It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2011, 06:44 PM   #1
(female)

camgb HB User
Husband with mood disorder

My husband is 58 years old and about 6 years ago was diagnosed with major depression, ADHD and anxiety. He was able to take anti-depressants for about 1.5 years; then it stopped working. He tried for another year to find one that would work and finally decided "no more" and dealt with the depression. He did take Ritalin for ADHD and Xanax for anxiety. Then two years ago he had his first manic episode after taking a prescription drug. It lasted for several months and then he went into a depression. Several months ago he had another manic episode; he no longer appears to be manic, but is still delusional and distant. He talks about GOD having his back, he talks about having million dollars and he talks about how it is all my fault and wanting to divorce me. He threw me out of the house almost three months ago and refuses to talk to me; says he has moved on and I need to do the same (we have been married 38 years). He hasn't contacted our grown children or grandchildren for about a month and has found "trusted" (as he says it) new friends in a 20 year old male, 39 year old male and a couple in their 50's ....all who do not work. My question is, has anyone experienced anything like this? I realize he has mental illness; but I thought at some point he would return to more of himself and realize that everything he has been feeling for the last several months is due to the manic episode and would stop pursuing the divorce and reconcile with his family. Unfortunately, that has not happened. His family will welcome him back and help him anyway we can; but he needs to acknowledge that he has a problem and actively work to help himself improve.

Last edited by camgb; 09-15-2011 at 06:48 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread