It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2011, 11:55 AM   #1
(female)

murillo HB User
Exclamation found out i was pregnant but my boyfriend's schizophrenic! HELP!

Ive been with my boyfriend for a year and half now. we recently found out i was pregnant. my boyfriend had a normal life when i first met him 4 years ago, He was a very happy dude had lots of friends, was very active. about 2 years ago he started hearing voices in his head and started disconnecting himself with the world. lost all his friends and stop trusting everybody, he thinks the whole world is against him. I'm the only person he talks to other than his family. i really don't know what to do. my mom tells me that no matter what i do she'll be there for me.

PLEASE HELP! I NEED ADVISE!

Last edited by Administrator; 07-16-2011 at 02:16 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to murillo:
sammichelle (07-16-2011)
Old 07-15-2011, 02:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: found out i was pregnant but my boyfriend's schizophrenic! HELP!

good thing you have a good mom who will be there for you

Last edited by Administrator; 07-16-2011 at 02:20 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2011, 02:41 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User

If you're worried about schizophrenia being hereditary, all the research I've done says that if only one parent is schizophrenic, the child's odds of developing schizophrenia are only 6%. This figure goes up quite a bit if both parents are schizophrenic, though.
So those are pretty good odds. There's a 94% chance that your child won't be schizophrenic.

Best of luck.

Last edited by Administrator; 07-16-2011 at 03:41 PM.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:41 PM   #4
(female)

tmwindy HB Usertmwindy HB Usertmwindy HB Usertmwindy HB User

You need to take care of yourself first. Schizophrenia is a very serious condition and he needs to be on some major medications. You shouldn't base your decision on his illness. However, with that in mind, please understand that trying to make him accept this baby would be a big mistake.

Last edited by Administrator; 07-16-2011 at 03:41 PM.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:49 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

00lady00 HB User00lady00 HB User00lady00 HB User00lady00 HB User00lady00 HB User00lady00 HB User00lady00 HB User

This is a tough situation, You need to do whatever you want to do, if you want to keep your baby you should, but, he's probably not going to stick around (from what it sounds). Just keep in mind that the decision is yours, not his, I had a guy tell me that I was going to ruin his life if I wanted to keep a baby (we had a pregnancy scare, but I wasn't pregnant) and that was pretty much the end for us, you don't say such a thing to someone you love and you don't make them feel forced to do something as serious as put their life/health at risk and not have a child, which is suppose to be a blessing.

Honestly though, if he's Schizo you may not want him in your kids life, I can't see how him not being emotionally stable is going to be good for your baby, make your own choice and let him live with his.

good luck!

Old 07-15-2011, 07:23 PM   #6
(female)

mugwump HB Usermugwump HB Usermugwump HB Usermugwump HB Usermugwump HB Usermugwump HB Usermugwump HB User

I have a friend whose father was schizophrenic (she's not), but her mother stayed with her father til he died of natural causes at a reasonably old age. She always felt like her mother should have left her father, even though the mother loved him before he turned schizophrenic. I think it was a very stressful environment to grow up in. I wonder if there is any genetic testing they can do? I guess maybe there isn't since I thought schizophrenia doesn't set in til like the 20's. Your life will be alot more difficult if your baby grows up to be schizophrenic. You didn't say how far along you are in your pregnancy. Putting the child up for adoption is another option, but if it didn't wind up being schizophrenic, you'd be putting it up for adoption for nothing. If you keep the baby, then you have more options to consider, regarding your boyfriend. It doesn't sound like he is in any mental condition to be a parent. It's stressful enough having kids. I think it would probably do you and your baby more harm than good to stay with him. Is he in therapy or on medication? Good luck. At least your mother is supportive.

The Following User Says Thank You to mugwump For This Useful Post:
murillo (07-16-2011)
Old 07-16-2011, 10:37 AM   #7
(female)

walkingtall HB Userwalkingtall HB Userwalkingtall HB Userwalkingtall HB Userwalkingtall HB Userwalkingtall HB User

Your body, your precious baby. He doesn't have to do a thing. Tell him thanks and go hang out with your support system. Bless your heart and that baby. Congrats

Closed Thread