use drugs, drink or engage in anything that would cause such symptoms. This is not only a baffling situation, but it is also heartbreaking, as the man I married is now replaced with a fearful and confused version of his former self. He is finally in the psychiatric hospital, however they do not yet know what is wrong with him. I am holding out hope that he will recover and be able to resume his life, however I fear that he may have a serious condition (perhaps organic?) or that we will be coping with this for the long term...and unable to live the life that we planned. Does anyone have any advice or words of wisdom or hope? To the original person who posted this thread: how is your father? Has he stabilized enough to return home?

Old 09-15-2011, 07:44 AM   #19
(male)

jackball502 HB User

Dad has been home and getting better. From the day he first went to our local psychiatric center to the day he was let out of the hospital was just at 30 days. While he has in the hospital he asked us not to call. I told him the hell with that. I would call and he would answer. We would visit on weekends and he would ask us not to come. We told him, "who the hell do you think you are? We're your family and we love you and we want you to come home." I talked to the nursing staff, his doctors, and even the custodian at the hospital to ask about him. We sent pictures of the family for him to have and look at. He would tell us that he thought they would never let him out. I assured him that if he did what he was told and took his medication he would get better. They let him out on a Monday evening. I took the day off of work to pick him up. We left that parking lot like we were breaking him out of prison or something. Since then, he has only had one follow up appointment. He is still on his medication. His family doctor says he will need to be on it for at least a year maybe two. You could see in his face that he was different, but the old dad has been coming back. He knows it is important to take his medicine. He sleeps much better now (he was a bad insomniac his whole life). He has had some weight gain, but who cares. Dad is home where he should be and getting better with the help of his friends and loved ones. What caused this? No answer. I vote insomnia & conscience. Will it come back? No answer. We'll make the best of the time we have and pray for the best. Good luck.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:51 AM   #20
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

Jackball, I'm so glad to read this positive update!
May your dad continue to improve and get back to his "old self"

Old 09-15-2011, 03:56 PM   #21
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

Jackball,

Is or was your Dad on any other meds for HPB or statins for cholesterol? Just curious to see if there's any connection.

Glad he's getting better. There's nothing more frightening than mental health issues. We feel so helpless.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:26 PM   #22
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Jack,

Glad to hear that your dad is home and doing better. Is his family doc the only one monitoring his psych meds? The only reason I ask is that it's normally better to have a pdoc (psychiatrist) monitor those meds if you have one near your fathers home that he could go to.

I thought some more about possibilities that brought this on, is it possible do you think that you dad might have suffered some trauma or been involved in something before he married your mom and started his family...something that none of you would know about per so, but might be eating at him all these years. Once again just a thought.

I really am glad that he's home and doing better, I hope it lasts and he's able to settle back into his normal routine life.

Keeping you and your family in my prayers,

Kat

Closed Thread