It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
(female)

travinda HB User
paranoia and manipulation

hi everyone
my boyfriend has some type of psychosis, not entirely sure which type but a top psychiatrist told me its not that relavant in his case. the issue i struggle with is the paranoia and delusions, he thinks the banks and the government are out to 'get' people, to monitor and exploit us. i have come to terms that he thinks in this way and its just part of the psychosis. however im concerned now as he has started to accuse me of being manipulative, when ever i say anything he says he knows what i really mean, i mean something different to what ive asked, and im upto some scheme to change his thinking. i dont see why he still wants to see me if he genuinely thinks this? he cuts others off completely when he feels it about them so im not sure why i am different, can anyone help me understand this, thanks

Old 06-25-2011, 06:57 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: paranoia and manipulation

Hello T,

Is he on medication and if so,are you 100 percent sure he is taking it/them?

Respectfully
Phoenix

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2011, 04:10 PM   #3
(female)

travinda HB User

thanks for replying, no he is not on medication, he wouldnt go back to the doctor as he s paranoid they are trying to make him ill, he avoids driving past the surgery or any hospital in case he is spotted, its become a big problem actually. there is no way he ll take meds, he doesnt believe there is anything wrong with him. he just thinks he feels unwell as food he has eaten all his life is bad for humans,it contains 'things' that are being added, and if he keeps eating a basic select diet he will get better and then he may want to go out again. its really dificult.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:50 AM   #4
(female)

stangbov HB User

Hi
I understand how you are feeling. My husband is diagnosed with bipolar but they are still "finding" things out about him. One of the things he suffers from is panic/paranoia. He thinks the neighbors are talking about him. He used to be associated with people in our small town but started thinking they were all talking about him and spreading rumors and then started seeing cop cars driving by to "observe" him. What started happening is his paranoia rubs off onto me. when someone is constantly looking over your shoulder to see who wants to hurt you in some fashion, it starts making you jumpy too! He has become a recluse and wants to stay that way until his dr. gets the right combo of meds. He's too afraid of "losing it" in public. Sometimes his paranoia will target me. He sometimes worrys that I will find someone else that can "fullfill my needs" and so at times, he has looked for signs of this in everything I say and do. He has waken me up to ask what I meant in an earlier statement I might've made. Or question why I did something a certain way, convinced suspiciously that he is onto a clue of my deceit. It drives me crazy and all I can do is refuse to feed into it and wait for it to pass which is usually does. I am so sorry you are going through this but I so understand what it's like to constantly monitor everything you say and do so you don't give him anything to suspect.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:16 AM   #5
(female)

travinda HB User

hi thanks for relpying, i keep thinking there must be a lot of partners out there going through this, not knowing what to do.
if i could get him to go to the doctor im sure it would help but there is no way he will go with all his delusions. i did get him to go once..... about 4 years ago when he wasnt quite so bad, they refered him to a psychologist but he wouldnt go. he wouldnt even tell the doctor half of what he was thinking as he believes his delusions are real so not related to any illness. it just feels impossible to get him into therapy of any kind now he has got this bad.
its harder as his family have got used to him not being able to go out and have taken advantage of him. they know there is something wrong and at times are as worried as i am, he tells them he is fine and wont tell them anything that he has told me.
how do you cope with the delusions and paranoia? do you pretend you agree with it or do you tell him he is wrong or just ignor it all together? and how do you comunicate with him when your trying to ignor it all? i just wondered how everyone else copes
thanks

Old 08-16-2011, 05:59 PM   #6
(female)

stangbov HB User

That's something that I struggle with a lot. I let him talk. I can tell he's really scared and really believes what he is seeing/hearing. So I listen to him and I reassure him that he's okay, it's going to be okay, and I'm still here. Part of him getting riled up is that he doesn't think I believe him (and really i don't know what is real and what is in his head if I'm not there to witness it) so it calms him that I am not telling him that it's not real (which he will translate to "you're crazy" in his mind), but I'm not telling him it is real either. I'm just listening you know? And then once he feels he has me as a sounding board, he can get it off his chest and calm down.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:06 PM   #7
(female)

travinda HB User

thanks again for replying, i will try just listening to him and not commenting. i havent herd from him this week as he s gone on a bit of a funny one, im debating just leaving him too it as i feel like running away, but at same time i worry about him.

Closed Thread